Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where should I go?

Registered
    Mar 2008

Where should I go?

I am planning to get my master in Urban Planning starting this fall.

I applied to 9 schools, and just got admissions from 8 of them. Honestly speaking I didn't do an extensive research on these schools and their individual programs(just picked 9 good ranking schools). Because of that I am rather confused about where I should go.

I guess I desperately need help... Here are the schools and the financial aid they are offering, could someone please give me some guidance

Columbia - no financial aid
    U Michigan - scholarship for 1 1/2 semesters' tuition
    UCLA - no financial aid
    Cornell - 1 semester's tuition
    U of Washington - 1 1/2 semesters' tuition
    NYU - no financial aid
    USC - scholarship for full tuition (2 years)
    U Penn - no financial aid

By the way, I plan to work in the public sector upon graudation, preferrably staying in Los Angeles or at least California. I also applied to UC Berkeley and am still waiting for the decision.

Please someone help me!!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Not meant to be offensive, but I'm curious as to why you'd spend so much time and money applying to these programs without researching them beforehand...and how the hell did you get in? lol. I spent hours reading professors publications to make sure their research aligned with my interests...but whatever .

I would go with money, that eliminates some options and hopefully eases the decision process for you. Congrats on all of the admissions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Congratulations on so many admissions to some of the best schools. You're definatly going to need to do research. Instead of studying for my current undergrad classes, I generally spent most of my time researching programs and finding the one that fits me the best. Unfortunately, were not going to be able to help you because you need to decide for yourself. Would you rather live in Michigan? Southern Cal? NY? Your more than likely going to find a job where you go to school.
    After that, narrow your list down and visit the ones that appeal to you most.

Terrell Pryor, the top rated high school football recruit for college finally decided to go to Ohio State today. Go BUCKS..but to get to the point, he visited Ohio State and said that he felt welcomed there and fit right in, even though the team doesn't really play his style of offense. He did his research on schools for quite a while...even past the deadline...and when the programs came neck and neck, he chose where he was comfortable..DO SOME RESEARCH AND GO VISIT SOME SCHOOLS!

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Damn man, congrats, first of all. I'd go with USC. Highly ranked, you'd stay in LA, good faculty, full tuition...

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by welnancy1984 View post
    I am planning to get my master in Urban Planning starting this fall.

I applied to 9 schools, and just got admissions from 8 of them. Honestly speaking I didn't do an extensive research on these schools and their individual programs(just picked 9 good ranking schools). Because of that I am rather confused about where I should go.

I guess I desperately need help... Here are the schools and the financial aid they are offering, could someone please give me some guidance

Columbia - no financial aid
    U Michigan - scholarship for 1 1/2 semesters' tuition
    UCLA - no financial aid
    Cornell - 1 semester's tuition
    U of Washington - 1 1/2 semesters' tuition
    NYU - no financial aid
    USC - scholarship for full tuition (2 years)
    U Penn - no financial aid

By the way, I plan to work in the public sector upon graudation, preferrably staying in Los Angeles or at least California. I also applied to UC Berkeley and am still waiting for the decision.

Please someone help me!!!!
    If you want to work in LA / California, unless Berkeley comes back with a sweet financial package (and admission of course!) you would be a fool not to take up USC's offer. Good on you for all the acceptances, it's not easy!
    "Try to be in two incredibly successful bands. If not, that's okay." -- Words to live by, courtesy of Dave Grohl

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    If you want to work in California, it might be worth it to stick with UCLA or USC. I've heard many times that odds of getting government jobs in CA are heavily against people who didn't graduate from CA schools.

I would also caution against UPenn. Graduates from their strongest specialty, urban design, mostly end up in the private sector. Something to keep in mind if you want to work in the public sector.

Good luck making a decision!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    No brainer.

USC offered you full funding. You want to stay in southern California. Go to USC.

I may be a Penn graduate, but it isn't worth shelling out the full tuition if it requires borrowing money, especially when you have a full funding offer on the table.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Full tuition paid = sweet deal. Partial tuition = good deal. No tuition paid = go in-state. From personal experience, loan repayment sucks. Even if you don't have financial aid, make sure you minimize your required loans.

+ Reply to thread