Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Analog or Digital?

Registered
    Aug 1997

Analog or Digital?

No, I'm not talking about the new TV signals. My wristwatch is dead, and I need to get a new one. I'm curious as to what kind everyone else has, if people even still wear wristwatches. I've used both kinds, analog most recently, but digital in the past.

Would you say you choice of analog or digital represents some part of your personality? Does your watch have Mickey Mouse or the NE Patriots logo or something else to further identify your self-image?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have taken to wearing a watch once again (got one from a well-intentioned spouse for Xmas after missing an appointment) and it's an analog. She knew the analog model would appeal to my neo-Luddite sensibilities and she's right.
    Last edited by Maister; 28 Jan 2008 at 10:51 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I feel naked without a watch on. I own quite a few now and all are analog.

I am not one to be drinking champagne and eating cavier but I think most digital watches just look cheap. That being said though, I wouldn't mind getting an analog watch with a few digital features such as a stop watch or heart rate monitor.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have a Seiko analog that I wear about 75% of the time. The only reason I don't where it 100% is because I have a jacket with a torn lining that it tends to catch on. I really should take that jacket to a tailor.

You should just use your cell phone or crackberry if you want a digital clock on your person. These days, a watch is more of a fashion thing than function with the proliferation of cell phones. To me, analog almost always looks better.

I tend to look for unique watch faces, but not sports logos or anything. The face of mine looks kind of like the inside of a sea shell (kind of irredescent hues of purple, green and red).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I prefer analog. The watches that come in analog are more stylish. When I was a kid circa late 1980s, I got free digital watches with some clothes I bought and they were fluorescent yellow, pink, and orange. I associate digital watches with the "cutting edge technology" of the 1980s. That means if I were wearing a digital watch now, I'd feel like a 7-year-old in a bright orange tunic and a bright yellow watch and a ponytail on the side of my head.

I always use my watch to tell the time and feel lost without it. My cell is usually in my purse and at work, my purse isn't always with me. My SO needs to wear a watch so he'll look like a grown-up.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Go analog. It's a great comfort to be able to say, "half-past", "quarter til", or "about" instead being forced into meaningless precision.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I've worn digitals exclusively since 1978. Timex Ironman/Triathalon/Expedition derivatives since 1987. When I moved out of the 'rents house in 1989, they bought me a really nice Seiko analog, despite my protests to get me a digital. I think I took it out of the box once.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I like analogs, too, but for several years now have been essentially using the cell phone as a pocket watch.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    For fashion and everyday use, I prefer analog. I find analog timepieces offer a much better visual representation of the day, and the current time in relation to it. Same thing with auto gauges, thermometers and other meteorological equipment, and electrical test gear: give me analog.

I have a Seiko pilot's chronograph for work and formal clothing, and a thick Timex chronograph (yes, it's all analog) for more casual wear. I'd love to have a hybrid analog-digital watch, like a Citizen Eco-Drive.

Digital watches have their place. A gazillion-function Casio is nice to have as a beater watch if you're hiking or camping in familiar territory, and you're already equipped with a compass and GPS. Otherwise, except for some of the new digital watches from Nixon, they just look cheap and kind of geeky.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I am a watch guy, and i own a bunch of analog watches. I am particullary found of of fossil watches, and two birthdays ago, my wife purchased this hybrid watch for me that i really dug. Best of both worlds. Here is what it looks like, except it has a stainless steel band rather than leather.http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/sto...4959916&Va=120
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I have an analog whose battery died about 2 months ago.

Right now I use the digital on my cell phone.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I own several watches, all analogs. I don't wear watches a lot. My wife has bought me a couple over the years.

I must be pre- pre-Luddite, because my preferred timepiece is an analog pocket watch. I like fishing it out of my pocket (especially handy for those pants that have watch or change pockets), popping open the lid, looking at the time, then snapping it shut and putting it back in my pocket.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Analog all the way. It must be a conditing thing because I can look at a digital watch and still not tell you the time.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I own three wristwatches and they're all analog. Two are Wenger's; one with a stainless steel band and one with leather band.
    The third is a casual watch with both an analog and digital display of time, and digital display of day and date. It does some other things that I haven't bothered to learn.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    just a very plain and simple analog Timex.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I refuse to be a slave to time. Unless it is "closing time" or Beer:30.

In that case, I usually choose analog for my own neo-Luddite interests. But becoming more active, I have been considering a digital watch in order to "time stuff"
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm a watch-a-holic. All of them are analog. I color-coordinate my watches with my outfit for the day, I reserve my character watches like Mickey Mouse for the weekends.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Pocket watch as I absolutely hate wearing jewerly!
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm a watch loser, as in one who loses watches. I agree that most digital watches look cheap and unstylish. I have had such watches and was glad to lose them. Most recently I lost a beautiful analog Seiko that Mrs. O gave me many years ago. I miss that watch. I also miss the analog pocket watch a girlfriend gave me years before Mrs. O came on the scene. Right now I use the cell phone. When I next get a watch it will be analog with a leather band. I don't like metal against my skin. Wedding ring is the one exception I tolerate, and then only when I am not in a bar.

Registered
    May 2005
    I wouldn't wear a digital watch, personally. I think the last time I did was middle school. I had an LED watch! Yeah, that's right - red letters that looked suspiciously like dad's calculator. Everyone else had graduated to LCD, but I was a traditionalist even back then, I guess...

But ever since that one died, I've been analog all the way. Maybe its because my G-Grandfather was a watchsmith, but it somehow seems like a crime to wear a digital watch (since I do, in fact, know how to tell time). I suppose if I needed some of those special functions, but personally I don't. I like them simple, unadorned, (no pictures on the face) and not too honkin' large (I'm not fond of the multi-pound Rolex look with the metal band, personally). Field watches have always seemed nice to me, though I never owned one, for their simplicity and ruggedness.

Its worth noting I don't even own a watch currently - I find there is almost always a clock somewhere nearby. Unless I'm out camping or something, in which case I really don't WANT to know the time...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Time to go cycling!

This scan was part of a message to some new colleagues visiting from Minnesota. I added city markings and travel times.

I have only four rules for my watches:
    1. Analog only.
    2. Relatively small internally-illuminated face.
    3. Fabric band.
    4. Must be worn with the face inside the wrist. (Opposite Veloise, above.)
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2005
    analog, leather band, worn on the right wrist even though i'm right-handed.

imo, digital is only good when you're involved in some type of activity where the watch might get wet, kayaking, running, etc.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I prefer digital. The last two watches I got, I got down in Florida. Well, the 2nd one broke and I've been watch-less for a while, which means I need a vacation again.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Analog, definitely. As others pointed out, digital watches look cheap... just like my digital travel alarm clock that cost about $3.99.

After years of Timex watches dying on me for one reason or another, I splurged a couple of years ago and bought a Citizens Eco-Drive watch. It's solar powered!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards Digital billboards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Oct 2012, 12:49 AM
  2. CD's vs digital music
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 16 Dec 2010, 9:10 AM
  3. Signs / billboards Digital sign regulations