Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Regulation of small ethanol distilleries

Registered
    Jan 2008

Regulation of small ethanol distilleries

Our community would like to begin regulating small ethanol distilleries which are primarily operated by local farmers. Is anyone aware of any local ordinances which address setbacks, public safety issues, types of equipment that can be used, emergency response, odors, or any other issues associated with small operations producing ethanol?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    This is a really interesting question. I'm surprised this issue hasn't come up before in places like Iowa etc.

Depending on the size, I would suggest treating a distillery like an accessory or primary use that involves chemicals. Kind of like a printing press. (best example I can think of, off the bat ).
    You might want to attach proper stipulations like distance from main structure or area where corn is grown etc. for safety and other purposes.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sign regulation in small towns
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 3:22 AM
  2. What's the deal with ethanol?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 67
    Last post: 03 Mar 2008, 4:22 PM
  3. Ethanol! A killer?
    Environmental Planning