Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public participation GIS

Registered
    Oct 2007

Public participation GIS

I'm looking for examples of Public Participation GIS (PPGIS) in use in the planning context.

Anyone out there familiar with it being used anywhere?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

PPGIS

There's even a forum for it, and much more.... look at www. ppgis. net/ for a lot of links, including bibliographies, cases, and more... (the url has been deliberately tweaked here with blank spaces.)

One basic question is what you want to do with it? that is, how interactive do you want it to be? It's straightforward to show maps, even maps with different combinations of layers. Link cadastral maps with zoning regulations, etc.

The next level is getting planning proposal up and inviting comments. But I think it is another thing again to get interaction and participation at the level of inviting people to modify the drawings themselves. Technically its possible, but then you need to know how you're going to cope with the results. Lets say you are very successful and get 250 drawings of different quality on a detailed plan... how are you going to deal with those 250 drawings? Then move up to 25000.

Another issue is dealing with your target. If your interface is truly open, you can get comments from the whole world. Is that what you want? If you want to restrict it to residents of a geographical area, then you need additional means to do so.

Search the web for Public Participation GIS and you'll get about 7500 hits (some of them duplicates or sub-pages).

It's an exciting field. Go for it.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the site Monamogolo! I'm volunteering in my local neighborhood planning office now and we are just starting on our way towards a PPGIS. Right now, we're just digitizing area land use plan maps together on a map of the city, but I think eventually, we'd like people in those communities to give more feedback on the web. I don't think there's a real issue with vandalism on the site, so there's not much pressure to limit the participants, but we want to educate people on the basics of planning as well, so that they are more aware of how things are done once they get to the city stage. Also, we want to make it as user friendly as possible. It sounds like you have some experience on the subject. Any first hand advice?

Thanks!

D/M
    It's the suede and denim secret police
    They've come for your uncool niece!

Fixmystreet.com

You might also be interested in this: www.fixmystreet.com

It's based on google maps, and allows UK residents to report problems with the street environment. It then automatically sends a message to the relevant local authority.

(it's created by www.mysociety.org, which has been involved with several interesting planning-related websites)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Aug 2007, 2:14 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 10:09 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 06 Dec 2006, 11:25 AM
  4. Stimulating public participation?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 10:28 AM