Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Radio series on land use begins airing February 28, 2008

Registered
    Nov 2002

Radio series on land use begins airing February 28, 2008

A major new series examining on-the-ground impacts of land policy begins airing today on National Public Radio's acclaimed afternoon news program All Things Considered.

The series, called Shifting Ground, was produced by David Baron, an award-winning author and journalist who has worked in public radio for more than 20 years, previously as science and environment correspondent for NPR, and science editor for the Public Radio International-BBC program "The World."

The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy supported Baron's work, and the series was acquired and edited by NPR. After the first installment airing Thursday, February 28 on All Things Considered, the reports will air as an occasional series in the weeks and months ahead. They will be archived and available on the website www.shifting-ground.com.

"I'm thrilled to see the series making it to air, after several years in gestation," said Baron, who sought to "help listeners understand the forces that are altering America's landscape, and how individuals and communities are trying to wrest back control."

Baron said he hopes the series will stand out not just in substance, but in style. "Stories about land use are often technical and abstract. Zoning, setbacks, comprehensive plans -- just mention the terms, and eyes glaze over," he said. "We decided the key would be storytelling, and though the stories are place-specific, they touch on issues that listeners can relate to, wherever they live."

One installment looks at conservation easements, a popular tool for protecting private land from development, by exploring the case of an easement at a Wyoming ranch put in place in 1993 and then undone years later. The story raises questions about society's commitment to protecting land, and whether those protections should be flexible. Another story looks at a community in Nevada that is trying to save its rural character in the face of suburban growth, where the central character is a braying donkey who invites a lawsuit claiming violation of a noise ordinance. A verdict against the animal sparked a community uprising in defense of livestock ownership.

Other stories in the series are based in New York, Texas, and Michigan, addressing the siting of wind farms, the difficulties of removing homes from eroding beaches, and the use of green burials as a land conservation tool.

"I hope, over time, this growing compilation of stories will serve as a resource for educators, community organizers, and anyone else interested in land use issues," Baron said.

The Orton Family Foundation, based in Middlebury, Vermont, which promotes pro-active decision-making and land use planning by providing tools, guidance, research and other support to citizens, also provided support for Shifting Ground.

"I am extraordinarily grateful to the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy and the Orton Family Foundation for making this series possible," Baron said. "Finding, reporting, and producing these stories requires far more time and resources than your typical news report, and a project of this scope would not be feasible without their support."
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

NPR series - 'Shifting Ground'

http://www.shifting-ground.com/Home.html

Series starts this afternoon on NPR All Things Considered

Supported by
    The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy:
    http://www.lincolninst.edu/pubs/shifting_ground.asp

The Orton Family Foundation:
    http://www.orton.org/index.cfm?fusea...age&pageid=686

Anybody listen to NPR at work ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2006
    All damn day, my friend.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I posted the press release from the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy over in the Announcements Forum.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    I posted the press release from the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy over in the Announcements Forum.
    Moderator note:
    Threads merged
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2002
    JNA:

Anybody listen to NPR at work ?
    Only their music.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2008, 7:51 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 04 Feb 2008, 3:42 PM
  3. Replies: 8