Closed thread
Page 11 of 164 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 3

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Meetup at O'Hare, stat!
    Chicago and a partly frozen Lake Michigan shortly after sunrise made for a stunning scene viewed from the airplane on the descent into O'Hare. Now we are waiting for the marathon flight....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Bon voyage, kjelsadek! Look forward to your international posts!

Got to check out a new Smart Car (tm) yesterday. I think it is pretty cute... a perfect commuter vehicle, with just two seats and a storage area large enough for hauling groceries. I bet it's a cinch to parallel-park! I sat in the driver's seat and found much to my surprise that it does not feel as claustrophobic as one might think.

I think a diesel version is coming out. This one will have even better gas mileage.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Best of luck with your travels kjelsadek!

Im tired, no sleep last night- it was so humid and muggy.

Im going on an outback adventure this coming weekend with my twin brother- i have been there before, but i cant wait to go again! I will be spending Australia in the centre of Australia! How cool is that!

Of course pictures will follow!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Wedding planning sucks.

This adventure of mine is turning out to be less thrilling than I originally anticipated. I feel very, very alone, and very disconnected. I hate having to call people and say, "check my mail, did I get anything?" It's the simple things like that which are driving me nuts. Uh, well, more nuts than I already am.

Of course, by doing this, I'm basically signing up for a nomadic life, so I had best get used to it.

I will admit, however, that the scenery out here is amazing.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Hong Kong Baby!

After 15 hours and 45 minutes in the air, flying over the North Pole, Siberia, Mongolia, and Mainland China we arrived in Hong Kong! We are dead tired and will be getting on a plane to Singapore in two hours. Hey, at least there is free WiFi here
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Wedding planning sucks.
    We tried to warn you to elope.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    That was my mama's favorite long-time secret word growing up. Whenever one of her three daughters played around with a hand towel on the head and anything resembling a bouquet in hand...

"What's the magic word?"
    "ELOPE!" **
    It's not too late. Your local municipality might have a slot tomorrow or Friday.

**...but it didn't work; my three sibs have had 6 weddings between them!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Boy, I injurjed my wrist the other week and spent the last two taking it easy and rehabbing it to the point where life was tolerable...

Then... the new dog decided to take up defensive measures against the old dog regarding possession of the tennis ball...

Broke up a dog fight and then re-aggrivated my wrist.

Stupid dogs. Now I am trying to type with a wrist brace and hopefully can get back to weight lifting this week.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    NASCAR...Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.
    'nuff said.

Damn cold golfing this morning. Stiff breeze, cool temperatures. Played havoc with my game so I shot a nice even 100. 52 on the front, 48 on the back. I don't strike the ball well under those conditions. Only lost one ball...the first shot of the day got wet. Mulligan!!
    Annoyingly insensitive

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    So I go to take the boys bowling yesterday for some "mom and kid" time...I am tryingto pick out a ball for the youngest, I hand him one and turn around to find one a little lighter and I hear a bowling ball hit theground. I turned around to yell at him to be careful and all I see is him jumping up and down holding hishand and screaming. I grab him and go to grab his hand and see his fingernail hanging off! Poor baby dropped the ball, tried to catch it and it landed on his little hand...one broken finger, one missing fingernail and one more visit to the ER. Everyone teased me about ER visits with 2 boys, I never thought it would be 4 in six years!! One for a broken leg with my oldest (bike riding accident), one for a concussion with the little one (roller skating accident), one for sickness with the little one and now a broken finger....so much for the boys and I tring anything fun!! But we did of course get some free passes to come back to the bowling alley notso sure he is going to want to try bowling any time soon....
    Poor little guy (he's only 6) his hand is screwed up!! But go figure he wanted to go to daycare today to show off his injury!! He made it through 5 hours!! He's a strong little guy, stronger than Mom... I almost fainted wheni saw his nail hanging from his finger!!!!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    NASCAR...Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks. 'nuff said.
    I totally agree. Sorry Rednecks.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I totally agree. Sorry Rednecks.
    It could get worse. Not working now. Saw Jeff Gordon as a substitute for Regis on Regis and Kelly on Friday. I never saw the show, even with that nut case Kathy Lee, until a couple months ago. Oh, maybe I need a life...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Mrs. O was fixing kale for dinner tonight. One step in the process is to remove the leaves from the center stem. The dog was waiting around for things to hit the floor. The dog (1) hates kale leaves, (2) loves kale "bones." A win-win if there ever was one.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    It is going to cost me AU$600 to recover photo files from a compact flash card.

