Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: help me plan my Mardi Gras/House-warming party

Registered
    Aug 2005

help me plan my Mardi Gras/House-warming party

all this talk about Mardi Gras and king cakes has me missing NOLA. so in the true spirit of New Orleans i thought i'd throw a party.

additionally i recently bought a house and people have been bugging me to have some kind of housewarming party. so again i was thinking and came up with the Mardi Gras/House-warming party.

now comes the fun part - planning the party:

i'm thinking:

king cake
    hurricanes
    jambalaya

between me and my dad we have a decent collection of Mardi Gras/Cajun/Zydeco/Jazz/NOLA music.

i think i have a box or bag of beads somewhere but i suppose we might have to invest in more.

what other suggestions do you have?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    ...what other suggestions do you have?
    Pick a date that's not the weekend before FT nor that date. (Feb 2-5). That way you can invite a brass band or a couple musicians to stop in. (Good luck finding one. I searched all over the western half of Michigan for 6 months and still didn't locate anyone available...)

Purple green & gold decor

Tell the invitees to wear the colors

Masks? (These can be a PITA. I sometimes wear one on my head like a visor, and decorate with them rather than hand out to impair people's vision.)

By pure happenstance, there's an excellent CD at my elbow today. "Hurricane Relief." Another good one is
    Dixieland Hymns" by Green Hill.

Zatarain's (rice mix) is your friend!

ETA: the "tradition" of flashing for beads is a modern aberration...with my Cajun & Zydeco band we did many family parties, and tossed beads to those who got up and danced
    Last edited by Veloise; 11 Jan 2008 at 1:13 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Lots and lots of beads...plus lots of booze...and masks are a must (helps those who may be bashfull about the bead tradition).
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

You are going to send out invitation to all of us on the Cyurbia Forum, right, and you have beds or places for us to sleep since most of us will probably drink too much to drive anywhere. Music by Dr. John would be a nice touch. You are doing a big breakfast the next morning for all of your hung over guests.....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Gumbo is an absolute must to any NOLA-themed party menu. Add red beans and rice to that as well.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Don't forget the beignets in the morning.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It wouldn't be Mardi Gras-themed party unless you have at least one fat, half-drunk cop. If he has a cheesy moustache, that is lagnaippe.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    great ideas, everyone!

Planderella, do you have a good gumbo recipe?

I'll will add red beans and rice to the list.

i believe i have some Cafe du Monde beignet mix, but no coffee.

we're shooting for Feb. 2nd for the partay.

i'll have to keep my eyes open for that cop, Otterpop! we've got mustaches galore in Upstate! (on the men and the women! )

of course anyone from Cyburbia is welcome. we've got extra beds and pets to keep you warm.

can i make it BYOH - Bring your own Hurricane?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    What, you're not making all your guests eat those icky big bugs... er... crawfish?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup....

Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    Lots and lots of beads...plus lots of booze...and masks are a must (helps those who may be bashfull about the bead tradition).
    Also, start the pre-party at 5PM so people are nice and toasted for the bead tradition It would help if you have a balcony or landing

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    May 2004
    great ideas, everyone!

Directions are on the box. I have found that skipping the "brown a couple pats of butter" does not change the flavor.

i believe i have some Cafe du Monde beignet mix, but no coffee.
    Beignet are messy and greasy to make (and eat). Yes, that's what makes them good. But you couldn't miss with something else such as Bananas Foster or bread pudding.

FWIW, Folger's is a NOLA brand. (They had an interesting time of it right after Katrina, while Community, based in Baton Rouge, was able to keep production rolling.)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I would love to get my hands on a good gumbo recipe
    Here's a jumbalaya recipe I've been using that everyone seems to love around here
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...1&postcount=42
    Its hard to find Andouille sausage around here. Usually end up using the Johnsonville andouille

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    What, you're not making all your guests eat those icky big bugs... er... crawfish?

i WISH we had crawfish but alas we're poor and in Upstate NY i would probably cost a pretty penny to fly in crawfish, as delicious as they may be.

