Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A Sad Day in The D! (Detroit, that is)

Registered
    Mar 2007

A Sad Day in The D! (Detroit, that is)

I know there are a few others on this forum who are intimately familiar with Detroit - especially the area around the Wayne State University campus so I thought I would pass this on.

If you are familiar with The Forest Arms apartment building, which had been at the corner of Second Ave and Forest will likely be a total loss. Over the past few years, the Midtown area, and more specifically the area right around campus, has been undergoing a great re-birth (many thanks are due to Dr. Irving Reid, President of WSU and the capital improvements he has helped push through) and this neighborhood is one of the few in Detroit that had some significant density, was relatively free of violent crimes (property crimes remain a huge problem however and this fire may prove to be a result of that) and just had a great urban character and some real connectivity with its surroundings.

Forest Arms Fire!

I just hope that once the people who lived in this building (and worked here - as it was home to a great independent coffee shop and one of the last remaining independent record stores in the city) are taken care of that the owners are able to do something with the property relatively quickly. It would be a shame to leave a burnt-out shell of a building on this great location for too long, especially in a neighborhood that has really been working so hard to redeem itself as a great place to live and work.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm thankfull it seems that everyone got out. It is momments like this I am most proud of the City. Transit arrived with busses to keep the residents warm and the fire department once again ran in there to ensure everyone was out.

WSU offered to put up all of the students for the rest of the semester in dorms or apartments. If you click the link, you will notice that neighbors are offering free places to stay.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Detroit 187
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Sep 2010, 3:18 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Oct 2007, 10:29 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 10 Apr 2007, 12:44 PM
  4. Hello from Detroit!
    Introduce Yourself