Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GRE score for urban planning program

GRE score for urban planning program

I just took GRE and I got like 1370 (620V and 750M) I am an international student. The score is kind of low........but I really want to apply to some top schools.......
    Is there any chance to get admitted? How important is that score?
    Any ideas would be appreicated.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    You should be fine. It seems that most programs do not look at the GREs as the most important piece of the puzzle.

I got a 1200 on the GRE and got into 3 top 10 schools. I think I got in because the other pieces of my application easily made up for the marginal score.

Good luck.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    That's reassuring, drjb. I got an 1150 and I've applied to some top schools as well. Luckily I'm not relying on my score too much. It's my good looks that'll get me admitted!

Registered
    Sep 2007
    your score is above or at the average for every single planning program in the country. it shouldn't be an issue.

excuse me

excuse me. that GRE is necessary for M.A program or B.A program ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by redgoat3003 View post
    M.A. GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination; it's exclusively for graduate school admissions.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I see.GRE score is not so important.

If I do decide on grad school I am terrified of the GRE because I don't test well. However, I am hoping to fall back on experience as well as success in the field of planning. Same with AICP, I may take the exam but need four years experience....comments?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by redgoat3003 View post
    Each graduate program is different. In some programs, every applicant is required to take the GRE. In other programs, it is only required if you have a less than a certain GPA, in which case you might be placed on probationary status if you are accepted and enroll in the program. In other programs, the GRE is not required at all.

Quote Originally posted by AirGarcia View post
    If I do decide on grad school I am terrified of the GRE because I don't test well. However, I am hoping to fall back on experience as well as success in the field of planning. Same with AICP, I may take the exam but need four years experience....comments?
    I contacted APA regarding AICP maintenance while in graduate school. I hope to do this when I work on my MLA in a few years. It can be done, and you can be placed on an unemployed status. You "might" be able to petition for a reduction in CM hours while you are in school. I "think" you can take the AICP exam in graduate school, but you need to already have the required years of documented professional planning experience (so you would really have had to be working as a planner before you went back to school).
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 20 Feb 2008 at 8:52 AM. Reason: double reply

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I contacted APA regarding AICP maintenance while in graduate school. I hope to do this when I work on my MLA in a few years. It can be done, and you can be placed on an unemployed status. You "might" be able to petition for a reduction in CM hours while you are in school. I "think" you can take the AICP exam in graduate school, but you need to already have the required years of documented professional planning experience (so you would really have had to be working as a planner before you went back to school).
    Yeh I definately plan on accruing the required 4 years experience before taking exam, then thinking about grad school. It's nice that you get a cm lag or credit while not working and in school....technically, couldn't some of the classwork be considered CM, I mean it's keeping up with the topics and theories of the time right?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    http://www.planning.org/cm/activities.htm#criteria

I think you can include coursework.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Oct 2011, 5:42 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Jul 2009, 8:15 AM
  3. Replies: 7