Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Super Bowl

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

2008 Super Bowl

New York Giants vs New England Patriots.

So who is your favorite or who are you rooting for?
    If you can't tell who is mine.

If Eli wins, will that be the first time brothers have won Super Bowl let alone back to back ?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Two teams I have precisely zero respect for.

Patriots = cheaters. I think they would be undefeated this season no matter what, but that little swept-away scandal forever clouded my opinion of that assclown of a coach. Yeah, other teams have probably done it, but he was stupid enough to get caught.

Eli Manning = whiny baby (had to get daddy involved when he was drafted to a small-market team)

Giants = beat my favorite team, the Packers. I really wanted to watch two high-flying offenses go at it in the Super Bowl (GB v. NE).

I suppose I'll pull for the Giants. They've had a lot of adversity this season and I'm impressed that they never gave up. They've shown a real ability to find a way to win.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Just going for sportsmanship and a good game. I want entertainment, that's all.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

For those of us in Boston, its wicked important that the Patriots win. It keeps us occupied until the Red Sox get ready for the post season (and just maybe the Celtics will make it this year too)!

Registered
    May 2005
    I don't want a competitive game. I want NE to destroy them. Plain and simple.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'd root for anyone against the Patriots, besides, Eli's a homeboy and if the Saints can't get to the Super Bowl, then a Manning is the next best thing.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2004
    I can't stand the Patriots (and that has nothing to do with me being a San Diego fan). I can't stand Tom Brady. And Bellicheat is just a terrible person all around (even if he is a great coach).

I hope New York wins

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Can't get excited about either team, the Manning dynasty or the perfect season. I guess I'll probably pull for the Giants as underdogs but I won't lose any sleep if NE gets another ring.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Tho is pains me to write this, the Pats are going to blow out the Giants. The game will probably be over by half time. I have to tip my hat the Pats, they had a great team and a great year.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

WYP the Boston Patriots had their hands full with the G-Men a few weeks ago -- what makes you think they'll blow 'em out now, just because it's the Super Bowl? If good Eli shows up, it'll be a competitive game. If bad Eli shows up, well, there's always the commercials.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    WYP the Boston Patriots had their hands full with the G-Men a few weeks ago -- what makes you think they'll blow 'em out now, just because it's the Super Bowl? If good Eli shows up, it'll be a competitive game. If bad Eli shows up, well, there's always the commercials.
    First, I didn't know about the earlier game. Second, with the exception of Brady, the Pats just don't seem to have many chinks in their amour. Third is Eli's performance is not consistent. Fourth, momentum/a chance to be the one the best teams of all times for the Pats. Fifith, the NFC is weaker. Before anyone flames me, these are just my preceptions. Just remember, I didn't pick the Colts to win the last super bowl.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Brady

Tom Brady is wearing a walking cast on his right foot.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324527,00.html

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have no rooting interest in either team, but, it's football, so I'll probably watch. I am, however, going to avoid ESPN for the next two weeks so I don't get subjected to another New York vs. Boston hype-fest (as they do with the Yankees - Red Sox).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I surely don't watch sports like I used to...but I will root for NY(NJ) Giants. I am really a Jets fan.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Bleh.....

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......snort...huh....another Moss touchdown.....oh.....zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ....gork....huh? 64-10.....oh.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

obviously I don't have much of a hope for a good game

GAG! Even the Bruins are above average right now! Is this the END OF DAYS????

go giants
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jul 2004
    New England Patriots!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

wicked good!

Um - Patriot's by one touchdown only...I'd love a blow out but we ain't gettin' one!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'd like to see Boston win. Mainly because I'm from Chicago and we don't root for New York teams.

Also, it almost seems like The Patriots have become the "America's team" of the 2000s, and it's exciting to pull for a winning team.

Don't get me wrong, though. During the regular season and in playoff seasons when they make it, I'm a Bears fan through and through.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I'd like to see Boston win. Mainly because I'm from Chicago and we don't root for New York teams.
    And White Sox fans certainly don't root for Boston teams either.

I hope that Eli does well just so the sports media can shut up about him not living up to his brother. Enough already.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    For those of us in Boston, its wicked important that the Patriots win. It keeps us occupied until the Red Sox get ready for the post season (and just maybe the Celtics will make it this year too)!

For those of us who grew up in Boston also......would love to see the Celtics also.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The Onion has this one nailed:

Giants: 'We Almost Beat The Patriots Once, We Can Almost Beat Them Again'
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/73074
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    The Onion has this one nailed:
    Great find...gotta love The Onion.

"We stood up to them once, hit 'em in the mouth, and made them beat us," Coughlin said, noting that in the previous meeting, the Giants defense put the Patriots in the challenging position of having to score three times over the last 20 minutes of the game, which the Patriots naturally did with time to spare and without apparent effort.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    GO PATS!!!

Prediction: N.E. 42 NYG 17

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Had lunch yesterday with an ex football player (10 years in the NFL with two teams) who owns some land and we were mostly discussing his options for that piece of property. But I subtlety asked him who's going to win. He said without hesitation "The Giants hands down". I believe he's more credible a source than most arm chair quarterbacks.
    @GigCityPlanner

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    What is this "Super Bowl" of which you speak?"

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Super Bowl Ad favorites ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Feb 2012, 4:38 PM
  2. 2012 Super Bowl
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 07 Feb 2012, 9:46 AM
  3. Replies: 10