Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: So who is applying to grad school for the fall?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I have applied to UBC, UoT, McGill, and Dalhousie. I hope I get into any one of them, but the more I talk to people about my plans, and tell them of my experience and education, I seem to think that I will be successful with more than one place. BA - geog, dip - urban land economics, cert - urban studies, over 1 yr continued planning experience at municipality, ngo work with sustainable building office. i dont know if that is enough or not, i tend to think negatively about my credentials. maybe im crazy

Registered
    Dec 2007
    I received my acceptance notifications from U of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) and UNC over the last couple days. Still waiting to hear from everywhere else.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    I got my acceptance letter from UNC today! Yay!

Registered
    Dec 2007
    I applied to NYU, UIC, and Harvard.

Is NYU rolling-ish? I seem to recall seeing somewhere online that people had heard (positively!) from Wagner by mid-February. I applied by their Jan. 15th deadline.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I got my acceptance letter from Texas A&M today. Yay. They already want to know if I will be attending. Time to find out when they "really" need to know by.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Note/Zaphod/Tasha: did they include financial award details, or is that coming later? It seems awfully early for schools to make admissions decisions, and even earlier for people like you who have to make enrollment decisions. I thought this whole process centered around late-March or early-April. Perhaps the schools profile the most attractive applicants early on and try to get them hitched before they have a chance to go elsewhere.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I applied to Portland State, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Southern Cal, and Berkeley...

I submitted my Cincinnati app. just a week ago, and they already called me yesterday asking if I wanted to visit in February, hotel and air fare covered! I'm guessing this means they want me? Hoping somebody can enlighten me as to whether or not this is normal, and what it means...

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by nyc_tribeca View post
    Note/Zaphod/Tasha: did they include financial award details, or is that coming later? It seems awfully early for schools to make admissions decisions, and even earlier for people like you who have to make enrollment decisions. I thought this whole process centered around late-March or early-April. Perhaps the schools profile the most attractive applicants early on and try to get them hitched before they have a chance to go elsewhere.
    I think it depends on the school. My letter didn't come with any financial aid info other than to say decisions will be made later in the spring. I emailed them about that today and they want to know by march 1st if I am comming, which from what I can tell is before I may even hear back from most schools. What an interesting predicament. I am sure it will work out. A&M is my first choice anyway so it would take something super special money wise to get me to change my mind. I don't see that happening.

Good luck to all those waiting to hear!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Fang View post
    I applied to Portland State, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Southern Cal, and Berkeley...

I submitted my Cincinnati app. just a week ago, and they already called me yesterday asking if I wanted to visit in February, hotel and air fare covered! I'm guessing this means they want me? Hoping somebody can enlighten me as to whether or not this is normal, and what it means...
    whoh, what kind of grads and work experience do you have to entice them to do all this?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Fang: is it normal to get invited for an all-expense-paid visit to a school 2 weeks after you applied, and what does it mean, you ask? I would be very encouraged to say the least. I don't think I've ever heard of such a fast leap to snag an applicant. You must have been quite a catch.

Zaphod: they're pressing you for a decision by Mar 1, when they aren't going to make finaid decisions until "later in the spring" (which one could reasonably presume to be Apr or May)? Be sure not to tell them that they are your first choice. Just call back right before they want you to commit, and say that you won't make a decision until you know that the $$ looks like. If they have made no decision and you are still dead-set on going, nothing lost. But everything to gain.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by goldeneye View post
    whoh, what kind of grads and work experience do you have to entice them to do all this?
    My grades were decent (3.59), and I did well on the GRE. However, all I had in terms of experience was one summer internship with a local development agency...

Thanks NYC, that's encouraging.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

Still eating my heart out

Visiting Penn in two weeks. Does anyone know how these informational interviews work? I mean, when professors meet you, are they seriously gauging your suitability as a graduate student? Should I be in a suit & tie & all or wear my normal converse/jeans get-up? Should I try and project a professional demeanor or be my normal relaxed sarcastic self?

urghh the more I brood over my application the more unsettled I get. One moment I'm euphoric over my 1560 gre score and the next I'm panicky over my pathetic 4.5 in analytic writing. This has got to stop soon...

