Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies that didn't age well

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Movies that didn't age well

It was a slow weekend, and I was too lazy to go to blockbuster. So, I down loaded Kenneth Braughan"s "Much Ado about Nothing" from the early '90s. I was a major Shakespear fan and this is one of my favorite plays. At the time, I thought it was a bit cheesy, but liked it. This time around it wasn't even watchable. Do I have any other nominees in this category?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    ooohh good thread idea! My nominees include:

- Anything that starred John Wayne
    - Clockwork Orange (sorry the whole 'art' thing dates it horribly)
    - Logans Run
    - The original Star Wars (everything from light sabre fight choreography to SFX)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Carousel ... I think the movie makes wife beating seem OK... to a point of being creepy!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    - Anything that starred John Wayne
    - The original Star Wars (everything from light sabre fight choreography to SFX)
    Really? I'll give you some John Wayne movies, but most of them and definitely the original Star Wars movies are timeless classics. They aren't modern by a long shot, but they have aged well, as the thread references.

I'll suppose I'll add the following:
    Rollerball
    Easy Rider (still kicks ace, but didn't age well)
    any Woody Allen movie from the 70's

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Howabout some of those 1980s 'brat pack' movies, like Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2006
    We watched Ghostbusters last night on VH1Classic. And at the end we asked each other "why the heck was this such a hit?!"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh.....

How about War Games.....you know....the movie with that guy that killed someone in Ireland while drunk driving.....

How about Short Circuit....or any movie with Steve Guttenburg? The whole police academy thing....

How about TAPS?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Really? I'll give you some John Wayne movies, but most of them and definitely the original Star Wars movies are timeless classics. They aren't modern by a long shot, but they have aged well, as the thread references.

I'll suppose I'll add the following:
    Rollerball
    Easy Rider (still kicks ace, but didn't age well)
    any Woody Allen movie from the 70's
    Okay the Duke remark was intentionally provocative and I'll concede that many John Wayne movies haven't aged all that badly (e.g. The Shootist or Rooster Cogburn) but I mentioned Star Wars specifically because so much contrast exists between the earliest and most recent films. Mind you, I find nothing archaic about the storyline of the original Star Wars - it really is a timeless classic in that respect, but in terms of the visuals there's a notable level of difference that 30 years of movie making technology makes.

I'll second the Woody Allen movies. Bananas, Sleeper, Annie Hall - they somehow seemed so much funnier back then.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Any movie, with the notable exception of "Animal House", which begins with the words "National Lampoon's . . ."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Airplane! is so dated, but it is still hilarious to this day. I think the fact that it is so dated makes it even funnier.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Airplane! is so dated, but it is still hilarious to this day. I think the fact that it is so dated makes it even funnier.
    And a related question - is Plan 9 from Outer Space actually better today than it was 50 years ago?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    How about the old Peter Lawford/June Allyson college movies?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    And a related question - is Plan 9 from Outer Space actually better today than it was 50 years ago?
    Yes, because it is sooo campy and cheesey.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Any movie from the 80's (cuz that's my point of reference) that deals with or alludes to Cold War themes.

Anti-nerd theme movies just because nerds are so in right now.

Right off the top of my head:

Revenge of the Nerds - all of them
    Real Genius - Val Kilmer as a brainiac...PULEEZE
    Weird Science - let's build the perfect woman
    Red Dawn - this one's real plausible....a group of teenagers fight off Communists who attack their small town (or something like that)

And because I read somewhere that Drew Barrymore is in the process of remaking this and I thought "WHY???" - Barbarella.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    And because I read somewhere that Drew Barrymore is in the process of remaking this and I thought "WHY???" - Barbarella.
    At least it wasn't Xanadu. Although some hairbrained Broadway Producer thought it was good enough for the live stage. What an idiot.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    May 2005
    I watched Soylent Green recently - What a pile of schlock! People refer to it constantly as an anti-corporate/government conspiracy pop culture landmark. But darned if that isn't one terribly acted and scripted movie. Charleton Heston is stiff, amateurish and terribly unconvincing. And the plot line is depressingly thin. Somehow none of this struck me the first time I saw it, but there it is.

Still, those final lines are worth repeating at appropriate moments - "You gotta tell them! Soylent Green is made from people! PEOPLE!"
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Barbarella?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    How about Deliverance...or any 80's Tom Cruise movie.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my almost 15 yo daughter and her friends are really into the John Hughes' 80's "classics" right now - I think they have memorized The Breakfast Club line by line now - so I would have said these aged well but this generation of teens thinks they are camp/cult, kind of like Heathers...though I hope she doesn't see that one

I watched Dirty Dancing the other night with my daughter and her friends and I definitely think that didn't age well

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Any movie, with the notable exception of "Animal House", which begins with the words "National Lampoon's . . ."
    I think Christmas Vacation is a riot... and Van Wilder isn't bad.

As far as Red Dawn, I still like it. They are actually running away from the commies, and end up fighting them as a "guerrilla" unit of sorts. Since all but a couple of them end up dead, it's a bit more plausible...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Iron Eagle. Although, my inner 7 year old still likes it. This goes for Top Gun as well, though Top Gun was actually pretty well done for what it is (and admit it, "Danger Zone" still rocks.)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    Iron Eagle. Although, my inner 7 year old still likes it. This goes for Top Gun as well, though Top Gun was actually pretty well done for what it is (and admit it, "Danger Zone" still rocks.)
    It seems most post Vietnam, pre 9-11 era movies depicting the military don't hold up well. Caught part of Clint Eastwood's "Heartbreak Ridge" a while back. I remember this being a pretty decent movie, but found it pretty much unwatchable.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Caddyshack

There I said it. It had to be said. I watched it the other day and I was just sick that once my brain found that movie funny.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    The "NEW" Rambo movie!

Old when I saw the first preview!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sometimes I think the only non "dated" flicks are period pieces that aren't cheesy, and those are few and far between. Anything with references to current events at the time of filming will be dated by the time they are released.

But... dated doesn't mean bad. I have fun watching my kid see older flicks and hearing references and looking to me like "huh?". So we have a chance to discuss.

Of course my fave non dated flick is GWTW.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 7:47 PM
  2. Best Dancing Movies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Mar 2005, 9:23 AM
  3. Replies: 52
    Last post: 13 Jan 2005, 10:59 AM
  4. Replies: 72