Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Lenten Sacrifice

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Your Lenten Sacrifice

I am working on a few vices and want to add more positive things to my day, so for me, it will be:
    • No Internet during the workday (really, not kidding - I'll still be around but at night or in the early morning)
    • some monitored fasting - lots of miso, nuts and berries kind of thing -
    • More prayer time - I know this sounds corny but my Dad used to say a rosary every day - he was the big conductor on the railroad but he always found time to sit and pray for someone else - I can't get to daily Mass but I can carve out a few minutes to ask for help for others

how about you (if you do Lent, that is)?

so Fat Tuesday, it's a burger and fries for lunch, I will live on the internet (though I am booked solid all morning in meetings that day), and I won't give a flying f$%^ about anyone else! ,
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 01 Feb 2008 at 2:20 PM. Reason: sentence structure?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    No more than two toppings on my pizza.

Nah, I don't do lent.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I don't do lent.
    Me either. And what is this sacrifice of which you speak?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Drinking and smoking. And drugs. (oh, wait...)

In reality, since about 1/6/08 I've worn a certain color combination a couple times a week. For Lent I give up purple, green, and gold.

[backslid atheist]

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I will be sacrificing Friday night fish fry for Lent. I'll be eating red meat instead.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    For Lent I like to give up the giving up of whatever I gave up for my New Year's resolution.

This year I will be giving up giving up drinking less on bowling night.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What to give up during Lent? After much thought I have determined I will make the following sacrifices:

- Utter no curses in either Armenian, Finnish, or Swahili
    - Consume no more than five beers at a sitting
    - Endeavor not to talk in my sleep quite so much
    - Refrain from solving integral calculus problems no matter how badly the urge may strike
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Looks like Lent isn't a biggie for most folks here. I grew up Presbyterian and, as good Protestants, we didn't do those Catholic things like Lent and fasting. Married a Lutheran, became one and have more awareness of Lent since we're only 1 degree of separation from Roman Catholics. I still don't give anything up for Lent except my Wednesday evenings and Good Friday for additional weekly services before Easter.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Growing up Lutheran, I wasn't really raised on the whole Lent thing.

However, I agree with LP that I should pray more. In addition, I also need to stay disciplined and stick to my New Year's Resolutions.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm giving up Lent for Lent.

Seriously, I have never given up anything for Lent or observed the no meat on Friday thing. This does remind me, MrT's family does follow that tradition and will be visiting us during Lent. Good excuse to take them to a nice seafood place.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What to give up during Lent? After much thought I have determined I will make the following sacrifices:

- Utter no curses in either Armenian, Finnish, or Swahili
    - Consume no more than five beers at a sitting
    - Endeavor not to talk in my sleep quite so much
    - Refrain from solving integral calculus problems no matter how badly the urge may strike
    I couldn't do the beers one...

I have vowed to give up religion for Lent.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I know a lot of non-Catholics that practice Lent - giving up a vice or trying to be more spiritual. It's sort of hard to not recognize or at least acknowledge it because New Orleans is such a heavy-Catholic city.

I've tried to give up fried foods, but every place under the sun serves fried seafood on Fridays. I'll come up with something between now and Wednesday.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I do my best to give up some food that i am consuming way too much for my own good- so this year it will be chocolate i think... not sure how i will go, but i will do my best.

My father always gives up coffee, tea, beer, biscuits, chips etc. He always manages to lose a lot of weight as well
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Oh, it's Lent again? I gave all that up in 8th grade when my parents let me quit going to church (Episcopalian). Until then, yeah, we had to give something up and they didn't let us do anything stupid. Like I don't eat seafood so I couldn't say I'd give that up. I gave up a lot of chocolate.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and everything...I am part of the "Recovering Catholic" group. Needless to say, I eat meat with relish on Good Friday.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Jul 2007

good catholic girl

I'm giving up fried food, but I also try and do something for myself to make me better. For my self improvement I am going to be better about getting my exercise running in while i'm writing my thesis!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I remember learning about Lent for the first time. This person explained to me and then added that she would be sacrificing her love for Doritos for Lent.

I always think of this story whenever I see the word of Lent.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    As a Presbyterian, I don't have to give up anything for Lent. However, in college I had a Catholic roommate, so we both gave up something for Lent the two years we were together. First year I gave up desserts. The second year I gave up fried food. The second was easier to do, especially since we lived on campus.

What I always remember about Lent:
    Freshman year of college, standing in the drink line. Guy and his buddy behand me are talking about what they are giving up for the Lent season. The first guy says "I'm giving up my virginity for Lent". Second guy says "Can't top that. Maybe I'll give up blow-jobs".

Since then, I just can't think of Lent without laughing.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    The second year I gave up fried food. The second was easier to do, especially since we lived on campus.
    Huh? When I lived in the dorms last year, it was hard to find something to eat that wasn't fried. Menu items mostly consited of chicken fingers, chicken patties, french fries, burgers, mozzarella sticks, pizza, etc. The stuff that was actually supposedly more healthy (baked chicken/pork/beef, steamed vegetables, deli sandwiches, salad bar) were usually the items that were left sitting out for long periods of time and would make you sick, so I tended to avoid those.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Television
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    It has worked so well the past few years, I think I will do it again!

I am giving up:

sobriety
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am giving up giving things up.........
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and everything...I am part of the "Recovering Catholic" group. Needless to say, I eat meat with relish on Good Friday.
    I'm with you on this one KSharpe. (Sorry Mom!)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Along with btrage I am in your camp. Though, because I married a Catholic, we are having fish on Friday during Lent. Fortunately there was a sale on halibut this week and I scored a bunch of good frozen halibut steaks for about half the usual price.

Halibut and fresh-caught trout are about the only fish I like.

When I did practice Lent I did it like many Catholics in south Louisiana - gave up something good I liked (po-boys, Dixie beer, Catholic girls, etc.) and if I went two weeks I figured that was good enough.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Oh, it's Lent again? I gave all that up in 8th grade when my parents let me quit going to church (Episcopalian). Until then, yeah, we had to give something up and they didn't let us do anything stupid. Like I don't eat seafood so I couldn't say I'd give that up. I gave up a lot of chocolate.
    I grew up Roman Catholic and we always did the Good Friday thing of not talking for three hours (from noon to three), ate no meat on Fridays..............but like you ZG I quit regular church in the 8th grade..........that was in Massachusetts, and I have lived all over since then..............now in the Austin area, went to Long John Silvers (a fast food fish place) and the place was PACKED on Friday, the drive-up line out to the street.............so looks like a few down here observe the fish-Friday thing.............

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 07 Mar 2013, 10:53 AM
  2. Relocation: what would you sacrifice?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jul 2010, 3:08 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 Nov 2003, 10:31 AM