Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: High Definition: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

High Definition: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD

WB now supporting Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray has 5 of 7 major U.S. movie studios..

Which format do you support?

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Just bought a blue-ray to go with the new plasma. The reason was just what you indicated, more studios going with blue-ray. I was also told by the sales rep for best buy that more inlikey studios will release their movies in both formats initially but over time he felt that blue ray would win out. He also said that if you have kids go with blue-ray cause that is where disney and warner are at.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Am I the only one frightened by this much technology? I mean, come on, where will it end?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am sitting on the sidelines until someone wins. I am not sure that the new format is just another stop gap. Who remembers laser discs players?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This whole arguement reminds me of Betamax. I'm holding onto my CD's and DVDs and a few VHS' for the time being.

I hope it all backfires on 'em and people get so confused they stop buying stuff.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Its all stop gap technology until we get the chip implants.
    The sales person did indicate that it was the same old.

Why cant we just download Hi Def films into our media centers libraries and then play them on our high def systems OOps I guess we can. The
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I hope it all backfires on 'em and people get so confused they stop buying stuff.
    I keep waiting for that to happen. It seems to me that the differences in quality are not really discernible to the human eye, so what's the point? Oh yeah, changing the technology to sell us the same sh*t over and over so we can have one movie in ten different formats.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm not buying anything until we upgrade the living room t.v. and the new format discs come down in price; they cost way more than regular DVDs. We won't be upgrading the t.v. until RJ's 32-in Sony croaks and then we'll need some carpentry work done to accommodate a flat-screen. It's a ways down the road.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm not buying chit until they stop making regular DVDs and my 32" Sony gives up the fight-11 years and still going strong. As already mentioned this is reminiscent of the VHS-Beta rivalry of the 80's.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I am sitting on the sidelines until someone wins. I am not sure that the new format is just another stop gap. Who remembers laser discs players?
    Laser disks? Who remebers vinyl? Who remebers 8 tracks? Who remebers cassettes? Who remebers copying vinyl onto cassettes to reduce wear and scratches?

Gotta stop....and catch....my breath....

Who remembers why I'm ranting? Who remembers my name? Oh yea.........

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I think Blu-ray and HD-DVD are both stop gaps. On-demand of some type or another will take over as the dominant technology.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Oct 2010, 5:25 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Mar 2009, 3:40 PM
  3. Definitions High water table definition
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Oct 2006, 12:30 PM
  4. Replies: 55
    Last post: 03 Jun 2004, 3:05 PM