Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wind and solar power thread

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Wind power is ugly, hydroelectric kills salmon, solar can be ugly, wave can affect fisheries and boating. Conservation and efficiency have to be the two top areas for improvements in energy use.
    I have never understood the ugly comment regarding solar panels and wind turbines. IMO they are no uglier than a Direct TV dish, power lines, substations, cell towers, cemeteries or the design of most schools (the vast majority look like prisons).
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I have never understood the ugly comment regarding solar panels and wind turbines. IMO they are no uglier than a Direct TV dish, power lines, substations, cell towers, cemeteries or the design of most schools (the vast majority look like prisons).
    I agree that they are no uglier, but everything you mention is ugly. But wind doesn't have to be ugly: http://www.avinc.com/media_gallery/images/clean_power/

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I agree that they are no uglier, but everything you mention is ugly. But wind doesn't have to be ugly: http://www.avinc.com/media_gallery/images/clean_power/
    One of ASU's buildings has these turbines...ironic story...they were destroyed by a wind storm last year.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2003

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    RELATED

Ohio River Hydro Power
    Article from the Louisville Courier-Journal:
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...907230332/1008

HIGHLIGHTS:
    The barges, with submerged turbines, would each generate relatively little electricity — enough to power about 260 typical homes.

While dams have long been a source of hydroelectric power, using barges to capture the power of moving water — a technique known as hydrokinetics — has been getting attention recently.

“All of this technology is in demonstration mode,” said Doug Hall, who manages the water energy research program for the U.S. Department of Energy's Idaho National Laboratory. “There's a certain amount of speculation going on.”

Federal regulators have issued 144 preliminary permits for similar projects since 2007, with more than 65 on the Mississippi River.

skeptics.
    “”Hydrokinetic turbines are unable to produce much electricity because the river current moves too slowly, he said, adding that he has doubts about the long-term reliability of the equipment.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I think that the giant wind turbines are really an awesome sight when viewed up fairly close. There's a large windfarm that crosses US Route 20 between Darien Lakes State Park and the village of Attica, NY, and several of the turbines are fairly close to the road. I had to meet some people in Attica, so I couldn't spend time looking for a good place to take some pix, but I'm going to have to go back and get some shots.

A lot of wind-power opponents complain about how the turbines "spoil the view" but the ones in NY aren't being put on pristine land. They're being put mostly on farm land, some of which is still actively farmed, but a good amount of it abandoned, either because the farmers have quit farming or just retired. The turbines are no worse than seeing the old Harvestore silos and rotting dairy barns that litter the countryside. At least the turbines are enabling active farmers to keep farming and ex-farmers to keep their land as large parcels rather than selling it off piece-meal for house lots and "farmettes" -- and that's in addition to generating electricity. They're a win-win prospect for rural areas of WNY.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    RELATED

Ohio River Hydro Power
    Article from the Louisville Courier-Journal:
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...907230332/1008

HIGHLIGHTS:
    There's been talk of generating electricity like this in the Niagara River between Buffalo and Ft Erie, Ontario. I believe the current around the Peace Bridge is around 18 nauts, which ought to be adequate, but at this point, it's just talk.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=Michele Zone;421712]

I also like the fact that solar and wind tend to complement each other: if it isn't a beautiful, sunny day, the odds are good that winds are higher than usual.

QUOTE]

The same goes with HydroStations. Here in NZ, it's been proposed that we utilize as much wind resource as we can, and when there isn't enough wind to fund regions/cities, THEN we open up the hydrodams alittle bit more - basically utilizing the solar/wind energy as much as we can before relying on anything like Hydro/Coal/etc. About 3-4 years ago, NZ was struck with a power issue as our lakes were drying up and we had to pull together to conserve energy, and you know what? We did. As a country, when the chips are down, people will pull together to bring the rest out of remission. Why cant we be like that all the time I'll never know...

