Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Minimum zoning district size

Registered
    Aug 2007

Minimum zoning district size

I have been asked if there is a standard depth for zoning to a commercial district along a major thoroughfare. IMO, the zoning district size should relate to the size of the tracts abutting the thoroughfare. I would not want say 'everything 300 feet back from the R.O.W. is zoned Highway Commercial'. This might split a tract that is more than 300 feet deep. Then it would require additional rezoning or subdividing in order to develop.

The ordinance I am working with dictates that the minimum size of tract wishing to rezone to Highway Commercial be 10,000 sq. ft. with 100 feet of frontage and 100 feet in depth. Can I hang my hat on this requirement to say the minimum depth should be 100 feet?

I am meeting with Council tomorrow and would like to have some additional input.
    Thanks, CS Director

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I don't know about having minimum depths.

Minimum widths are good to prevent flaglots and bunching of curb cuts/driveways.

I agree that a minimum square footage is useful too.

If you establish minimum depths then you are really over regulating. If someone can make a development work on a 10,000 sqft lot that is 150 feet wide and 66 feet deep then more power to them.

The more minimums and maximums you have, the more difficult development becomes.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Quote Originally posted by CS Director View post
    I have been asked if there is a standard depth for zoning to a commercial district along a major thoroughfare. IMO, the zoning district size should relate to the size of the tracts abutting the thoroughfare. I would not want say 'everything 300 feet back from the R.O.W. is zoned Highway Commercial'. This might split a tract that is more than 300 feet deep. Then it would require additional rezoning or subdividing in order to develop.~snip~
    Our ordinance provides guidance for split tracts: where the line is parallel to major roadway, the district at the road frontage applies to the entire tract and where it is perpendicular to the roadway, the larger of the two districts applies to the whole tract. It has come into play several times.

I'm happy to report that we have not had a situation where a perpendcular line divided a parcel into two even halves. Yet, at least.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2007

split tracts

I really like that solution. Would it be possible to get a copy of the ordinance?

Also, I am reaching the conclusion that there is no 'set standard' to the zoning depth.
    Thanks,
    Diana

The specific language, which dates to 1976, is as follows:

Boundaries of Districts:

1.5: If the boundary line of a district divides a lot having frontage on a street so that the front part of the lot lies in one district and part of the lot lies in another, the restriction that applies to the front part of the lot applies to the entire lot.

1.6: If the boundary line of a district divides the lot in a manner essentially perpendicular to a street, that restriction which applies to the larger part of the lot applies to the entire lot.
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Minimum lot size for a dog kennel
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Dec 2008, 3:59 PM
  2. Campground minimum lot size
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 07 Aug 2007, 5:12 PM
  3. Minimum residential unit size
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jan 2007, 3:54 PM
  4. minimum size of dwelling
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Apr 2002, 10:10 AM
  5. Minimum lot size for commercial uses?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Dec 2001, 3:17 PM