Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ranking of European schools of planning

Registered
    Mar 2007

Ranking of European schools of planning

Hello, I am taking my degree in Urban Regional Planning in Greece and I am considering on a MsC in Europe in Urban Planning.
    I know that Planetizen publishes a ranking of Planning Schools in USA but is there any ranking for European Schools?
    I am considering about going Netherlands or Italy does anyone have to make any proposal?
    If its a problem and it may considered as an advertisment i will give my email so to send me private some proposals about best planning schools for MsC in Europe

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    I'm interested in possible European rankings as well. Would be much appreciated.

For the Netherlands I am aware of TU Delft's planning programme, but am not sure if you need to be able to speak Dutch before you can study (as is with most non-English speaking European universities).

Registered
    Mar 2007

I think

that TU Delft planning program is in english.
    I heard that in Times Ranking for Best Engineering Universities the TU Delft is 5th in Europe bit i dont know nothing about his planning program.

Registered
    Mar 2007

So?

Does anyone have to make any proposals?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I can think of a couple of reasons for the lack of attention to this question. For one thing, although there are members here from all over the world, there's a definite preponderance of North Americans at least among the more active posters. So there may just not be that many people who read the site regularly who know enough about European schools to answer.

Also, the community here is generally skeptical about rankings of schools in general, and if you look through the archives you'll see that the Planetizen rankings aren't taken very seriously. The general consensus is that rankings and reputation don't matter much for planning schools, and that more practical considerations like cost and location are more important.

Registered
    Mar 2007

ok forget about the ranking

if someone has to make some proposals about very good planning programs in europe he can send me at alex2003 (at) mail.gr
    Thanks

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for your question. I myself have looked into that as well. So far I found Cambridge's land economy and Reading's town/urban planning among the top choices which also include UCL at London. Would you happen to have another language in addition to English? In terms of value-for-money, I think Germany would be a good choice. One may do a degree in pubic policy (MPP) or an MPA (Public Administration) with a focus in urban policy or planning law, provided that you already have a background in the area. LSE for policy should be a good one as well.

Just brainstorming, my friend. Hope to hear from you!

I am looking at masters in planning in Ontario, Canada.

All the best!!

Flex

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Would concur with flexicitus about his advice, particularly abt German unis.

Specific to UK, I've checked that the Times has ranked some of the top urban planning schools are (in no order)

UCL Bartlett
    Cardiff
    Oxford Brookes
    Cambridge Land Economy
    Sheffield

I guess it really depends on what area of planning you're interested in.

Registered
    Mar 2007

thanks

From my research up to now I agree with the planning programs that you said in UK but I think that the cost is very high. In the teaching prizes of 2007 of AESOP the Iuav of Venezia had the first position.
    I would rather going in a country like Netherlands ( Delft, Groningenn, Njimegen) or Italy ( iuav , Polytchnico Milano) because of the lower price and the best life for a student in addition with UK. But i dont know what program will be the best choice. Thanks for your help

P.S From a professor of my planning school in Greece I know that the German Universities are not very keen on English-Programs

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have to agree with that @ German Universities and English language teaching.

I am from Germany... and I am studying at a Technical University (even though urban planning is only my second minor). And I am working at an Academic Counseling Center... so I can at least agree with the problems most international students have - that German Universities require German language skills.

I don't know - of the top of my head - a MSc program in Urban Planning. I know that in Berlin, Germany they have a couple of Masters Degrees in Urban Studies which are quite good. And considering the "living costs" are (compared to the UK) way lower, and there aren't that high tuitions either... it might be an idea to look up some universities in Germany.

Have a look at this homepage

http://www.hochschulkompass.de/

it is available in English, too.

I hope I could help you... if you have more questions... send me a message.

