Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Television shows that didn't age well

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Television shows that didn't age well

AIB Movies that didn't age well

A lot of television shows didn't age very well, especially those where the genre evolved.

Look at Star Trek, and the original Battlestar Galactica; essentially "planet of the week" affairs. They're positively cheesy compared to the deeper, more serialized SF shows of today, such as Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, and Babylon 5.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Get Smart, Brady Bunch, Space Patrol.....etc. I think it is more of an exception when a television show can transcend time. BY the way I do love the above listed.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Mar 2004
    CHiPs

('nuff said!)

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2002

TV

Night Rider, or any show with a talking car or a Pontaic Firebird.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Waiting for someone to post "I remember when the 'Dukes of Hazard' represented the pinnacle of television entertainment..." but alas no one has done so yet

I'd have to agree that most television shows have not aged well but hardest hit are: 1) those within the sci-fi genre (notable exception is the Twighlight Zone, which featured some of the best writing in telelvision history that stands up admirably even in todays light) and 2) what I'll term 'current/topical comedy' which would include shows such as Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in, the Smothers Brothers, or All in the Family
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Cosby Show...check out the infamous sweaters...
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I thought about this catching some Nick at Nite one night.

Three's Company.
    Example #1
    Janet: Well, she's not here yet. Why don't you call her?
    Jack: That'd be a great idea . . . . if she had a phone in her car!
    Audience laughs.
    Example #2
    Janet: Men should be required to wear wedding rings.
    Jack: They could always take them off.
    Janet: Through their nose.
    Audience laughs.
    I can imagine that younger folk like Suburb Repairman don't understand why those jokes would have been funny in 1981.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Waiting for someone to post "I remember when the 'Dukes of Hazard' represented the pinnacle of television entertainment..." but alas no one has done so yet
    That (and Hee-Haw, and Enos, and...) was so cheesetastic that the passing of time can do nothing to, er, lessen them.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    That (and Hee-Haw, and Enos, and...) was so cheesetastic that the passing of time can do nothing to, er, lessen them.
    Lessen? Never! These sorts of shows shall always occupy their own very special unique place within the gilded halls of television history. Shows like 'Hee Haw' and 'Enos' will long be spoken of with the same reverence accorded to: 'My Mother the Car,' 'Hello Larry', 'Pink Lady & Jeff', and 'Working Stiffs'.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Lessen? Never! These sorts of shows shall always occupy their own very special unique place within the gilded halls of television history. Shows like 'Hee Haw' and 'Enos' will long be spoken of with the same reverence accorded to: 'My Mother the Car,' 'Hello Larry', 'Pink Lady & Jeff', and 'Working Stiffs'.
    Off-topic:
    My sister is buddies with Sonny Schroyer (Deputy Enos himself) - hometown guy, met at Toastmasters, I think. We may laugh, but Dukes and Enos still pays his bills.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Thought of another genre that did not age well....1970's cop shows. I can't think of one that would get past the pilot stage today....Adam 12, Police Story, Chips, Ironsides, Emergency (okay, maybe not a cop show per se), Mannix, Hawaii 50, Kojak.....

I think the show Hill Street Blues forever raised the bar so that we can no longer enjoy all the B-movie fare that cop shows previously had to offer.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I think a lot of you are confusing camp and cheesiness with not aging well.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    A few years back Nick at Nite ran the original Dragnet. Of course when it was a long-running TV show it was serious. Now of course it is way campy. Jack Webb's deadpan serious delivery of those cheesy lines is now a hoot. And he was so stiff physically. When he walked, he pumped his arms back and forth like a robot. And he never could pull of the swinging single cop he was trying to portray. Dan Ackroyd did a better Joe Friday.

That is a show that hasn't aged well.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

The Crosby Show. I've only seen snippets from it, but it's definately showing its age.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The nightly network news from the big 3. Now they are but sad hollow shells of their former glory.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Oh geez, Green Acres... Petticoat Junction... Gomer Pyle USMC (or any other show with a female character named "Bunny"...). Sexist.. man-hunting females... idiot rural people. I'm not throwing in the Beverly Hillbillies because I still think Grannie and Jed are a hoot.

On the other hand, I think the original Bob Newhart show has aged well.

Registered
    May 2005
    To be honest, I think that 99% of television shows don't age well, although that doesn't really mean they're bad shows.

The real question should be the TV shows that can stand the test of time.

Like Sanford and Son.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    To be honest, I think that 99% of television shows don't age well, although that doesn't really mean they're bad shows.

The real question should be the TV shows that can stand the test of time.

Like Sanford and Son.
    Love Fred. My kid wanted to have a new friend over this past weekend. His name is Logan. Oddly, I kept thinking of him as Lamont. Ack. I'm watching too much Sanford & Son.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Love Fred. My kid wanted to have a new friend over this past weekend. His name is Logan. Oddly, I kept thinking of him as Lamont. Ack. I'm watching too much Sanford & Son.
    No one can ever watch too much of that show. I'm too young to have been around when it orignally aired, but Red Foxx was brilliant.

"My name's Fred Sanford. That's S-A-N-F-O-R-D period."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Old tv shows: the test of time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 17 Jan 2013, 10:52 AM
  2. TV Shows, the second generation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Jun 2012, 2:01 PM
  3. Replies: 14