Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Powers needed by transit and why

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Powers needed by transit and why

I'm drafting up some proposals for options for future transit structure in my area. in Oregon ORS267 which seems to have created Tri-Met, transit districts gain some law enforcement, bond creation, condemnation powers. What powers does a central planning authority for all transit in an area need to function and thrive most effectively, and why?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    1) Inside dirt on all the local power players to hold over them and use as leverage when necessary?

2) A willingness to lowball construction cost estimates enough so that the politicians disburse the funds requested - though the project end up running out of money part way through and thus needs an additional infusion of funds to complete construction?

Sorry, I've been reading too much of The Power Broker.

In all honesty, organizations such as these really do tend to be massive, labyrinthine bureaucracies, and this very impenetrability works in their favor - no one has the time, resources, and political clout to do an effective audit on them. I think of Boston's MBTA and New York's MTA as examples of this phenomenon.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The organizations seem to depend on strong political connections in order to get funding from the state.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Lost moderator powers
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Apr 2009, 2:29 PM
  2. Super Powers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 18 Apr 2007, 11:01 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Feb 2007, 11:10 AM