Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dublin, OH: another Alexandria, or someplace better?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Dublin, OH: another Alexandria, or someplace better?

Of the many communities that frequently have openings for planners, one of them is Dublin, Ohio, an affluent, growing suburb of Columbus.

As far as the working environment goes, does Dublin city government share a similar environment with Alexandria, Virginia, or is there another reason why planner turnover there seems so high?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Can't speak to the working environment, as my one visit was for an iteration of the Midwest Tandem Rally.

Despite the folksy name and shamrock DDA banners, it's your typical suburban sprawl. Boulevard streets, office parks, no real there there. I'd rather live in a quaint 'hood near the statehouse than another place where the streets are too wide.

HTH

[does O-DOT have a Cleveland office? Can you work for them?]

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I've never worked there, but as someone who lives near there, I can agree with the 'no there there' comment. There's Muirfield Village near the Memorial Golf Course and a small, village-like historical area off of Rt. 161 through Dublin, but its only a few blocks. Most of the city consists of cookie-cutter subdivisions and wide sprawling roads.

I've never heard that it is especially political or difficult to work there, but the one contact I knew who worked there didn't give many details. He indicated that it was more of a jumping off point for him to work in a larger city. It's not much, but I hope it helps!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My former company moved their corporate headquarters to Dublin about 1.5 years ago. Most of what I've heard about the place is that it's your typical suburban area, nothing fancy. No one said anything bad about it, but the vanilla-esque area did come across as bland.

I looked at their website, and also did a little research. It seems to be a growing suburb, and they are looking for someone with code writing experience. I'll ask a former coworker, who works at the HQ, what he knows. He's a former city planner in another suburb, so maybe he knows someone, or something, of interest.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2005
    FWIW - their Planning Director is relatively new, having left a private sector firm with offices in Michigan. His name was well known throughout the Michigan planning world.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    FWIW - their Planning Director is relatively new, having left a private sector firm with offices in Michigan. His name was well known throughout the Michigan planning world.
    Not Mr "give me one" [copy of my resume when mentioned in a conference session, how I always bring them with me]!!
    I thought he purchased an Ag property (i.e. bought the farm) like the former City director did.
    (See, Dan, you should attend our conferences.)

Registered
    Sep 2007
    What's the deal in Alexandria? Is it a very political atmosphere? It's somewhere that I always wanted to work in one of those 'what-if' scenarios.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    My former company moved their corporate headquarters to Dublin about 1.5 years ago. Most of what I've heard about the place is that it's your typical suburban area, nothing fancy. No one said anything bad about it, but the vanilla-esque area did come across as bland.

I looked at their website, and also did a little research. It seems to be a growing suburb, and they are looking for someone with code writing experience. I'll ask a former coworker, who works at the HQ, what he knows. He's a former city planner in another suburb, so maybe he knows someone, or something, of interest.
    Dan,
    I have a contact for you, if you're still interested. He's a former planner with the City of Dublin. PM me if you want the contact info.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have not worked in Dublin, but I have had many friends who have and I worked two suburbs over.

I don't think it is like Alexandria in that I don't think people are trying to get out. I think that Dublin is a wealthy community that values their planning department. They have something like 20 planners and 6 interns at any time. For a community that is as small as theirs, I think this is amazing.

I think Dublin's main problem is that they have pigeon- holed themselves into the New Urbanist/clean cut status, which leaves some planner's bored. Although I don't know this from experience, I know that that is a large reason I have never applied for a job there.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I wonder which municipality in the central Ohio area offers the most exciting atmosphere to work in? Columbus? New Albany? Westerville? On the surface, it looks like innovation is sorely lacking.

It's nice to know that Dublin values it's planning dept. so well. I've seen some of the planning website there and it seems comfortable. Since I'm still starting out, I'd love to work there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Alexandria VA
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Apr 2012, 6:10 PM
  2. Someplace Else I'd Rather Be
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Oct 2010, 9:26 PM
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Cities and Places