Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Local government (US) domain names: .com, .org, .gov?

Registered
    May 2007

Local government (US) domain names: .com, .org, .gov?

I was just curious why some local governments/municipalities have their web addresses end with .com while others do with .gov or .org. What's the difference? Is it simply because some municipalities are incorporated as cities whereas other are not? Just wondering....

Also, are there any Asian planners out there? Anybody from Asia who is studying here in the States? How are you folks doing? What are your plans after graduating with your degree? Again, just out of curiosity...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Monster Planner View post

Also, are there any Asian planners out there? Anybody from Asia who is studying here in the States? How are you folks doing? What are your plans after graduating with your degree? Again, just out of curiosity...
    Hmmm what do you mean by Asian planners? Planners working in Asia or planners who are ethnically Asian but can be working elsewhere?

Didn't graduate from the States. Did my undergrad in Oz and working now in Singapore.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Monster Planner View post
    I was just curious why some local governments/municipalities have their web addresses end with .com while others do with .gov or .org. What's the difference? Is it simply because some municipalities are incorporated as cities whereas other are not? ...
    Depends on the ISP and the web designer and a few other things. Some jurisdictions snagged the .com suffix to make it easier for tourists and visitors. .gov is the offishul suffix, and it can be hard to remember the format (e.g. grand hyphen rapids dot mi dot us, or co dot ingham dot mi dot us...or is it dot gov??). Favorite City recently assumed gr-city.us for no explained reason.

Might be like the "pilot" thing that your institution used to employ.

HTH

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moving the thread from Career Advice to Information Technology because ... well, it doesn't have a thing to do with planning careers.

Also, start a new thread for each distinct topic if it's practical. Domain names and Asian planners can safely be considered distinctively different subjects.

The standard for domain names for political subdivisions in the United States is [ci, town, sil, co].[name of political subdivision].[two letter state abbreviation].us; for example, http://www.ci.buffalo.ny.us.

The long domain names are easy to remember for those that don't live in the community. However, many communities don't follow the standard because such domains aren't as marketing-friendly as something like http://www.city-buffalo.com. I remember working for a community with a long standard domain name, and I often had to repeat my email address several times to callers. If I was working for the City of Buffalo (I don't), and I was giving my email address to someone over the phone, what's easier?

* myname at cee eye dot buffalo dot en wye dot you ess
    * myname at city dash buffalo dot com

The long standard domain name can be a problem in states where many political subdivisions share the same name. For example, Ohio has nearly 30 different Madison Townships. Which one gets town.madison.oh.us?

Still, I wish more communities followed the standard domain naming scheme.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 1:26 PM
  2. Domain names gone wrong
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Mar 2007, 4:10 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 10:47 PM
  4. Welcome to local government
    Friday Afternoon Club