Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Calculating net residential density

Registered
    May 2005

Calculating net residential density

My jurisdiction's Master Plan calls for residential density to be calculated using the net density, rather than gross density, of a site or development. However, we have no formal policy of how to determine net density.

Typically, areas to be dedicated to parks or roads, or undevelopable areas such as wetlands, are removed from the net density calculations.

My question is quite simple. How do other communities calculate net residential density? Or, how should net residential density be calculated?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My jurisdiction's Master Plan calls for residential density to be calculated using the net density, rather than gross density, of a site or development. However, we have no formal policy of how to determine net density.

Typically, areas to be dedicated to parks or roads, or undevelopable areas such as wetlands, are removed from the net density calculations.

My question is quite simple. How do other communities calculate net residential density? Or, how should net residential density be calculated?
    I suppose you could have a policy that defines net density as the subtraction of jurisdictional wetlands and required open space by code. However, net density becomes problematic when you have other site development variables to factor in (right-of-ways, detention needs, steep slopes, etc.).

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Now I have never dealt directly with having to calculate net density for a development site, but I would say that, for simplcity's sake, include the unbuildable portions of the development when calculating the net density.

But certainly don't count dedicated parks/school site, rights-of-way, publicly owned detention/retention areas.

Bascially, I would count everything that will be privately owned.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Working with municipalities and development pro formas, we usually calculate the net density by subtracting roads (from edge of right-of-way, which may or may not include sidewalks), parks, storm basins, preservation areas, and other areas that will be owned or maintained by the municipality, or property held in common for a neighborhood (such as landscape easements maintained through property taxes, mello-roos, etc).
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In my experience, "net developable land" has meant those lands that are developable for density purposes excluding right-of-ways, steep slopes, wetlands, etc...but that was before I arrived at my current jurisdiction in Florida where they give density credit for everything. Go figure.

I prefer the former.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jan 2012, 4:56 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 2:51 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Nov 2007, 1:01 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Aug 2002, 12:25 PM