Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Subdivision application next to shooting range?

Registered
    May 2004

Subdivision application next to shooting range?

I have a large residential subdivision that is proposed adjacent to a legally nonconforming outdoor shooting range. Has anyone ever faced such a scenario? I'm looking for ideas on conditions and other ways to deal with the obvious safety issue involved here.

Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Been there about 10 years ago. If the proposed subdivision land is planned and zoned, you may have no recourse. (That was out case).

Out City Attorney did, hoever, draft a document to be recorded against each lot, advising of the range. It was basically a don't b*tch after the fact notice.

EDIT: And the developer had to disclose it.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Been there about 10 years ago. If the proposed subdivision land is planned and zoned, you may have no recourse. (That was out case).

Out City Attorney did, hoever, draft a document to be recorded against each lot, advising of the range. It was basically a don't b*tch after the fact notice.

EDIT: And the developer had to disclose it.
    I agree with Chet. Make the developer disclose what's there and have it understood that there is nothing that can be done about the firing range unless someone wants to buy it and close it. BTW, what makes this ground so desirable that someone would want to buy a house next to a firing range? My dad was a firearms instructor, so I grew up on a firing range. I know how loud they are, not to mention stray bullets. As for conditions, buffering comes to mind, preferably mounding. Further, this should be the repsonsibility of the developer, not the firing range.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

55+ housing?

if this was in FAC, this could be a lot of fun...

but yeah, you might want to consider imposing greater setbacks on that side and I like the idea of requiring disclosure

Registered
    Mar 2004
    A big-lot mansion subdivision was recently developed right next to a gun club outdoor firing range in a township just outside of Appleton within the past few years, too.

It's an area near a swampy, woody low area that is attractive to such 'back to nature mansion' type development.

I am unsure of what disclosures, etc, surround sales of those lots, but several have already been built on and there are "DANGER - FIRING RANGE" signs on the property line.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am completing a neighborhood plan that has a firing range existing. We laid out a conceptual street network that bordered two sides of the range and designed an open space buffer on the third, at the end of the range, to provide greater separation for future housing. State statutes protect pre-existing range from neighbor complaints.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We had a subdivision proposed next to a nonconforming use like this, and had a condition that the subdivision owners disclose on the face of the plat, in the deed restrictions and in all deeds/contracts about the nonconforming use and the fact that there may be subdivision impacts.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    DENY ! DENY ! DENY ! its a bad Location for the American dream.Imagine a 7 year old playing in the woods and gets hit by a stray bullet. Hey It might be the shooting ranges fault but you allowed the subdivision there to begin with.They were there first. And look at it from a NEW URBANIST stand point.Does america need another subdivision.Do yourself a favor and your town a favor and" ESCAPE FROM SUBURBIA " If this place gets passed make sure a large buffer is in place.Sound Retaining walls would be a good idea with woods between both establishments

Registered
    Jan 2008
    1. Condition of project approval requiring large dirt mounds on shooting range-side of subdivision (or basically some type of bullet impeding wall).

2. Indemnification Finding on behalf of approving agency.

3. Note on parcel map alerting all future property owners that the gun range next door is a potential hazard to their health!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Definitions Shooting range noise area
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Nov 2012, 3:27 PM
  2. How bad am I shooting myself in the foot?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 03 Jul 2012, 6:07 AM
  3. Shooting range dilemma
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Jun 2001, 5:09 PM
  4. Shooting ranges
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Feb 1998, 12:59 AM
  5. Replies: 0