Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Smart growth in the 2008 presidential campaign (was: Presidential Politics)

Registered
    Dec 2007

'Smart growth' in the 2008 presidential campaign (was: Presidential Politics)

I have a question about Clinton's Energy policy which I wanted to pose to planners.

Her plan (unlike Richardson's, Obama's and Edwards') fails to explicity use the term "smart growth", instead describing something that sounds like "smart growth".

Will the failure to explicitly use the term, which has an established literature and set of criteria, impair the ability to evaluate projects and to determine whether a project receives funding?

I also notice that instead of requiring or setting preferences in funding for "smart growth" she says she wants to "encourage". Am I being too cynical, or is this fantastically vague and unlikely to change current development patterns?

Moderator note:
    Please use descriptive thread titles in the professional sub-forums. Thanks and carry on. ~Gedunker
    Last edited by Gedunker; 31 Dec 2007 at 8:33 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yes, it is a little vague. But what else do you expect from politicians. Here's a link to an article on presidential campaigns and their environment/energy policy.

Can Presidential Candidates Speak to Smart Growth Issues?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1638
    Last post: 17 Nov 2008, 12:33 PM
  2. Replies: 62
    Last post: 05 Mar 2008, 2:44 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Oct 2004, 10:25 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Apr 2004, 8:44 PM