Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning jobs in Canada (particularly Atlantic provinces)

Registered
    Aug 2007

Planning jobs in Canada (particularly Atlantic provinces)

Hi there,

I'm originally from Halifax, but have landed in Tasmania and become a planner here in Australia. I'm just wondering, if I ever get it together and move home again, what are the job prospects for a graduate planner? What if I"m willing to finish up a Masters degree in planning? Here in Aus they're desperately seeking planners, and you can practically name your price salary wise (in some areas). Our council just advertised overseas an hired a new planner from Scotland. I'm just wondering, is it a similar situation at home, or in North America anyway? I have to admit though with the public health crisis in Nova Scotia and the PC's lack of inertia on fixing it, I may have to delay a few more years. Just thought I'd personally reverse the brain drain.

Thanks,

Shannon

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Not directly familiar with Canada but have watched the job postings, salaries, etc. It seems that Canada has more jobs than planners - many seem to move to the USA for work.

But I think someone who brings some experience to the table could make it work. Good luck.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Boudicea View post
    Hi there,

I'm originally from Halifax, but have landed in Tasmania and become a planner here in Australia. I'm just wondering, if I ever get it together and move home again, what are the job prospects for a graduate planner? What if I"m willing to finish up a Masters degree in planning? Here in Aus they're desperately seeking planners, and you can practically name your price salary wise (in some areas). Our council just advertised overseas an hired a new planner from Scotland. I'm just wondering, is it a similar situation at home, or in North America anyway? I have to admit though with the public health crisis in Nova Scotia and the PC's lack of inertia on fixing it, I may have to delay a few more years. Just thought I'd personally reverse the brain drain.

Thanks,

Shannon

Hi, also originally from Halifax but now working about 45 minutes outside the city and living another 25 minutes from there. I would say most places would require membership in CIP which involves a combination of work and education qualifications. Since there is a planning school at Dalhousie U a lot of planners here have Masters degrees. Salaries in HRM tend to be significantly higher than outside the city. I think jobs are available. KIng County NS just advertised and my job may be up for grabs in a couple of months. I have also worked in NL which was great fun but am not sure what job prospects are like there now. In NB, bilingualism is an asset and a requirement in some areas.

Hope this is of some help.

As for the public health crisis, I know there are problems but I have had only good experiences and heard of good experiences. Our daughter needs a hearing test and our appointment is only two weeks after we made the enquiry. A young relative was diagnosed with leukemia and he was having treatments within 48 hours of being diagnosed. My grandparents are both in long term care and couldn't be receiving better care.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Planning jobs in Canada?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 12:33 PM
  3. Planning in Canada
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Oct 2009, 4:13 AM