Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GIS > CAD conversion?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

GIS > CAD conversion?

Hi All -

I need to convert a batch of ArcGIS files to AutoCAD. This should be a one-time deal. I'm currently a grad student, and I'm working on my thesis, so free of cheap would be good.

Is there an easy way to do this? I've got a free/student version of ArcGIS 9, and access to ACAD 2008 on campus. I looked at both Arc & ACAD and neither had an obvious way to do this.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Brian,

Use Arcv2cad. It is pretty reliable, and you can use the fully functioning trial for 30 days. License will cost $160.

http://www.guthcad.com/arcv2cad.htm

Doesn't AutoCAD 2007 or 2008 handle shapefiles now? What GIS programs are available in your MLA program?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    If you have access to Arc, there is an export to CAD tool in ArcToolbox, I have never used it personally, since I don't use AutoCAD.

Registered
    Apr 2008

GIS>CAD

I just found this site, so sorry if this is already resolved. AutoCAD 2008 has the ability to import shapefiles without converting and once you save the AutoCAD drawing all features will be CAD. As mentioned earlier, ESRI ArcGIS 9.x has a Feature to CAD tool that allows you to convert shapefiles to CAD. I hope this helps and/or you have already solved your problem.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    There is a diference between the cad "flavors" as a follow up david 75 post. Not just plain "Vanilla" Cad can convert gis shapefiles into CAD line drawings. You need to use AutoCAD Map 3D. You can download a trail version for free if you are going to do a one time conversion of these shapefiles. You also have the ability to import the database file which is really helpful if you are labeling street name, APN numbers, land use/zoning names, etc. All this can be done in AutoCAD Map 3D 2008. Since my company is a CAD company and not GIS i tend to do the conversions all the time for my fellow co-workers.

The importation is a little confusing, so use the help menu as a guide or send me a pm and i can walk you through it.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Click on product trail to get a 30 day free download.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Jan 2010, 12:05 PM
  2. Conversion schedules/tables
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 9:25 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 Jun 2005, 12:59 AM
  4. Scale conversion question