Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: California environmental controversy: road vs waves

Registered
    Jul 2003

California environmental controversy: road vs waves

Calif Torn Between Commute, Surf Break
    http://columbus.mediacomtoday.com/co...O0&pd=20080206
    Two of California's favorite pasttimes _ surfing and driving _ are on a collision course as state officials consider building a toll road to one of the world's best surf breaks.

Plans for 16 miles of asphalt ending near Trestles, the "Yosemite of Surfing," have galvanized surfers and environmentalists. They argue the project would wipe out endangered species, ruin the park and block the sediment deposits that create the world-class waves.
    So, they could build a toll road to a very popular beach in such a way that it destroys the aspect of it which makes it popular. If this isn't an environmental planning topic, I don't know what is.

(And I'm reminded of the Aswan Dam. Or the saying "I would give my left arm to be ambidextrous." sigh.)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I remember when they built the Capital Beltway in Maryland they selected a twisting and turning route in order to use as much parkland as possible for the right-of-way. It was cheaper than building the road where it should have gone. The legacy is an area high in accidents. I suspect the trestles tollway is all about money, not about what is best.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm surprised that this is still a live issue. When I first read about it nearly 2 years ago, the sentiment seemed to be that it wouldn't happen. I hope that it doesn't. Eventually Californians will have to accept that their cars are an outdated means of getting around and that auto-oriented transportation systems are no longer something that this society can afford.

I wondered why that Capital beltway was so curvaceous. Nice to finally know! The shortened sight distance and the greater level of attention commanded of drivers does make it feel dangerous.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater View post
    I'm surprised that this is still a live issue. When I first read about it nearly 2 years ago, the sentiment seemed to be that it wouldn't happen. I hope that it doesn't.
    I saw this earlier today and just didn't have time to post it:

"Officials Pick Surf Break Over Toll Road"

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...9hsRwD8ULEMH80

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Good on the commission! But the special interests will fight on. After all, the ex. director of the road building agency is looking after his job.

Actually, CA is not doing too badly at transportation. The state has far more transit and rail than most states of like population.

And, at least in the north, the devotion to the car did not rule all. I remember "freeway ends" sighs where the 4-lane divided road necked down to pass through a redwood grove or some other natural wonder, and then the 4-lane picked up again. In Florida, I suspect we would have just bulldozed the way through.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Sorry I am late...............Having surf there in my youth and considering that the journey down to the spot and the remoteness aspect is way cool.........I think whoever came up with the toll road idea should be feed to the sharks.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Not sure the sharks would be pleased. Might spit 'um out!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Dec 2012, 8:15 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 5:19 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Feb 2008, 11:19 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Apr 2003, 9:53 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Oct 2000, 1:40 PM