Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I need help deciding between two jobs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

I need help deciding between two jobs

I'm looking at the possibility of switching jobs in the near future. I don't know what the right choice would be. So-here's the rundown of the two jobs:

Job#1
    Current planning position with County
    In smaller city
    First full-time job out of grad school
    Been here since August
    Fiance commutes for 3.5 hours a day
    Learning a lot but bored most of the time

Job #2
    Federal job
    In larger city
    Fiance works there
    Pay raise
    Work is more to my liking, although the potential for boredom still exists

My fiance and I have similar backgrounds and staying at my current job would help further differentiate us. However, his commute is too long and there aren't any good places to live in between our two jobs.

Thoughts, ideas, questions would be appreciated.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Just based on the details you've posted, I'd be inclined to go with Job #2, unless you find living in your current smaller city immensely preferable to living in the larger city...

(3.5 hours in the car per day? Yikes.)
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    Unless you don't want to move to a larger city, then #2 seems to be the answer.

And there's potential for boredom in any job. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    My biggest concerns are:

*Leaving my current job (I like our Director a lot and I know he'll be disappointed) and the repercussions for my resume, i.e. 6 month stints at jobs don't look good
    *My fiance and I having essentially the same resume.

The plus for us working at this specific same place is that when we can move together and be guaranteed that we'd both have positions that wouldn't necessarily even be in the same office.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    My biggest concerns are:

*Leaving my current job (I like our Director a lot and I know he'll be disappointed) and the repercussions for my resume, i.e. 6 month stints at jobs don't look good
    That isn't so bad if you don't make a habit of it - I have a seven-month stint with one firm on my resume that no one's had a problem with.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Do Federal jobs still help repay student loans? If so, that'd be my answer right there.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    . . . . 6 month stints at jobs don't look good . . .
    I had a nine month stay at one job a few years back. I've only been asked about it once in a subsequent job interview. When I described how where I was going was too good an offer to pass up, they understood. Also, it helped that I stayed at the next job for many years. If you can put in say, maybe a solid year at the new place, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I would lean more towards option one if you can find a better commuting situation for the fiance. I can't say I have known many people that work for the feds that have liked it long term, especially if that agency if HUD.

Regardless, don't let a short stint on the resume scare you. It has become a lot more common just be able to explain it. My last two jobs were for less than a year and I had little trouble finding another place to work.

Best of Luck.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like the second job is the better choice, though I've heard that working for the Feds can be tough.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero View post
    Do Federal jobs still help repay student loans? If so, that'd be my answer right there.
    Oh yeah, that's another thing. There is that possibility. MrTresmo is looking into it.

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I would lean more towards option one if you can find a better commuting situation for the fiance. I can't say I have known many people that work for the feds that have liked it long term, especially if that agency if HUD.
    The problem is that there is NO option locally for him (in the right field). All the options are at least an hour away, usually putting the commute in the same range it is now. It isn't HUD, it's the Department of Defense. Anyone heard about working there?

They have my resume and everyone where MrTresmo works wants me to work there, too, so then they'll be more likely to keep both of us working for them (and MrTresmo will be less burned out from the commute). I'll be "up" for the next opening but it would likely be a few months before I'd start. Plus we'd have to break our lease, move, etc.

And thank you all for the input, I appreciate it.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    It sounds like you have already made your decision. Being closer to home with a long commute is always a nice option.

I know a few DoD GIS workers in Maryland. They liked there job. In fact on in Qatar doing providing support for the War in Iraq. For her DoD does not offer student loan repayment which is why she volunteered for the duty, to pay off her student loans with the30% pay differential and no housing or food expenses.

Each federal agency chooses if they offer loan repayment. In some agency it varies by department. IF the fiancé can't find out ask when you are interviewed.

Keep in mind that the Fed's are notorious for stretching out start dates. I have known people that have waited several months longer than promised. It is ussually a hang up at the home office in DC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    It sounds like you have already made your decision. Being closer to home with a long commute is always a nice option.
    I haven't quite yet, but I feel that it's kind of inevitable. The job is a lot better, short-term and long-term. Another reservation I have is that I'd like to move to the midwest in the future (within 10 years) and this agency doesn't have many jobs there.

