Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Single family detached condos?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2007

Single family detached condos?

How do you guys handle these animals? Do you have an entire chapter for them, are they special uses, are they PD's?

How do you deal with them?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    They would be a Planned Unit Development (ie multiple buildings per zoning lot) within most of our residential districts, theoretically. Though we area practically built out currently, so I don't see it happening any time soon.

They would be pretty esy to handle. You just need to setup specific building separation standards, setback from street pavement standards, and really good set of Condition, Covenants, and Restrictions and condo association.

One major thing though, you must mandate that the streets and other insfrastructure be built to your normal standards just as any publicly owned right-of-way, etc. would be. Because, inevitably, in the future the condo association is going to whine about having to rebuild/replacement their own infrastructure and then ask the municiplaity to take it. And if the infrastructure does not meet your standards, then there will be major headache and cost involved.

Though, you could just special assess them for the work.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    these were becoming a real hit up here and it was a problem for the neighborhoods they were going into - jammed into without good "infill" practice

we just changed our definition of multi family to include units in one building or detached so now they are only allowed where apartments are allowed -

and if they are not allowed, they can come in only under a PUD whereby 20% of the units will be affordable by deed so we get something out of it -

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The county assessor's office handles condos. Try them. Next!

Actually, I'd rather have them plat individual fee-simple "building-envelope" lots. But it could be the best process based upon our codes (never a shining example of modern planning...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

and another thing

yes, also make sure your assessing office has a system for the bills so they only send one to the association and not to every owner - that's crazy for that office and can be a nightmare -

and yes on building separation standards, except in areas where you would want them clustered (near wetlands, steep slopes, etc.)

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    We have a failed mobile home community that rezoned to go this route. Its not doing so well either. Even the real estate agent selling one home did not understand that the house was a condo and the land was not included. It also makes building additions more of a problem.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Senior Jefe View post
    It also makes building additions more of a problem.
    It could, if the approved plan is poor and not well thought out. Additions could be accommodated within a speicified "building envelope" (2 & 3 dimensional) and permit review/approval would just require reviewing the approved plan and making sure the addition is within the envelope.

Provided one keeps good records.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I am not sure if you are refering to "site condos" which look like a regular single family detached plat. Depending on your state law, site condos have to conform to the state guidelines. The municipality can write its own ordinance for a site condo development which would be a seperate ordinance from a condo ordinance (which is normally attached units) In the state that I am currently working in the main difference is that it takes about two years for plat approval and about one year for site condo. So the developer has a faster turn around time to start the revenue stream. In appearance there is no difference in the site condo and the standard platted single family detached development. The ordinace for site condo can be written in various ways as long as it stays in the guidelines of the state enabling legislation.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2007
    What we have gotten in is a series of detached units on one commonly owned parcel of land. Right now, they are permitted anywhere including single family areas. We are trying to figure out how to regulate them. So far we have had them show up in single family, multifamily and commercial zones. The fact that they are detached is making a bit of a mess for us.

They are becoming a very popular form of student housing here so more of them will be on the way.

Registered
    May 2003
    So then, you're talking about what would be called "cottage houses". Meaning one lot (let's say 30,000 sqft) and developers are building multiple small detached houses that have common driveways and walkways, but are directly connected to the public road system.

see: Cottage housing codes and Cottage housing examples

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the links. That is not quite what we are seeing now, but I could see that happening on some of our larger infill lots.

We have the evil twin of cottage housing I guess. A developer takes a 20-30 acre parcel of land. They do not subdivide it, they keep it one large parcel and then cram it full of "single family detached condos." They share common parking and such but there is not a sense of conservation. They use every square foot of buildable land. I noticed the examples all seemed to have a conservation aim or something like that. It would be nice to turn our developments into something more positive.

Make sense?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We allow it as an option in our open space design (conservation subdivision) regs where private drives are allowed anyway. One thing to watch out for is that if septics and wells are used you have a lot more flow on "one lot" which might trigger additional health code review.

definition

I am working site condos into my Multi-family ord but I am trying to find a deffinition of a "buildable unit"? We define dwelling units but the land units are hard to define. Any suggestions?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Apr 2008, 9:54 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Dec 2006, 3:57 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Sep 2006, 2:05 PM
  4. Request-- Single family detached
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Feb 2006, 5:04 PM