Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Harvard GSD career development program

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Harvard GSD career development program

Anyone familiar with this program? My mom saw an ad for it in today's New York Times Education Life Section so I took a look at the website. Looks like it's basically six weeks of studio with occasional lectures and workshops. A little pricey, but not terrible. Does this look like a reasonable thing to do for someone who's thinking of graduate school in planning but doesn't have any background in the field?

Registered
    Jul 2007

interesting...

This could be an interesting program and it is less expensive than trying out graduate school with tuition costs. From the info provided on the website, it seems like it would be more helpful for recent college grads looking for a career path or graduate school than seasoned professionals.

As for not have a background in the field, planners come from diverse backgrounds and bachelor degrees. My graduate program has students from all different backgrounds ranging from civil engineering to design to political science. There are very few bachelors programs in urban planning. Good luck and if you decide to go, let us all know how it is!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I know of someone who did this - it was helpful but expensive. Doesn't directly help you get a job- really more for your own good in terms of deciding if you like plannng,

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I'm a recent college graduate, so I do think this would likely be pretty helpful for me. As far as not having any background, I'm not worried so much about having a hard time getting into grad school or entering the field as about deciding on whether it's really something I want to pursue, so a program like this sounds like it might be a good way to test the waters.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Just remember-it always sounds better in the academic setting than in the real world. I highly recommend an internship as a way to learn if "real" planning is really for you. Good luck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I've been trying to find a job in something related to planning so I can see what it's like. That may be a better way to go than a program like this.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: Harvard Harvard GSD Career Discovery
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Apr 2013, 8:57 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Apr 2011, 7:46 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Nov 2008, 11:54 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Oct 2008, 11:22 AM