Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guess the Year #41 (back o' the comics edition)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Guess the Year #41 (back o' the comics edition)

Considering the number of years this ad ran you may have some difficutly - but still there are some clues to be found.

What year? And (optional) why do you think so?

Oh, and last but not least - has anyone here ever actually seen or grown these things?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 2005
    50 cent postage? This looks like 1972.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    While we're waiting for responses to come in, let's take a moment to discuss truth in advertising.

I'm sure the company that marketed those 'sea monkeys' was fairly successful when you recall how many years that ad ran. They probably also fulfilled the minimum legal requirements to cover their butts with the disclaimers too - the fine print, after all says "characters shown not intended to depict Artemia". Yeah right. But gosh, those sea creatures shown in the ad sure do look cute! And I'm sure every kid out there reading the ad was well acquainted with Linnaen biological classifications too and fully understood Artemia referred to brine shrimp.....you know, these cute cuddly li'l guys:

Gotta love the sincere candor in the claim that sea monkeys are "the most adorable, entertaining pets you've ever owned!" I'm sure I'd rather had some of those than, say, a puppy when I was a kid!

At any rate, the whole 'sea monkeys' concept was pure marketing genius.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Considering the picture of the family (human one, not the sea-monkey one), I'd have to shoot for the year of our Lord 1965.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    My sibs and I were doing aquariums in the late 60's, so I'll say 1967. (We'd buy frozen brine shrimp to feed the existing fish.)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm guessing 1972. And YES. I had sea monkeys!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Notice the strategic placement of the tail on the father sea monkey

Spinning the wheel and it lands on..........1968

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    Notice the strategic placement of the tail on the father sea monkey
    Concealed seamonkey schlong? (ooh! ooh! band name!!!)

And who doesn't appreciate our beautiful anthropomorphic mommy seamonkey with her coquettishly crossed legs, fetching hair bow, collagen injected lips, and 'come-hither' eyelashes?

Registered
    Jul 2002

sea monkeys

Judging by the 5 digit ZIP code and the art work, I guess about 1964. I never had them, but I remember the adds.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    how about 1966

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hint #1.....look at the last sentence "...seem to dance when you play a record or tape." so we can surmise this particular ad ran at a time when cassette tapes would have been common enough for kiddies to have ready access to a casette player.

One other important clue has alread been noted by someone else.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Hint #1.....look at the last sentence "...seem to dance when you play a record or tape."
    It could not be an 8 track tape? Oh...then I have to revise my guess.....1979.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Edit: 1976

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    It could not be an 8 track tape? Oh...then I have to revise my guess.....1979.
    Reel to reel tape players were big before that, I think I'll go the other way with 1970. But the art? precedes that by a considerable amount.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Concealed seamonkey schlong? (ooh! ooh! band name!!!)
    I think I just died laughing.

I'll guess 1974.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    1980....because a $1.25 in the 60s could buy a steak dinner and this was geared towards pre-adolescents who could only get together a little money. Therefore, by 1980 I would surmise that $1.25 was becoming "not much money".
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

No particular reason

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I remember seeing this ad on the back of comic books through the early '70s. I'm going to throw a dart and hit...1975!
    My sea monkeys never hatched. The trauma lingers on to this day. Damn you, sea monkey company!
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm going to hazard a guess of 1977.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Dang, I remember those ads. Seems like maybe 1974 or so...
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Like I said this was a tough one. This particular ad ran in 1976. The winner is savemattoon, who managed a save with his 11th hour edit!

Special recognition, however, goes to Tom R for noting the ad was created after the advent of 5 digit zip codes....ofos was also correct in noting the art was much older than 1979 (Harold Braunhut first started selling 'Amazing Seamonkeys' in 1957 and clearly the art depicting the nuclear family originated from that era - the ad copy and prices is what changed from year to year). Honorable mention also goes to flying monkeys and mendelman for the economic logic/rationale.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    ofos was also correct in noting the art was much older than 1979 (Harold Braunhut first started selling 'Amazing Seamonkeys' in 1957 and clearly the art depicting the nuclear family originated from that era.
    They used that art in children's magazine subscriptions I got as a kid, in the late 80s and early 90s. Clearly the art in those was really timeless.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Clearly the art in those was really timeless.
    Yes: the wisdom of Confucius, the writings of Shakespeare, the music of Bach....the art in those 'Amazing Seamonkeys' ads.... all share that certain timeless quality. They all make one feel as if they stand at the precipice of eternity, not unlike gazing upon images from the Hubble Space Telescope.

I'm going to frame that Seamonkey ad when I get home tonight.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Like I said this was a tough one. This particular ad ran in 1976. The winner is savemattoon, who managed a save with his 11th hour edit!
    Gotta love Google

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Yes: the wisdom of Confucius, the writings of Shakespeare, the music of Bach....the art in those 'Amazing Seamonkeys' ads.... all share that certain timeless quality. They all make one feel as if they stand at the precipice of eternity, not unlike gazing upon images from the Hubble Space Telescope.

I'm going to frame that Seamonkey ad when I get home tonight.
    OMG, Maister, you better pray that your next mandatory drug test doesn't come up any time soon!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 37
    Last post: 31 Jan 2008, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 18 Jan 2008, 10:47 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Dec 2007, 3:29 PM
  4. Guess the Year #30 (House Edition)
    Friday Afternoon Club