Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: So who is applying to grad school for the fall?

Registered
    Apr 2007
    jtouz

I received an email for planning.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Just received an e-mail from the head of the Urban Studies Program at Simon Fraser in Vancouver with an acceptance and nomination for merit based scholarships and a university wide fellowship

Yay, my first acceptance!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DUguy333 View post
    Just received an e-mail from the head of the Urban Studies Program at Simon Fraser in Vancouver with an acceptance and nomination for merit based scholarships and a university wide fellowship

Yay, my first acceptance!!
    Hellz yea dude, congrats!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Thanks! I can breathe for the first time in nearly 3 months now lol

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

Dazed and confused

I got a big fat envelope from Harvard GSD today!

I haven't seen it myself yet (my roommate called me during class), but apparently there is an acceptance letter, information on the open house, and funding, among other things.

I was offered a consolation prize grant of $2500 a year. Now all I need is a sugar-mama .

Registered
    Mar 2008

ultimate and planning!!

Quote Originally posted by pksohn View post
    Wow, I'm pretty glad there's other ultimate players on here. I'm definitely trying to get to college natties in grad school
    i wish i still had eligibility...i'm wasting my last year right now - at least i got to make it to the big show during my college career. now it's on to club.

good luck getting in to the right program (ultimate and planning-wise).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by torontopian View post
    I got a big fat envelope from Harvard GSD today!

I haven't seen it myself yet (my roommate called me during class), but apparently there is an acceptance letter, information on the open house, and funding, among other things.

I was offered a consolation prize grant of $2500 a year. Now all I need is a sugar-mama .
    CONGRATS dude!!! I hope I'll be hearing word from them soon...

Cornell

just got a package from Cornell...

kind of disappointed with the financial aid they offered which is just about 6000$ a year.

Congratulations to thsoe who have already heard back....and best of luck to the rest...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Congrats on your admissions into Cornell and Harvard guys!!!

I can't wait to get home tonight...arrghhh!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys. I'm sure you'll be hearing back soon as well. Looks like admission season is gathering pace.

correction: Harvard offered me $2500 per semester for a total of $5000 a year, still a drop in a bucket compared to the yearly budget of $55000. They did however leave open the possibility of need-based work opportunities.

Registered
    Feb 2008

Harvard or bust

I was admitted to Harvard today, too! It's oh so expensive but I'm just so genuinely honored and surprised and happy that I don't care. Does anyone else who's admitted feel a bit scared? Man, oh, man. I've been a carpenter in the woods for 3 years; this might be quite the change.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally posted by grantk11 View post
    I was admitted to Harvard today, too! It's oh so expensive but I'm just so genuinely honored and surprised and happy that I don't care. Does anyone else who's admitted feel a bit scared? Man, oh, man. I've been a carpenter in the woods for 3 years; this might be quite the change.
    yeah i know what you mean, i just got in today too, but they wouldnt have let you in if they didnt think you could handle it. i actually visited the school not too long ago and was really pleasantly surprised by how down to earth everyone was. doesnt fit the stereotype of the school but maybe that was dumb of me to expect that it would. congrats!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Congrats to those in at Harvard!! Thegradcafe submission said they received it via Fedex, is that how you all received yours? If so, I'm not feeling so confident now

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Thegradcafe submission said they received it via Fedex, is that how you all received yours? If so, I'm not feeling so confident now
    I made the gradcafe posting. The fedEx thing is probably due to me living in another country. If they sent out the letters on Friday, and since there is no mail on Sunday (at least this side of the border), it should take a couple more days for you to receive anything.

I am TERRIFIED! I felt so brazen applying to Harvard and now that I got in, I'm not too sure what to make of it. It's a huge financial commitment and I'm condemning myself to a certain lifestyle for the foreseeable future. Oh man I hope the jitters will pass.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Man, if I got admitted to Harvard I wouldn't think twice, I would laugh my way all the way to Cambridge! I know what you mean about feeling brazen though, I felt exactly like that for applying to MIT and Berkeley (shoot, UCLA and Columbia too) since my GRE scores are so laughable, but this just goes to show you don't know unless you apply.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JeM08 View post
    Man, if I got admitted to Harvard I wouldn't think twice, I would laugh my way all the way to Cambridge! I know what you mean about feeling brazen though, I felt exactly like that for applying to MIT and Berkeley (shoot, UCLA and Columbia too) since my GRE scores are so laughable, but this just goes to show you don't know unless you apply.
    If I got admitted to Harvard... I would probably laugh all the way to the mailbox as I told them no thanks. I am a weird guy though who didn't even apply to Harvard. I also never imagined I may go to a place like USC... ever. So I don't know. I am starting to get cold feet about the costs even after my scholarship. Over the course of a lifetime it isn't all that much... We shall see!
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Has anyone accepted/declined UNC yet? I was reading through the letter from the Graduate School & it gave 3 weeks to make a decision from the receipt of the letter. I haven't even received word of funding yet...

Speaking of, in my infinite wisdom, I didn't file my FAFSA until last night. Did I completely mess up my chances of funding?
    Tasha -- We have until April 15th to make a decision..as for FAFSA the only thing you MAY have messed up is for need-based loan programs but I doubt it..I know FAFSA doesn't have anything to do with any merit-based scholarships offered by the graduate school/department

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Cornell

I just got the package from Cornell too! Well, my dad did and emailed me the letter since I'm over here in Mongolia...

