Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Account removal request

Account removal request

Please delete my account here. It's not worth the effort or the aggravation for me.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Sorry to hear that you're leaving. I hope you're not leaving over just the South/Appalachia thread.

We don't delete accounts, but I'll remove the email address and any personally identifying information in your profile, delete all private messages and thread subscriptions, remove your avatar, change account settings so you don't get private messages or email from other users or Cyburbia staff, scramble your password so you can't log in, and internally label your account as "INACTIVE".

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Posting edits - longer time frame?

It occurs to me that perhaps the one hour allowed to edit one's posts might well be lengthened, to good effect.

(Not to keep bragging on Urban Planet, but it allows editing for days afterwards.)

Just a thought.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    We don't delete accounts, but I'll remove the email address and any personally identifying information in your profile, delete all private messages and thread subscriptions, remove your avatar, change account settings so you don't get private messages or email from other users or Cyburbia staff, scramble your password so you can't log in, and internally label your account as "INACTIVE".
    this sounds so, so...violent.....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Account deletion: Yeah, I know. Sometimes, someone will say "I never ever want to visit again - delete my account". If we deleted accounts, though, it would create a problem with old threads, where the context of old posts is lost. Also, about half of the time, the person who wants their account deleted will ask to rejoin. If the old account was deleted, it would be extremely difficult and time-consuming to associate old posts that are now associated with nobody with a poster who wants their now non-existent account back. Really, it can be a mess.

So, when someone says they want an account deleted, we just configure their account so they can't log in again. Their private messages are deleted, to clear up a little bit of space on the server. (I can tell how many PMs a user has, but I can't read them.) Thread subscriptions are removed, so the server won't send notification emails to them.

If they want their account reactivated, all it takes is an email, but it comes with a price: all of their old PMs are lost.

Edit windows: Verba volant, littera scripta manet. Some message boards have an edit window of only a few minutes. The reasoning: if someone reacts to your ill-conceived words, then you delete them, it makes the other guy look like the ass instead of you. The one hour edit window is something of a middle ground; it allows more than enough time to correct grammar, reword awkward sentences, and add vital information. However, we believe that people should be responsible for what they post; if they don't regret what they said after an hour, they have to live with it.

Aside from multiposts and misplaced messages, we'll delete posts under extremely limited circumstances, upon user request.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2012, 2:42 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last post: 28 Sep 2010, 7:51 PM
  3. Account Removal Request
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Nov 2009, 1:50 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Mar 2005, 11:23 AM