Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: karaoke heroes

Registered
    Jan 2005

karaoke heroes

Karaoke singing belongs somewhere near dead last on my the list of things to take seriously. Give me a copious amount of beer and I've been known to occasionally butcher your favorite classic rock tune. For me, more beer generally means less shame that I would otherwise have being sober and singing badly.

For others, karaoke night at the local watering hole is a serious event, and a time to shine. Tonight I encountered one of these "karaoke heroes". We made some small chat at the bar, but once he grabbed the song menu I knew he was all business; his game face was on.

A couple of beers later he was called up to the mic. It was showtime. Sure enough, dude btlted out the most bitchin' rendition of Billy Joel's "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant". Almost brought a tear to my eye.

This dude was from out-of-town, here on business. Dude took his karaoke act on the road And we were all quite impressed.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Interesting observation...you should read my post on Bears karoake thread. Basically, karaoke is a Japanese invention and they have always taken it deadly serious. It's us wierd Americans (and Aussies, Canucks, and Brits and probably almost everyone else on earth) that look upon karaoke as an opportunity to embarass ourselves and laugh at each other singing off-key as part of an evening of drunken frivolity.

I guess an analogous situation would be if we discovered American intramural football leagues really caught on in Japan - except all the participants drink lots of sake and dress up in Ronald McDonald costumes and only loosely follow the rules. Not right not wrong just really really different!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've never been to a karaoke bar. I don't understand it, I have no interest in it, and, besides, no one should be subjected to my singing...it would probably fit the definition of "cruel and unusual punishment".

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I guess an analogous situation would be if we discovered American intramural football leagues really caught on in Japan - except all the participants drink lots of sake and dress up in Ronald McDonald costumes and only loosely follow the rules. Not right not wrong just really really different!
    That would be awesome.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    That would be awesome.
    I agree, but our views stand as proof positive that we Americans have neither dignity nor shame!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I probably would be a karaoke hero. I'm just a serious guy in general...I take everything seriously.

I'm almost 21, and I've always wanted to karaoke, so I may do it in the coming months. We'll see. I know I have the rock 'n' roll stage moves down pat, but I think my voice may be a bit too deep for some songs. With the right song though, I'm sure I could definitely be a karaoke hero.

By the way, I don't think Billy Joel would really be that hard to do. He's got a deep voice and doesn't sing that high too often.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I've done karaoke for about 3 1/2 years now (but I have never taken myself seriously). The best songs are when the CD skips or I'm just wasted I will sing pretty much anything from pop to rap to alternative to country (country music is corny but the lyrics to alot of songs are hillarious). The shortest song was a 1 minute duet singing the Muppet Show theme and the longest was Alice's Restaurant (which runs about 20 minutes in length and isn't really much of a song to begin with).

Once in a blue moon, there might be a contest where we are given a really obscure song to sing that no one knows the words to, and then we have to sing it (usually get the hang of it with the refrains). Never took a voice lesson in my life, but I think my voice has improved over the past few years.

There are too many songs that I would like to sing, but they don't have the computer files for. I downloaded a free karaoke file maker but it's really difficult to create the music and takes too much time. I have other stuff to do.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    There is Karaoke at my local every Saturday night... i have been known to butcher many songs whilst under the influence. Actually they encourage random people with no talent to sing- there is a cash prize, but its a lucky dip one, and everyone who sings gets a spin of the wheel to win a prize after they sing. Thats the way Karaoke should be!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2005
    I think most people that enjoy karaoke are attention-seekers.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've only seen karaoke live once, at a Filipino dinner party my son and I attended. Family friendly, no booze, darn it. I have no clue why it's so popular. I can't sing; I know it: I mouth the words if I'm in a situation where people expect me to sing as part of a group (like Happy Birthday to my own child...). I'm that bad.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I had never heard of anyone doing karaoke sober until the Mormon planner in my office told me he went to a karaoke bar to sing.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My high school buddies and I were hooked on karaoke when we were 16/17. We couldn't drink, obviously, but it was nice knowing that all the grown-ups watching us were hammered. We rarely sang solo (except for my friend, who took in way too seriously, entered competitions and all that jazz). And we'd get people up and dancing, usually to something 80s new wave (like "You Spin Me" by Dead or Alive) or cheesy rap (like "Bust A Move" by Young MC).

My husband is a complete introvert, but get a few drinks in him, and he becomes a karaoke star. Soon after we met I got to see him sing Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song", and it actually wasn't silly at all, even with the yelling at the beginning. He's gotten people up and slow dancing to his singing. But, we haven't gone to a karaoke bar in years .

Man, now I'm itching for a karaoke night out!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I enjoy it, but indulge rarely (rather get paid singing backup with the band).

I did a lot of karaoke when I was in China on an AICP-sponsored trip to help a village (250,000) with some planning issues.

It was the only way to stay away from the host-offered ladies.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. *taps mic* Karaoke songs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Aug 2012, 3:26 PM
  2. Do You Have Any Heroes?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 30 Aug 2011, 9:02 AM
  3. Karaoke in Deutschland
    Friday Afternoon Club