Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gunfire at work, yikes

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

Gunfire at work, yikes

An hour after I left, there was an altercation outside my office...right below my office window. Gun fire and someone killed. Luckily....I was at the gym. Just creepy! And of course...there was a news report about how safe the city had become.
    here is the full article...the dead man was a police officer from nearby city.
    http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...WS02/801250443
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    This had nothing to do with people at you office, did it?

Glad you missed it.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Our police officers who control the entrance of our building are the ones that killed the man. Someone in my department witness it and I am sure others did as well. Now.. I think it is getting blown out of control....Reverand Al Sharpton is getting involved.

Sadly, a lot of this seems to be involving the issue of homeless in our area. The County has struggled with the homeless situation and this happened at the pick-up for homeless to take them to the shelter.

It seems that an off-duty police officer was shot while trying to break up a fight. When County police officers told him to drop his gun....he didn't.

I am so glad I didn't see it...or was there. A woman got murdered in the parking garage across the street three years ago...and I was there and heard her scream. That was very disturbing.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Yikes Indeed!!!

I am waiting for something like that to happen at my building as we share it with a Regional Wells Fargo and that means that it is a the gathering spot for all of the local wells fargos cash.

That type of violence is difficult to comphrend seeing that it is so far out my everday context.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    May 2005
    Wow. Bad situation there. It sounds like a lack of communication to me. The slain off duty officer may not of heard the officers commands and as a result did not identify himself as a police officer. One of the first things you should do in an off duty situation (or on duty for that matter) is “create witnesses”. Be very verbal in identifying yourself to any one around, even if there is no one around. Continually repeat verbally statement like “Police Officer”, “I’m am A police officer”, “ Don’t shoot”, “ I am an armed police officer”, (in his cause) “ Mount Vernon Police officer”, “Off duty police officer”. This may have happened, there may be witnesses that heard this. The officers apparently did not. Of course, this is all easer said then done when you are under stress. The Mount Vernon police officer must have felt that invention was necessary at the time. If the situation was not life threatening, he could have made a “good witnesses” to the initial situation for in coming police officers. A true tragedy.

Bill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Aug 2008, 8:26 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 03 May 2007, 2:09 PM
  3. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Apr 2004, 4:40 PM
  4. Yikes!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13