Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Creating a transit authority

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Creating a transit authority

Looking for sequences of events, tips, and timelines of places that have created transit authorities to manage their transit system. We've just had some discussion on the topic, and that seems to be the favored direction; now I need to try to go into the political side to cover -how- to set the system up, but my background is more in policy and system layout than the political. If anyone knows any good resources would also help.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Excuse me...your tag says you are in Alaska....can you really support a transit authority there? Just asking.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    With buy-in from the Borough? I don't see why not, especially since the decision-makers have already been told that it will NOT "pay for itself" out of the fare-box; it's there to try to cut down on the load on public assistance, health care, and the like. We're getting a good number of pro-transit people in this area, and there is a bus company running out here that's having some financial issues created to a large extent because they -are- completely private. We have a lot of -need- for a good transit system for public health and safety and economic reasons.
    Being in a small place doesn't seem to stop roadbuilding, and the area i'm in is growing at a mindblowing rate - something like 60+% since the last census. We're also the other end of the "road to nowhere" and the ferry that's being put in in the meantime.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    A potentially difficult and complex undertaking...a great deal will depend on what Federal and State regulations are in place governing municipal transit operations. A good place to start might be here: http://www.masstransitmag.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 2:15 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 12:08 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Dec 2004, 10:15 AM
  4. New York Metropolitan Transit Authority
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Nov 2004, 9:58 PM