On a different note on power saving...anyone got their hands on the new LED Lightbulbs yet?? (Well, they're not exactly 'new'...but still having a hard time on the market due to their cost)

-------------------------------------
    Vegetable Garden + Home Garden = My Garden

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker~
    RWeb -- posting links to SEO sites, white or black hat, is frowned on at Cyburbia, and may be grounds for banishment. As you are a new user, I encourage you to review our Cyburbia Forum Rules. I've deleted the link and will let the rest of the post stand. Thank you and carry on!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    About 3-4 years ago, NZ was struck with a power issue as our lakes were drying up and we had to pull together to conserve energy, and you know what? We did. As a country, when the chips are down, people will pull together to bring the rest out of remission. Why cant we be like that all the time I'll never know...
    I'm envious. Here in the US, we don't seem to be making any big strides with renewables and have lost the ability to "pull together". Some seem to consider the push for renewable energy a plot to ruin the economy. I have my doubts that we will have enough in place to buffer our economy against the next round of oil price shocks, keeping us in a state of weak growth.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Dec 2009

ITER and wind production

Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    We also must remember that solar & wind can not do it all. We will still have to have back-up sources for when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing. Even with very significant conservation I doubt that we could run a civilized society on wind/solar/hydro alone. Especially if we convert much of our transport system to electric as is common in Europe.
    You're right Richi. I don't think we can run the entire society with wind/solar/hydro alone. Actual nuclear power plants are a good temporary solutions until the fission technics will be developed for the next generation of nuclear power that will be clean and renewable (see ITER research project in Cadarache, France http://www.itercad.org/welcome.php)

Wind and solar are good local and small scale solutions. The important point with wind turbines is to find good locations so that it produces energy... I've heard about this tool called UrbaWind to predict the wind energy production: http://www.meteodyn.com/en/software/urbawind.html

Best,
    Faraday

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Right now the solar solutions are improving alot.
    There are BIPV panels that look great on building while creating power.
    Thin film solar panels that can conform with alot of differently shaped buildings.
    There are many new buildings converting to using solar energy to power itself.

Also, there are mini solar and wind converters which are pretty cute. I think they are going to be in CES this year call Hymini. It's made by one of my favourtie companies. It's a little gadget that can use solar, wind, and hand crank to charge hand held gadgets.
    I bought one 2 months ago and it worked great when I was travelling. I could charge my mp3 player and cellphone anywhere.

Anyway, I hope there will be more and more green innovations in the small and large scale.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

Wind energy becomes first source of electritcy for Spain in 2013.

Article: http://www.aeeolica.org/en/new/spain...n-entire-year/
    "Spain was in 2013 the first country where wind energy was the first source of electricity for an entire year," Acociation Empresaria Edica (AEE), 1/15/2014. Snippets:A
    ccording to the 2013 advance report of the system operator Red Eléctrica de España (REE), the power demand coverage using wind was 20.9%, compared with 20.8% coming from nuclear.

Wind power production during 2013 has been 54,478 GWh, representing a 13.2% increase over 2012. According to calculations by the Spanish Wind Energy Association (AEE), this generation is enough to supply 15.5 million households, a 90% of the total. Nuclear produced 2,337 GWh more than wind last year, but its contribution to the power demand coverage was lower because it consumes more electricity than wind to run its facilities, and this is deducted when calculating power demand coverage.
    2013 could go down in history as a great year for the Spanish wind sector. But it is not the case. The wind power companies ended the year still without knowing the economic impact of the Government’s energy reform. If it goes ahead as proposed, it will have an unfair and disproportionate effect on the wind sector. Companies start 2014 mired in legal uncertainty - retroactivity of legislation set up by the energy reform means that the facilities in place are not going to have the expected income when the investments were made, and without expectation about the future, it is going to be difficult to encourage investors to invest in wind power in this country.
    Wind energy was regulated for the first time in Spain Special Regime Law 54/1997 Electrical Sector, which has been replaced by Law 24/2013 in the context of the Energy Reform. During these 16 years, imports of fossil fuels to generate electricity, as well as emissions of pollutants and CO2 to the atmosphere, have been reduced by over 20%.
    (Commentary) one day after the above publication:
    http://www.geek.com/science/spain-be...nergy-1582426/ ,snippets:
    The [Spain] power generation breaks down as follows:
    • Wind power – 20.9%
    • Nuclear power – 20.8%
    • Coal power – 14.6%
    • Hydroelectric power – 14.4%
    • Combined-cycle plant power – 9.6%
    • Solar power 3.1%
    In total, Spain gets 42.4 percent of its energy from renewable sources.
    . .
    Although there is still a reliance on coal and nuclear, the results from 2013 show a 10.5 percent increase in renewable energy use over the previous year...

Which parts of Spain's renewable energy policy/implementation can be effectively applied to the U.S. and Canada?
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 30 Jan 2014 at 2:31 AM.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Geothermal, Solar, & Wind. OH MY!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Dec 2011, 1:52 PM
  2. Solar power purchase agreements
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Oct 2010, 6:17 PM
  3. Zoning for solar power facilities