Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Most boring museum you've visited

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Most boring museum you've visited

The Buffalo Museum of Science is among the last of the old-school natural science museums, with the vast majority of its exhibits dating back decades. Almost none of them offer any sort of interactivity; it's very much a "look, but don't touch" kind of place where just about everything is behind a pane of glass. Today, it seems to exist mostly as a field trip destination for local elementary school students. If you want to see what a science museum looked like in the 1940s, this is the place!

When I was a kid, my parents only took me to the Buffalo Museum of Science once; every other time, it was school field trips. Mom and Dad had the good sense to make semi-regular drives to Toronto to take me to the Ontario Science Center, among other destinations.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'd nominate the pencil museum in Keswick, England save for the fact that I didn't actually go in. I probably would of if I was alone just for the sake of seeing how one can devote an entire museum to something as seemingly boring as the pencil.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Walton's Mountain Museum in Schuyler, VA recreates the set of the telvision show inside and old schoolhouse in the town where Earl Hamner grew up. It was pretty cheesy.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I'd nominate the pencil museum in Keswick, England save for the fact that I didn't actually go in. I probably would of if I was alone just for the sake of seeing how one can devote an entire museum to something as seemingly boring as the pencil.
    Me too. But, I didn't think it was the most boring museum that I've ever visited.

I'd give that nomination to any geological sections in any museums. Guilty ones are the Royal Ontairo Museum (ROM) in Toronto and the Natural History Museum in London, England.

I also have to say that I was bored with the musuem exhibits at the British Museum in London, England. The only thing I liked there was the glass-roof ceiling that made the courtyard a new interior space for the museum.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Most local history museums are yawn stiflingly dull. Our very own Celery Flats interpretive center was actually mentioned once in connection with a joke about being dull and out of the way on Letterman!

However, I believe the Grand Prize should go to the Charles Grignon Mansion. The house is fancy in a Victorian kinda way. A fascinating fact about this house was that it was one of the first to have electricity in the Appleton area!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

It has been a few years so it may have changed and I apologise to the fair citizens of that community it it has,
    But the museum in Sioux City has to be close to the top of boring, When we left, Mrs Katt and I looked at each other and at the same time said did we miss something,
    At one time this city had five major packing houses and was a thriving destination point for agriculture and retail. None of this was in the museum,
    Please do not confuse this musuem with the Lewis and Clark musuem that is in the boat on the Missouri River

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ok

The Wildlife Experience in Parker, Colorado
    ......YAWN....Neither wildlife nor experience

The IMAX is the only interesting thing there......at least the year it opened
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The new Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian. It could have been great and should have been great. They went off on some indescribable tangent that makes the museum incredibly disappointing and boring. What a waste.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The original World of Coke Museum at Underground Atlanta (I have not been, and will not go, to the relocated "new and improved" version at Centennial Park). Felt completely ripped off, even with half-price admission.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    The new Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian. It could have been great and should have been great. They went off on some indescribable tangent that makes the museum incredibly disappointing and boring. What a waste.
    I went to that museum wuth my boys over the summer...it was not that it was boring, they just hid everything. To view anything you had to open a drawer. I agree though, they did go off on a tangent...most of the museum is dedicated to moderen indian handi-work. A wonderful building, with a cool water feature.

But yes, boring....
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Two come to mind:

The Louisville Science Center. Although it has interactive exhibits, they seem dated, malfunction, and so dirty I brought handiwipes for the kids last time we went.

The Thorvaldsen Museum in Copenhagen. A sculpture museum is a sculpture museum is a sculpture museum. No way around it. His work is exquisite but d-u-l-l.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2006
    My Great Uncle Leo made his own museum in his barn. He called it a farming history museum. He had lots of piles of pitchforks. And he made this weird historical set up of what he thought was a typical 1920's kitchen. We went to visit him and he made us go on a 2 hour tour.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This car museum in Sarasota FL:
    http://sarasotacarmuseum.org/

Every time we went to Sarasota (my dad's hometown) as kids, he would drag the whole family there. It was awful.

One I wasn't all that interested in as a kid, on a field trip, was a shell museum at Rollins College in Winter Park FL. I looked for it on the college's website a couple years ago; my son and I pick up shells, and RJ and I have collected quite a few, so I thought they'd enjoy it, but it's not there anymore.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    "Boring" is in the heart or mind of the visitor!

Nothing is interesting if you're not interested...including geology.

In my mind the worst museum I've ever visited was the National Museum in Cairo, Egypt. What made it boring was it's total disarray and lack of explanation. But virtually all of my friends and colleagues think it is fabulous. Hence the above conclusions.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    The Diehm museum in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Stuffed animals and dioramas, need I say more. Definate holdover from the '50s and right next to a pretty good smaller zoo.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 15 Sep 2014, 1:17 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 11:40 AM
  3. another boring intro - Peter G
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Oct 2012, 11:29 AM
  4. A boring street in the Poconos
    Cities and Places