Registered
    May 2004
    i WISH we had crawfish but alas we're poor and in Upstate NY i would probably cost a pretty penny to fly in crawfish, as delicious as they may be.
    Check the freezer section. When I was in the pertinent band, we played a gig where the chef kept pulling out quick-froze crawdads, adding them to the flavored pots.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    I would love to get my hands on a good gumbo recipe
    In Crescent Dragonwagon's Soup and Bread cookbook is an outstanding gumbo recipe. It is snotberry - I mean okra - free and is the best I have ever had. Full disclosure: it is a lot of work and it is her version of gumbo, which may not be what you are used to. In many cases, based on my experience, that is good thing.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    between me and my dad we have a decent collection of Mardi Gras/Cajun/Zydeco/Jazz/NOLA music.
    If your collection doesn't include anything by the Meters, find some! Great, funky NOLA sound.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    It is snotberry - I mean okra - free
    That's the best kind

*get's bonked in the head and remided to drink a V-8

Registered
    May 2004

King Cake recipe

Found on E-bay. (They are selling tech support for the directions.)

King Cake

For cake and filling:
    1 box (16 ounces) Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix, prepared according to directions on box
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    1½ teaspoons cinnamon
    ⅓ cup unsalted butter at room temperature

For icing:
    2 cups confectioner’s sugar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons water
    1 cup granulated sugar (large crystals)
    3 or 4 drops of purple, green or yellow food coloring

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cream the butter, sugar and cinnamon together until soft enough to spread easily.

3. To make the dough, follow directions on the Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix package. Instead of forming rolls, turn half the dough onto a floured surface, and roll into a 2-foot-by-1- foot rectangle. Spread half the butter and filling mixture on top of dough.

4. Beginning at the wide edge, roll the dough toward you into a long cigar shape about 2 inches in diameter. Do the same with the second half of the dough. Place each dough roll seam-side down on a well-greased baking sheet. Curve each roll, pinching the ends of the two rolls together to make one oval ring. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.

5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a straw inserted into the dough comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool.

6. To prepare the glaze, combine sugar, lemon juice and water, mixing until smooth. Slowly add more water by the teaspoon until it spreads as easily as a thin icing.

7. Place ⅓ cup sugar in each of three small jars with lids. Add three drops of food coloring to each. Cover with lid and shake until color is evenly distributed throughout the large sugar crystals. Add food coloring, drop by drop until desired shade is achieved.

8. Coat the cake top with glaze. Sprinkle colored sugars in 2- to 3-inch alternating rows of purple, green and yellow. Cut and serve.

Makes 12 servings

ETA: Also on Ebay: someone's selling a candle that looks like a King cake. 170185623506 (WHY?!?)
    Last edited by Veloise; 13 Jan 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    If your collection doesn't include anything by the Meters, find some! Great, funky NOLA sound.
    it wouldn't be a collection without the Meters! done and done.

bleck! y'all can keep the okra. i wasn't down there long enough to get converted to an okra-lover.

thanks for the king cake recipe, V. i have one that i used last year that came out okay. but i want to try one with some kind of ooey-gooey sugary filling.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I never follow any set recipe. It's all in the roux. If you can get that started properly, everything else will fall into place.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 2005

bleck! y'all can keep the okra. i wasn't down there long enough to get converted to an okra-lover.
    Okra is the best...but there is only one way to cook it. Dredge it in corn mean then fry it in a cast iron pan. You have to eat it while it is hot and cruchy...fried okra does not keep well.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    wow - this does sound fine - I wish I could come!

have it right on Fat Tuesday so everyone will be good and hungover on Ash Wednesday, as it should be -

OT - we used to go to Hilltop in Saugus and eat steak like pigs on Fat Tuesday when we lived in Boston - fun stuff

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    wow - this does sound fine - I wish I could come!

have it right on Fat Tuesday so everyone will be good and hungover on Ash Wednesday, as it should be -

OT - we used to go to Hilltop in Saugus and eat steak like pigs on Fat Tuesday when we lived in Boston - fun stuff
    you're more than welcome to come. i'll even save the guest bedroom for you!

evites are out. we've invited over 80 people. i figure if we cast a large net we might get a decent showing. so far 10 have accepted 5 have declined. not too bad.

fwiw, there is a ton of crap out there that one can buy that is Mardi Gras themed. if i had the $$ i could see myself going slightly overboard.
    Last edited by Maister; 15 Jan 2008 at 2:05 PM. Reason: sequential posts

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Mardi Gras
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 04 Mar 2010, 9:40 AM
  2. Mardi Gras thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 21 Feb 2006, 10:35 PM
  3. Mardi Gras webcam
    Friday Afternoon Club