Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What about a new AICP designation?

Registered
    Nov 2005

What about a new AICP designation?

The discontent over AICP continuing education requirements, costs, etc. seems to be growing. One idea that popped into my head was that planners simply find a new designation that essentially symbolizes "I passed the exam, but don't pay dues".

Examples:
    AICP* (asterisk meaning "I passed the exam, but don't pay dues" or whatever)
    AICP-C (C is for certified)

This is still a very half-baked idea, but the point is this: You've passed the exam, so let's find a way to signify that. Just something I've been mulling over.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    APA has a sort of implied threat to sue anyone using AICP and not paying the dues. I don't know anyone who has been sued, but ll you have to do is read the AICP pages.

How about replacing AICP with FUAPA? It stands for "former user"

I'm considering using it. I think this is my last year as an APA, AICP member. Paying them only seems to encourage them.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hairstylists get licensed in some states - I still do not get what the big deal is with this keeping up with credits (except for specific issues, yes, but not the overall concept) - all of our allied professionals have these requirements and yes, you cannot call yourself a llandscape architect in the state of Maine unless you passed the exam and keep your license current, that's hwy we have lots of landscape designers - and yes, you can get sued if you don't comply - what's the big deal with this...we have all worked hard to get where we are and are working hard to stay there, so what's wrong with designating that formally?

coating myself with Teflon for imminent flame coming my way...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Guap I agree FUAPA is a great idea and plan to add it to stuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Sep 2010, 3:44 PM
  2. Historic designation to avoid affordable housing
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 May 2010, 12:30 PM
  3. Heritage designation for cemeteries
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 23 Mar 2007, 2:53 PM