Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: e-notices of public hearings

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005

e-notices of public hearings

Has anyone set up a list server to augment the required mailed notices of public hearings with e-mails? I'm sure most of you have heard the complaint "I was never notified" by people that show up at the hearings anyway, and "500 feet (or 750, or 1000, or whatever) isn't enough distance to notify." We've been discussing setting up a list server, a la www.lyris.com, to let residents & owners subscribe to a service for ALL public hearings that get mailed. If they choose to be inundated with stuff they don't care about, why do we care?

At first, the service would be provided in addition to mailed notices. Later we could, using our GIS property database, let owners opt out of mailed notice, relying only on e-notices.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

One of the cautions I've heard is that we'll only generate more complainers. My answer is that they're out there now, and they're getting organized and using the net to spread (mis) information. Better that we're up front and open with notice, and give people a place to go with the right info. Any other thoughts?

Registered
    Feb 1998

e-notices of public hearings

Why not post the notices to a web page, with easy access to all interested? Also, check your statutes to see if "mail" is the required format.

My suggestion, also would be posting notices on a web page. My township is beginning to consider this possibility. While it does not directly notify interested people, it does provide easy access to the information.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 9:57 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 12:23 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Mar 2006, 6:30 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last post: 08 Jan 2005, 12:43 PM