I hate technology sometimes
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I can't believe I had never seen "the Dramatic Squirrel" until today....

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm waiting to see the first pizza company buy a SMART for use as a company delivery vehicle.

Anyways, if it is possible to rig a trailer hitch to one, it would be interesting to see someone go cross-country roadtripping with it, using a motorcycle trailer for the luggage. Apparently, SMARTs are autobahn-legal in Europe, so they are usable on highways and interstates here.

And yes, they are short enough that one can either park two of them conventionally in a parallel space - or park THREE of them crossways in that same space and not infringe on the street's travel lanes.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Okay, so most of you know that I prefer the the colder climates to the warmer climates, right?

Well, this morning is the beginning of a profound life change in me.

-10f DEGREES (-23c) is way too cold for my morning commute. The three blocks I walked just about froze my legs off. The Sun Belt is looking mighty attractive today...

My spirits lifted after seeing other footprints in the snow on the sidewalks (I was the only town resident that cleared the walks so far, it seems) but then I realized it was probably kids walking to the bus stop. Of course, it is trash day too and people do not have the forsight to place the trash cans in the gutter, rather they block the sidewalks with them.

Oh well, at least I am no longer driving 20 miles.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Okay, so most of you know that I prefer the the colder climates to the warmer climates, right?

Well, this morning is the beginning of a profound life change in me.

-10f DEGREES (-23c) is way too cold for my morning commute. The three blocks I walked just about froze my legs off. The Sun Belt is looking mighty attractive today...

My spirits lifted after seeing other footprints in the snow on the sidewalks (I was the only town resident that cleared the walks so far, it seems) but then I realized it was probably kids walking to the bus stop. Of course, it is trash day too and people do not have the forsight to place the trash cans in the gutter, rather they block the sidewalks with them.

Oh well, at least I am no longer driving 20 miles.
    Heck, I was outside for six hours in weather just about that cold this past Sunday (gotta LOVE season tix in the NFL!). Didn't feel cold at all, but I did dress for it. Too bad the Packers couldn't pull it out in OT. And did anyone catch the TV ratings numbers on that game, too (31.7/48 share)? I can only imagine what the numbers would have been on the Super Bowl had the Packers made it. As it is, they will only be ho-hum with the Giants.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Heck, I was outside for six hours in weather just about that cold this past Sunday (gotta LOVE season tix in the NFL!). Didn't feel cold at all, but I did dress for it. Too bad the Packers couldn't pull it out in OT. And did anyone catch the TV ratings numbers on that game, too (31.7/48 share)? I can only imagine what the numbers would have been on the Super Bowl had the Packers made it. As it is, they will only be ho-hum with the Giants.

Mike
    We used to have 3 prime seats for a handful of Bronco games in the old (and better) Mile High Stadium. It seemed that the 2-3 games we would choose to attend would always be the COLDEST/SNOWIEST games. Luckily, they packed you in the seats there, so you had some warmth by default of the large guys next to you (or my dad).

-Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I just sat down in my chair and caught a pocket on one of the arms. Ripped the sucker right out. Sadly, I've done this before.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    zman - real men wear silk long underwear -

....really, it works, not kidding - just spent a weekend in the NE Kingdom of Vermont and went hiking and sledding at 10 below, thanks to silk long underwear under wool pants and a nice Bean jacket!

and a little Bailey's (homemade) doesn't hurt either

Bailey's works too, btw - breakfast of champions especially if it's homemade!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 22 Jan 2008 at 3:32 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    It is bitterly, dangerously cold here today... and the window of my home office is leaking air like you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately, it's too hard to type with mittens on... let alone my big puffy primaloft mittens!

I think the local wildlife are desperate. Around 1:00 I went downstairs to have lunch, and there was a young deer standing right in front of our picture window! They don't usually show themselves in the light of day.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    zman -

and a little Bailey's (homemade) doesn't hurt either

Bailey's works too, btw - breakfast of champions especially if it's homemade!

Hows about your recipe?
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post

Mike
    Soooooo completely depressed....I thought it was fate. Turned out to be yet another bum overtime pass by #4....ughhh

Closed thread
Page 11 of 164 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141