Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How good is UC Denver?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004

How good is UC Denver?

I am thinking of applying to UC Denver for a dual architecture/planning program (master's) - and at the moment they are at or near the top of my list, mainly from my impressions of the school and the city when I visited. But, I have heard an unsubstantiated rumor that their program is not the strongest - for whatever that's worth. Just wondering what you all know about the school, either by reputation or personal experience, about the quality of instruction in these programs.

Thanks!

-MM

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I graduated back in 1991, and I have not kept up with the program, so I have not heard that rumor.

The reason I went there was it -
    was (is) accredited; had in-state tuition; had two great internship/part-time work experiences (both lasted 2 + yrs)
    and best of all - that they accepted me.

Part of their strength then was the number of working professionals as adjunct faculty.
    I believe they prepared me for my first and current planning job which gave me the necessary experience to earn my AICP.

You will hear from The One, another UCD grad.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup....

Listen to JNA, he knows of what he speaks......

I enjoyed the program and got a lot out of it.....Fantastic adjunct faculty! Internship experience was great.... I graduated in 1997 and at the time, the Architecture and Planning programs were in fine shape. Classmates of mine from the 1990's are doing very well now.....at least the one's I know about You'll get what you want out of the program without any problem.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    It is still a good program and the only one in Colorado. For jobs in the Rocky Mountain West, it is held in high regard.

And they will LOVE the out-of-state tuition you'll pay too
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2007

UCD

My experience of the grads around here is pretty good.

Of course, you are paying out of state tuition and as such you should look at other programs if you're doing that - UW in Seattle, UCLA, UC Berkeley, etc. IMHO you should look harder unless you are a hard-core outdoors person, then you want to come here.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Aug 2007, 4:23 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2003, 11:03 AM
  4. Going to Denver???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 20 Dec 2002, 9:34 AM