I know a few DoD GIS workers in Maryland. They liked there job. In fact on in Qatar doing providing support for the War in Iraq. For her DoD does not offer student loan repayment which is why she volunteered for the duty, to pay off her student loans with the30% pay differential and no housing or food expenses.
    Our loans aren't huge, they're just Grad school loans that we took out while we had assistantships with stipends. I've heard about deals like that, good pay, free housing, and living in a place no one else wants to.

Keep in mind that the Fed's are notorious for stretching out start dates.
    We experienced that with MrT's job. We desperately needed two salaries to cover surprise car costs, etc., and they took forever in getting him officially hired. Whatcha gonna do?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I was in the military I had lots of interaction with DoD personnel at all different levels and they all seemed pretty happy with their jobs. I also worked with the State Department for a while and found those folks to be a lot grumpier about their work than the DoD people.

Once I got out of the Marine Corps and finished my undergraduate work, I went to work for the Department of Veterans Affairs and absolutely hated it (as did just about everybody I came into contact with in that agency).

Now, I haven't done any actual research on this, but it seems that as the budget increases for a federal agency, there is a direct raise in the happiness factor of that agencies employees.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    When I was in the military I had lots of interaction with DoD personnel at all different levels and they all seemed pretty happy with their jobs. I also worked with the State Department for a while and found those folks to be a lot grumpier about their work than the DoD people.
    They all seem pretty happy to me, too, that's another point it that job's favor. They have a strong sense of family.

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Now, I haven't done any actual research on this, but it seems that as the budget increases for a federal agency, there is a direct raise in the happiness factor of that agencies employees.
    Good point! That would be true anywhere-as the money increases, happiness increases-better facilities, higher salaries, etc.

I'll stay away from Veteran's Affairs!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    No worries on the 6-month wonder job. Engaged folks make plenty of decisions and you can always play that card.

Commuting longer than an hour (even that!) is dreadful.

Leases can be broken (again, play the engagement card).

For more advice, just ask those two crazy kids in the Panhandle...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm wondering if, since you are planning/hoping on relocating to another area of the country, having both of you working at the same office, in an agency with few jobs in your desired area, might be a disadvantage.

I wouldn't worry too much about the six month stint on the resume for reasons stated above, however if it is a job you are enjoying and you are learning a lot, I would be a bit leery of leaving just because of your SO's commute issues. Surely there must be some other options to explore? Is DoD flexible in terms of working from home or doing a compressed work week?

Although government is stable, I wouldn't want to have both income earners working in the same place...just in case of some unforseen circumstances.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I'm wondering if, since you are planning/hoping on relocating to another area of the country, having both of you working at the same office, in an agency with few jobs in your desired area, might be a disadvantage.
    This has occurred to me and it's a concern.

I wouldn't worry too much about the six month stint on the resume for reasons stated above, however if it is a job you are enjoying and you are learning a lot, I would be a bit leery of leaving just because of your SO's commute issues. Surely there must be some other options to explore? Is DoD flexible in terms of working from home or doing a compressed work week?
    He already just works 9 days every 2 weeks. They may have further options but since he's been there a short time, they aren't yet available to him. I am leery of leaving just because of the commute issues, I'd almost rather leave for some other, third job that is in that metro but not with the same place. This would also keep us from being employed at the same place and less likely to both lose our jobs if something happens, to your point below.

Although government is stable, I wouldn't want to have both income earners working in the same place...just in case of some unforseen circumstances.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I just got an email from that employer offering to start the hiring process. Ugh. I hate big decisions.

The other wrinkle is that I don't have my thesis done, and if I get it done before I start, I'll have a salary $7,000 above where it would be now.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I just got an email from that employer offering to start the hiring process. Ugh. I hate big decisions.

The other wrinkle is that I don't have my thesis done, and if I get it done before I start, I'll have a salary $7,000 above where it would be now.
    Best of luck in your decision and our thesis! Let us know what you decide.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I just want to thank everyone for the input! I've finished the thesis and will get my master's in May.

As for the jobs, I'll be starting the new job in May, maybe April, depending on how the paperwork goes. I like what I'll be doing there more and it will cut way down on MrT's commute times. Now we'll be able to see each other during the week.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 33
    Last post: 08 Dec 2011, 3:40 PM
  2. Deciding between two job offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 4:44 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Mar 2010, 1:18 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Jun 2009, 9:44 PM