Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Re-writing a zoning ordinance (was: Re-zoning)

Registered
    May 2007

Re-writing a zoning ordinance (was: Re-zoning)

Hey everyone,

Curious... What cities are going through a zoning rewrite? I would like to know the process behind it all. I know of Baltimore, Miami, Philadelphia, and some city in colorado. I would like to get some information from those that are going through the process or that have anything to say about it. THANKS!!
    "Good judgment comes from experience. And where does experience come from? Experience comes from bad judgment.------Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)"

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dominimami305 View post
    Hey everyone,

Curious... What cities are going through a zoning rewrite? I would like to know the process behind it all. I know of Baltimore, Miami, Philadelphia, and some city in colorado. I would like to get some information from those that are going through the process or that have anything to say about it. THANKS!!
    I'm doing a rewrite in the city where I work and I basically am writing it the way I think it should be and letting a committee review it before it goes to the Planning Commission and City Council for adoption. The committee is comprised on Planning Commission members, general public, local developers, etc.

I struggled with how the conduct the process and whether to hold public meetings to gain more input from the general public, but decided this was the best way. I just didn't see that there would be a great deal of interest from the public in a zoning ordinance rewrite to warrant a series of public meetings. However, I do plan to conduct at least one public meeting prior to the rewrite going for approval. Of course, the adoption process will involve at least on public hearing (not to be confused with a public meeting.)
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    When we adopted our first zoning ordinance in September of 2007, we conducted several public meetings in the neighborhoods prior to the public hearings before the planning commission and BOCC. In my experience, residents seemed more interested in the zoning map than the text of the land development regulations. And of course they'll always be confused between the comp plan and the LDRs.

Registered
    May 2005
    I just completed one at the end of this past year, although my jurisdiction is not on the scale of a Miami, Philly, ect.

In terms of process, I think it is largely dependent on the specific community. There are so many variables that may not translate from one community to another.

domini - if you want specific on how we went about ours, send me a PM.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm about to start mine as implementation of our newly ratified comprehensive plan - they are having me lead it and bring the chief elected officials a shiny new ordinance in 2 years

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am updating two zoning ordinances. The first one is crafted according to goals in their comprehensive plan (including density bonuses, a conservation subdivision ordinance, mixed use development ordinance, landscape ordinance, and a bunch of design standards-which now can be incorporated into zoning ordinances in several Illinois communities ). The Plan Commission will review it and will probably have a public hearing before it's adopted by the Village Board.

The other zoning ordinance is still way out in left field and has been an on-going project. I have been updating some bulk requirements here and there, but there really isn't a timeline that I can see.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2008, 10:31 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Sep 2007, 6:49 PM
  3. New zoning ordinance
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Dec 2006, 1:25 PM
  4. Zoning Writing new zoning code / UDC
    Land Use and Zoning