Same financial aid, as the poster above ($6000) though I'm also enrolled in their Peace Corps Fellows program which will give me something to do in the summer in NYC and some summer $. I don't know what I'm going to do for the rest of the cash if I decide to go there. I can't even attend the Open House to look into other research/funding b/c I'm way over here.
    Last edited by smarshall; 11 Mar 2008 at 5:25 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Simplex02 View post
    Tasha -- We have until April 15th to make a decision

In some cases, this is not technically accurate, and may cause some confusion. (perhaps it is true for this particular school, I do not know.) If someone accepts an offer, they may not back out of it after 4/15. They may do so beforehand. That does not prevent the school from saying that they will take away their offer before 4/15. It does mean, however, that you can accept it and then reassess anytime before that date.

Also, I just got my second packet from USC! I am no longer "recommended" but am "accepted!" What a weight off my shoulders!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 11 Mar 2008 at 4:34 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally posted by grantk11 View post
    Hey congrats! Cambridge and Asheville are two of my favorite places in the world.

I'm in Durham and haven't heard yet. Yikes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Zaphod, I was in the same boat 4 years ago as you're in now. USC gave me the dean's merit offer, the details of which escape me but it probably involved some/all tuition remission and perhaps a stipend. I even went out to the open house. In the end I got "cold feet" about the finances, even after all the assistance (sharing student housing with 3 other people was going to run ~$900/mo.!) I foolishly refused to borrow any money, and at the end of the day didn't go anywhere and just kept working. Now I find myself here 4 years later, still with the same interests and goals, and I see no way around 1) attending a program and 2) borrowing for it. I wouldn't trade the intervening years as they have been interesting, but the old rule still holds: "there's no time like the present."

BTW, I didn't apply to USC this time because I don't think they would have admitted someone again who didn't enroll the first time. Great program though; I would have been proud to go there.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by nyc_tribeca View post
    Zaphod, I was in the same boat 4 years ago as you're in now. USC gave me the dean's merit offer, the details of which escape me but it probably involved some/all tuition remission and perhaps a stipend. I even went out to the open house. In the end I got "cold feet" about the finances, even after all the assistance (sharing student housing with 3 other people was going to run ~$900/mo.!) I foolishly refused to borrow any money, and at the end of the day didn't go anywhere and just kept working. Now I find myself here 4 years later, still with the same interests and goals, and I see no way around 1) attending a program and 2) borrowing for it. I wouldn't trade the intervening years as they have been interesting, but the old rule still holds: "there's no time like the present."

BTW, I didn't apply to USC this time because I don't think they would have admitted someone again who didn't enroll the first time. Great program though; I would have been proud to go there.
    Thanks for the input. Oh I am going to go. No real doubt about it. (Although I am still visiting Austin soo... who knows.) USC is giving me about 1/2 tuition which isn't as good as what you may have got. Considering the fact that I didn't think I was going to get anything at all I am very thrilled. It's a shame you didn't apply here this time. I don't think it would have mattered.

The way i am looking at it is that $50grand in loans is about what you would pay for a really nice car. Except your education will appreciate in value... your car won't.

(p.s. Tribeca I just got your name. My mom lives there now and I will be out visiting her this summer. Good times.)
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Zaphod:

Tribeca is probably the most understated neighborhood in Manhattan, but that's just its charm. Jane Jacobs' "ballet of the streets" is alive and well here. And the food, oh god the food...

If there's no compelling reason for you to attend USC (besides the convenience of already being local), I would run the numbers on USC vs. UT-Austin. Even with 1/2 remission, USC might still cost more than full tuition at UT, and you have the chance to be in-state your second year in Austin.

Have you ever been to Austin? I lived in Texas for 4 years and Austin is roundly considered (no secret here) the most interesting place. The cost of living is high for Texas (too many damned college brats, plus a very high-end economy with many high-paying tech and research jobs), but probably compares favorably to LA. I guess it boils down to where you plan to work after graduation. Austin might give you opportunities in the Southwest (TX alone is several states' worth of jobs), but USC might have the bigger "national name." Either way you can't lose if you're a football fan.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I've ran the numbers and Austin does come out to be cheaper but not by that much. Austin does look like a cool town but I hate moving so we will see.

The way I choose my top schools was 1) Fit of program with my interests, 2) Alumni support, and 3) Football. Not the most scientific of methods... but dang it do I love tailgates and cheering in the stands. Plus I have never had a good football team where I have gone to school so I am pretty excited about that... and getting a quality education.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Simplex02 & Bookworm:

Thanks for the input on decision dates. I called my programs today to ask for more concrete dates/funding possibilities & got some info (though not encouraging on the $$ front)

nyc_tribeca & zaphod:

I love Austin! I've lived here for 6 yrs now & really like the "keep Austin weird" vibe. Cost of living is pretty low (as long as you don't live in the new lofts downtown) and the college sports scene is one of the best.

Zaphod, if you'd like some recommendations on places to go/see when you're here, let me know.

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 10:58 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 10:51 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Mar 2011, 8:40 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Oct 2009, 9:42 PM
  5. Replies: 3