Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22

Thread: So who is applying to grad school for the fall?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008

MIT

The website has posted decisions...rejected as expected but I'm going to Canada anyway

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally posted by DUguy333 View post
    The website has posted decisions...rejected as expected but I'm going to Canada anyway
    Same here. This makes my decision much easier though!

Registered
    Mar 2008
    No gsd for me this year...

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally posted by rudder View post
    No gsd for me this year...
    Me neither. Just got my rejection in the mail.

I'm actually thrilled that I don't have to make any difficult decisions since I only got one acceptance... Tufts UEP it is!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004

for those waiting on UNC

After reading some posts on the decisions thread about UNC financial aid packages, I called Carolyn Turner at UNC and found out that they haven't finished making decisions on the second round of financial aid yet, and hope to mail out the letters by the end of next week. It sounds like those of us in the second round of funding might get some departmental aid (probably not any assistantships I'm guessing), and there are still other scholarships from the school.

Kinda frustrated that I've been checking the mail every day for the last week and won't expect a letter for at least another week and a half, but I guess it's good to know...

Registered
    Dec 2007

MIT

Rejected at MIT via the website. That makes my decision much easier: it looks like I'm going to the GSD.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Anybody else going to Columbia's open house next Thursday (April 3rd)?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    JeM08 - I'm going next week. I'll probably be the oldest one there so I should be easy to spot.

Stopgap - was Harvard your second choice? What do you want to specialize in? I feel really compelled to go there but they gave me no funding.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    where is the website that posted MIT's decisions?

under my application status, it just says "submitted"

maybe i'm not in the right place.

Registered
    Mar 2008

mit website

i was confused too... they sent an email with a link. Mine came from Kathleen Larson... klarson@mit.edu

well, at least i dont have to make a decision that will put me in 80k of debt...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by urbanleopold View post
    After reading some posts on the decisions thread about UNC financial aid packages, I called Carolyn Turner at UNC and found out that they haven't finished making decisions on the second round of financial aid yet, and hope to mail out the letters by the end of next week. It sounds like those of us in the second round of funding might get some departmental aid (probably not any assistantships I'm guessing), and there are still other scholarships from the school.

Kinda frustrated that I've been checking the mail every day for the last week and won't expect a letter for at least another week and a half, but I guess it's good to know...
    ME TOO!!! Thanks for the update. I'm going to the Open House tomorrow (I love 6 am flights) & was going to inquire as well.

Anyone else going?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004

UNC open house

I'm not going, as I visited the school back in October and feel like I got a good feel for the students and the department. Though I'm sure the open house will be a much more exciting affair...

Have fun. I found the students and the faculty to be very warm and friendly, and I'm sure Chapel Hill is pretty nice this time of year...

Be sure to report back!

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I will be attending Columbia's open house

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007

Statistics, yay!

Just one thing for those of you have not taken statistics yet (like me): Several students at USC stressed the benefit of taking it before you get to school (say, at a community college this summer) so that you can test out of it before getting to whichever awesome grad school you go to. First of all, it'll cost far less to take it at the cc than at the expensive grad school, but more importantly, you will be able save credits for the fun planning classes offered at the grad school.

At USC, the students said this was probably the only class this would apply to, perhaps also to intro econ.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    I'm in statistics right now (its required for my graduation) and I highly second what Bookworm said. Get it done with before grad school because its time consuming and tedious...and seemingly useless once you've read "How to Lie With Statistics."

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I think it's safe to say that brushing up on both Econ (micro+macro) and stats is definitely a good idea before embarking on planning grad school.

Also, it is definitely an advantage if you have taken a GIS course beforehand as well.

Registered
    Mar 2008

Where to go, UCLA or Berkeley?

Hey, I am new here, but I like the site.

I was accepted at Berkeley, UCLA, and Cornell, but rejected by MIT. Nobody was offering much for financial aid.

I am trying to decide between UCLA and Berkeley. They are both tugging at me. I will be visiting next week, but I can't wait that long to know more. In Regional/Metropolitan Planning (I know Berkeley dropped the Reg Development Concentration) which is better? What is the opinion of the multitude? Now, no fighting over this.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    IMO Berkeley, no contest. Unless you wish to work in the LA area but even then a Berkeley MCP will only help you.

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Mar 2011, 9:40 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Oct 2009, 10:42 PM
  5. Replies: 3