UBC?

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the graduate program at the University of British Columbia? While Berkeley and UCLA is on my list to apply to this fall, I was thinking of tossing it in UBC in the mix. Aside from liking the area, I can't really find anything else to draw me in. I too am considering a academic path in planning. Thoughts? Comments?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    UBC's application deadline was Dec 1; they are considered one of the top planning schools in Canada, considered on par with UoT. i work with quite a few graduates of their program and they talk alot about it being very theorhetical. i've applied and am waiting to hear back from them.

Quote Originally posted by goldeneye View post
    UBC's application deadline was Dec 1; they are considered one of the top planning schools in Canada, considered on par with UoT. i work with quite a few graduates of their program and they talk alot about it being very theorhetical. i've applied and am waiting to hear back from them.
    Oh, I was going to apply for 2009. So I was doing my research and figured I would have everything in place for the fall to submit. How about compared to any schools here in the states? I think I'm going to pay them a visit sometime this spring. Have you've talked to anyone in the program?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Torontopian: did Penn contact you and invite you for this visit? Or did you just decide to show up and let them know beforehand? If they're throwing out invitations, I surely haven't received one and that would be a bad sign.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Don't worry, I threw myself at their feet . Well, more like I gave the admission office a call to ask about visiting. They were more than accomodating about it.

I don't think you are supposed to hear back until well into March. Afterall, their deadline was only 4 days ago.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008

UIUC

Quote Originally posted by note to self View post
    I received my acceptance notifications from U of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) and UNC over the last couple days. Still waiting to hear from everywhere else.
    Congrats! I hope they fall high on your list. Have you had the chance to visit yet?

Registered
    Dec 2007
    rd -
    Thanks! I haven't had a chance to visit the campus yet. Are you a student there? Any comments on what the area is like and/or the program?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    People that have heard from UNC, when did you go complete (when did you get the email that said your app was ready for review)? Kinda freaking out here, I'm in Venezuela for a while so I'm kind of "out of the loop". I had submitted on 11/27, but there were issues with getting transcripts to the planning dept, so I don't think they had everything till about 12/5 or 12/6. I went "complete" on 12/20.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Updates

About UNC: My application went complete on 12/17 - that's when I got the email saying so. I visited there this wk & all went well. I sat in on a class, spoke to a professor, and spoke with a grad student - very informative & well worth my time. I didn't get a straight answer on when we would be notified of funding (more my fault than theirs - I wasn't asking the right questions to the right people) but I did gather that it's currently in the works.

About Penn: I did an "informational interview" in Nov. Super helpful & accomodating throughout the entire process. I also visited a class, spoke with a professor & spoke with a student. Since I hadn't even applied at that point, I didn't press the funding issue but I got an impression there wasn't a lot to be had - but that may just be me.

How to dress for these things: Female - dress shoes (not sneakers), jeans or khakis & a nice shirt. I walked around campuss to get a feel for how everyone dressed - I wanted to look nice but not stick out like I was some kind of interview. Of course, that is all just my opinion.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally posted by manzell View post
    Whew... got my apps to UIC, McGill, and Rutgers out the door. Probably going to put one together of UW-Milwaukee too.

Anyone else applying to McGill? That's my top choice.
    I'm applying to McGill, but I'm doing my undergrad here so I'm still decided whether I want to stay in Montreal for grad... What is your focus?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by manzell View post
    Whew... got my apps to UIC, McGill, and Rutgers out the door. Probably going to put one together of UW-Milwaukee too.

Anyone else applying to McGill? That's my top choice.
    I'm also applying to McGill, and it too is my top choice. I just joined this forum though and I'm a bit worried from what I've read about the school...

Registered
    Feb 2008

Penn decision letters

my application for penn's city planning program was completed before christmas. has anyone heard from them yet or know how long it takes for them to respond?

I applied to UPenn, Cornell, Columbia, MIT and Harvard...
    Now..I am getting very worried that I am not getting into one of them
    My GPA is ok and my GRE is just average..

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 10:58 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 10:51 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Mar 2011, 8:40 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Oct 2009, 9:42 PM
  5. Replies: 3