Claudia

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally posted by alex_greece View post
    Hello, I am taking my degree in Urban Regional Planning in Greece and I am considering on a MsC in Europe in Urban Planning.
    I know that Planetizen publishes a ranking of Planning Schools in USA but is there any ranking for European Schools?
    I am considering about going Netherlands or Italy does anyone have to make any proposal?
    If its a problem and it may considered as an advertisment i will give my email so to send me private some proposals about best planning schools for MsC in Europe
    Hi Alex!
    Even though this message arrives late, I think you should also take a look at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam, which offers two kind of urban management and planning master program: i) Master on Urban Management focused on european issues, ii) Master on Urban Management focused on developing countries at the Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies IHS www.ihs.nl

Registered
    Mar 2011

Good urban planning schools in Europe

Holland, the dutch in general have high knowledge within the field:
    http://www.eur.nl/english/ i Rotterdam
    (Maybe the planning capital of the world? So why not go to school there as well)
    TUdelft should otherwise be great from what I've heard

BTH in Sweden, is the only planning school in Sweden is great if you are interested in a general knowledge and ideas about a sustainable future:
    They have masters in english with focus on europe (mainly non swedish students, the education have previously been free, don't know how it is now) They also have a program in cooperation with education in china, don't know so much about it, but i put some info.
    http://edu.bth.se/utbildning/utb_pro...AUD11h&lang=en
    http://edu.bth.se/utbildning/utb_pro...AES11h&lang=en

There is also some city planning courses at KTH in Sweden that can be interesting, but the focus is different since it is on the school of architecture that in Sweden is sepatated from city planning.

Hafen City in Hamburg Germany is very internationaly focused, may be harder if you don't speak german, the classes are in german but presentations may be held in english. Many students from France and Spain do not speak german. As I understand the Hamburg school and Berlin school of planning are kind of competing about claiming to be the best. Duisburg and Bauhaus are also two options from what I know less interesting, but maybe worth to check out. Each planningschool in germany have different focuses so if you wish something special, the schools here might be the way for you.

http://www.polimi.it/ in Milano is good but may have a strong matematical focus from what I understand.

The school in Barcelona is very good as I have heard, interesting city if not other. There could be a problem with speaking spanish and catalan though.

The architecture schools in Copenhagen and Århus might be interesting if you wish a focus on art and arcitecture. From what I've heard the quality of the studies at Århus are high and students have to put a lot of effort into their studies. Denmark is otherwise a country where the government puts a lot of energy into the field of planning and architecture so I think the environment could be interesting.

Leauven in Belgium is said to be exelent even countries like France and Belgium might have a more elitistic approach on education. Meaning more focus on knowledge and grades and less focus on collaboration and the real world.

In France they have their strange system where "grand ecoles" are considered better than universities. The architecture schools named grand ecoles are therefor said to be the best. It might be hard without knowledge in french. And if not in the school it will def be hard for a normal life. The language barriare is interesting though since it kind of protects the ideas of France and separates the ideas in france from the rest of europe. They might be very visionary and filosofical in their points of view. They also have planning schools but as I have understood, it is better to study architecture to get this knowledge in france.

Yes I have also heard about the school in Warsawa. I heard it was interesting.

Maybe the architecture school of Oslo could be interesting.

Bartlett in England is said to be good. The one in manchester as well even though it is said to be more theoretical than practical.

For summerclasses check out Riga http://www.rtu.lv/en/ They had some courses before

here is another link: http://www.arh.bg.ac.rs/code/navigate.asp?Id=2381

European Schools

I am also interested in this topic. Are any of the above mentioned schools particularly strong from an 'urban geography' point of view? Particularly networks and systems. Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2011

my two cents.

Some schools to definitely check if you are looking in Europe.

UCL
    Cardiff
    Manchester
    Sheffiield

Specifically for transport
    Imperial
    ITS, Leeds
    Newcastle
    MSc TIL at TU Delft

Old link but should help:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...-town-planning

This is a recent one

There is a UK-focussed student forum called "The Student Room". Check there too.

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Manchester (UK)
    Weimar (Germany)
    Middle East Technical University (METU/ODTU - Turkey)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Mar 2012, 2:02 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 1:30 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Jul 2006, 11:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 1998, 7:12 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Jun 1997, 4:36 AM