Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Infrequent Indian food cookers: does the curry smell go away?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Infrequent Indian food cookers: does the curry smell go away?

My girlfriend, sweetheart that she is, cooked me up some scrumptous Indian food on Saturday. (No, she's not Indian, although she loves their cuisine.) As with much Indian cuisine, there was generous use of curry spices. The result was quite yummy.

However, two days later, my house still reeks of curry. It smells like an Indian restaurant. I'm thinking "oh s**t!" I forgot that curry was one of the most difficult food smells to eliminate from a house.

I've heard horror stories from people who struggled to get rid of a curry smell when they bought or rented a residence that was previously occupied by curry fanatics. This is just one time, though. Will the smell from one homemade Indian dish go away on its own, or will it linger on for weeks or months?

El Guapo? Anyone?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    It's yours FOREVER [insert evil laugh here]

It should be fine -

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Surprised you find it is still lingering...could just be because you don't have windows/doors open in the winter?

We've never had a problem, but then again I love the smell of curry.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I've had this problem with tikka masala. Basically, you have to open all the windows for like an hour. That generally takes care of it.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We just mady the other night...it goes away....if it is really bothering you that muchtry febreeze or something...a friend of mine uses curry so much that her house permenantly smells of it....but they cook it almost daily

Registered
    Jul 1998
    It disappears much too quickly unfortunately.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Echoing what the others have said, it will go away. Don't worry about it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Echoing what the others have said, it will go away. Don't worry about it.
    And a further echo, adding the query, "Why would you want it to go away?" It smells so good. But all cooking smells go awy, including fish, curry, fried onions, garlic, etc. This is making me so hungry!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dan
    She sounds lovely. I've alway had a soft spot for women who cook me Indian food. But, yes, sometimes the smell can be too much, too long.

In my experience it is a combination of the oils and the indian spices that cause the indian food residual smell. Try some Simple Green as a cleaner/degreaser. It has worked for me in the past. Also, grease will splatter much further than it sometimes appears. You have to wipe down the entire area. Also, you may need to run the over the stove air filter through the dishwasher.

Good luck.

Oh, and tell please Manjula I said "Namaste"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smile-bindi.gif  
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I knew I'd get at least one "what's wrong with it?" response. Well, my own farts smell phenomenal, too, but I don't want my house to persistently smell of them.

Basically, curry is very pungent, and although the smell can be pleasant in moderate doses, I prefer that I have control over what I smell in my house. I like the Cowboy Junkies, Rush and Fleetwood Mac, but I don't want to listen to them 24-7 against my will.

It's also very difficult to sell a house with a strong curry smell, and although I'm not leaving soon, if my girlfriend (who I'm now nicknaming "Manjula") insists on cooking Indian regularly, I'll probably insist that she do it outside.

I know Febreeze is intended more for fabric, but I emptied a can in the kitchen a few minutes ago. I've also got a bowl of vinegar sitting at ground zero, the over-the-stove fan filter in the dishwasher, and a fresh gallon of Simple Solution at the ready to apply at full strength should those fail.

EG, thanks for writing back. I know you have firsthand knowledge, so I hope the smell goes away in a bit.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    You could always try the simmer-a-pot-of-spices open house trick. Cinnamon, cloves, and ginger smell really good, and would add a base note to the curry.

[got red beans & rice on the stove...]

Registered
    Oct 2003
    How about burning a bit of artificial vanilla on your stove range?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    have you taken out the trash yet?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sorry don't know, don't cook with curry.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It does go away....eventually. Fresh air helps a lot.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

I think the solution is that the next time she cooks curry, you invite us all over to ear. Curry yum!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    if my girlfriend (who I'm now nicknaming "Manjula") insists on cooking Indian regularly, I'll probably insist that she do it outside.
    I'm willing to bet that if you insist she cook outside, the problem will go away, but not in the way you're thinking. No offense Dan but you're sounding like a bit of an ingrate over this.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread. Back in my college years, I used to love cooking Indian food... until one of my roommates (who to this day detests Indian food) threatened to kick me out of our apartment if I didn't cease & desist.

I like Veloise's idea of simmering spices on the stove. I think there are some odor-neutralizing sprays on the market now. You could also encourage your girlfriend to bake bread or (better yet) make cookies the next day. Isn't that what realtors advise homesellers to do, to make the house smell really good?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I'm willing to bet that if you insist she cook outside, the problem will go away, but not in the way you're thinking. No offense Dan but you're sounding like a bit of an ingrate over this.
    Yeah. Need to tread lightly. Or else the girlfriend might go away before the smell of curry does. I have an issue with my wife's overuse of cumin, but usually just eat it and shut up.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    No offense Dan but you're sounding like a bit of an ingrate over this.
    A bit offensive, Tran. I do have a sensitive sense of smell, and lingering odors really do bother me. If I have to respect her peeves, why can't it be mutual?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I have heard that boiling anise seeds gets rid of smells. ...at least fish smells. IMO...fish is worse than curry.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The smell thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 12 Feb 2013, 1:32 PM
  2. A man wants to smell like a man
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM