Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Eons.com: a facebook for boomers

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Eons.com: a facebook for boomers

While researching my SS fella, I found this site. Seems to be a Facebook or MySpace for those over 50. So of course I joined, created a profile, and then clicked on a couple of my keywords to see who else likes Garrison Keillor.

Up came one of his fellow Minnesotans, a former SNL comedian now running for public office. And he had no friends!

Now he has me, and I have him. Yup, Al Franken.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    While researching my SS fella, I found this site. Seems to be a Facebook or MySpace for those over 50. So of course I joined, created a profile, and then clicked on a couple of my keywords to see who else likes Garrison Keillor.

Up came one of his fellow Minnesotans, a former SNL comedian now running for public office. And he had no friends!

Now he has me, and I have him. Yup, Al Franken.
    Veloise,

Count me as a fan of Garrison Keillor. Been listening to him for more than 20 years. Almost every night I recite "The Finn Who Wouldn't Take a Sauna" to my son before he falls asleep. This weekend I was trying to float the idea of the family getting tickets to the PHC show and riding the train to the Twin Cities. My wife was less than excited, but I will work on her.

I would be Al's friend too.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I have a couple more years before I qualify for an account on Eons, but I'd love to be Al Franken's friend! What office is he running for now?

I finally signed up for LinkedIn, though I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm another who is a bit too young for Eons but I do love Garrison Keillor. The best birthday gift I got in many years was a ticket to go have lunch with him and meet him in person in 2006!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I have a couple more years before I qualify for an account on Eons, but I'd love to be Al Franken's friend! What office is he running for now?...
    Wikipedia has quite a page on him...US Senate for Minnesota. Democrat. It's his first (real) political campaign.

I'm recalling a candidate running against Ronnie Reagan who contested the air time provided in a re-run of "Bedtime for Bonzo" (or some such) and landed 14 minutes of free publicity. Does Stuart Smalley count?

Eons will accept 49'ers.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Nowhere close to being a boomer but I must say I am a fan of Keillor, specifically his "News from Lake Wobegon" segment.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Politics of Facebook
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 02 Jun 2011, 11:08 AM
  2. Facebook city games
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 10:52 AM
  3. Facebook etc.
    Friday Afternoon Club