Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Texas Planners - Going to Austin in March??

Registered
    Aug 2004

Texas Planners - Going to Austin in March??

Any of the Lone Star State planners heading to Austin for UT's Land Use Conference next month? I've sent in a request to attend. I have no idea how that'll go over, because I'm so new here. I outlined the positives:

1) Only 2 days
    2) Cheap place to stay (cheaper than the conference hotel)
    3) I need to maintain my AICP, thus I need CM's
    4) I don't get to go to Vegas

If I get to go, hubby may come with me to spend the weekend down there.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    5. Austin is a pretty town
    6. Bluebonnets in the Hill Country
    7. Tex-Mex
    8. You might cross paths with Lance
    9. The bats flying out of that bridge at dusk
    10. Gingerbread pancakes
    11. Weds night contra dancing at a neighborhood community center

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I've got it on my list of possibilities, especially if I can't go to Vegas. Do we know how many AICP credits can be earned? Last I checked, it wasn't listed with APA. I'd hate to think those 2 or 3 days wouldn't earn many credits.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I've got it on my list of possibilities, especially if I can't go to Vegas. Do we know how many AICP credits can be earned? Last I checked, it wasn't listed with APA. I'd hate to think those 2 or 3 days wouldn't earn many credits.
    I sent an email to the hosts, and they aren't sure yet. They've submitted to AICP and are waiting on a ruling. I'm hoping it's at least 5 credits. I'd only be doing the two days - the boot camp doesn't interest me.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I'd only be doing the two days - the boot camp doesn't interest me.
    Probably the most worthwhile part for either of us. Let me know if you hear back from them.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    OK, just got word from the powers that be. I have approval to attend the conference! I will submit my registration form tomorrow for payment. I'm not doing the boot-camp, just the 2 days (March 6-7).

Anyone up for a mini-laefest??

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddly enough, we will probably be passing each other on IH-35. I'm going to Dallas to present at the ASPA National Conference. However, Habanero and TexanOkie will be nearby.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I will be in town but unfortunately will not be attending the conference. Instead I get to attend CNU in April. It was an if/or situation, and come on... CNU... or UT land use. (UT sucks... well, not really, I'm just a biased Sooner alumnus)

Hopefully I'll see you guys at CNU in April, though!

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I heard fro AICP Certificate Maintenance that they are still reviewing UT-CLE's request for credits. They requested 13 credits from AICP. We'll have to wait to see how many credit hours AICP actually approves.

I'm still waiting to find out if I can go.
    JOE ILIFF

Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Austin, Texas (long)
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 9:05 PM
  2. Hello from Austin, Texas!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Apr 2010, 6:43 PM
  3. Hello, from Austin Texas!