Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NIU Shooting Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005

NIU Shooting Thread

Apparently there has been a serious shooting at Northern Illinois University.

Doesn't Illinoisplanner go there? Check in IP

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    Apparently there has been a serious shooting at Northern Illinois University.

Doesn't Illinoisplanner go there? Check in IP
    Yeah, I go there. I'm OK. I wasn't feeling too well today so I decided not to go to my only class this afternoon. Good thing too. I got a call from my roommate around 3:15 to come pick him up from class and that a shooting had occurred. I picked him up at 3:25 and we got the hell out of there. There were police cars and ambulances from all over the place. The shooting occurred only 20 minutes before I picked my roommate up.

Apparently the shooting occurred at a large lecture hall where I have had several classes in the past. The gunman is dead and 17 people are injured. It's just fu**ed up to see and hear ambulances zoom by outside your window and then see them live on TV, and to see multi-hour coverage on all the local (and national) TV stations of the buildings and people you see everyday. So far, everyone I know is OK, but really, I don't know anymore than all of you know. I'm getting my information by simply word-of-mouth and the media.

There were threats of a shooting back in December, but as of now, it doesn't look like this is related.

I'm going home for the weekend now.

I just saw the Chicago Tribune, and I guess 5 are now dead. This is unbelievable.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 15 Feb 2008 at 8:26 AM. Reason: sequential replies
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Good to here your OK, IP. It is a messed up world sometimes.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I almost went there, my daughter almost went there, I am sick to my stomach thinking about it. Glad you're OK, IP

Glad your ok IP. Between that and that waste of space that was shooting up the shopping centers.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Thanks everyone.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Good to hear you are okay. To many sicko's in todays world.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Good to see you, IP
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Glad you OK buddy. I immediately thought of you and was trying to remember if you were a husky or saluki.

I'd really like to know how people like this guy tick and then go apeshit on a shooting rampage.

Best wishes to you and your friends up there in dealing with all of the emotions that come with an event like this.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 15 Feb 2008 at 12:41 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    Your well being was the first thing I thought about when I heard about the shooting. Glad to hear you’re okay. Stay safe and aware of your surroundings. My thoughts go out to all the families of NUI.

Bill

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I taught some large auditorium, freshman earth science sections, when I was a grad teaching assistant and fellow. Just too easy to visualize the carnage.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I commented to my wife that now I understand how all the Virginia Tech alumni feel. Knowing that hall inside and out, I hate visualizing how it played out.

Prayers to the families of all those affected by this tragedy.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Thanks again everyone.

Well, today was the first day of classes since the shooting...they had a counselor in every classroom. Although, so far, it seems everybody is back to normal.

I attended a memorial service last night at the Convo Center (our basketball arena), which was very moving. It was a packed house, but you could hear a pin drop, it was so quiet in there. And in spite of my politics, I thought our Democratic senior senator and governor did a great job, and I thought it was also very commendable that Obama attended but chose not to speak.

They also had numerous vigils over the past week, along with multiple makeshift memorials set up all across campus. They also set up boards that everybody could sign and write messages on.

It felt good to be back in class today. The campus was so desolate and deserted this past week. It's good to see it filled with people once again.

And finally, I must say that the outpouring of support that the community, state, and entire nation and world has shown is truly remarkable.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Well, it's one year later now. The one thing I've noticed is how much closer and tight-knit our university seems since this has happened. The other thing that has changed is my outlook on life. Such as spending time with friends and family being more important to me than schoolwork. Yes, it may be a bad attitude to have, but at the end of the day, is it really going to matter what grades you got, or the people in your life and how much time you spent with them?

Also, people often ask me has anything changed at NIU in regards to security and all that. I would say no. When in a large classroom, I still worry that someone could come in and shoot the place up. I often sit by the door so that if someone were to do that again, I could maybe try and stop them.

As for Cole Hall, it still remains there and it is still closed. I walk by there everyday. Sometimes I think about it when I walk by, but it's usually just a quick thought that passes after I walk by. According to campus consensus, people want the building preserved and re-habbed. I believe it will be converted into a mix of learning space and a museum/memorial. In addition, I think a new building is supposed to be constructed to make up for lost space. However none of this has happened because we never got a capital projects bill with Governor Blago. Now that he's finally gone, maybe we'll see something. Also, unlike VA Tech, we still don't have any permanent memorial yet.

This week I made a bunch of ribbons for a Saturday memorial service. The crisis response dogs returned this week and visited us as we made ribbons. Yesterday, our student newspaper released a special edition (http://www.northernstar.info/) and 5 minutes of silence (one for each victim) was held at 3:05 outside Cole Hall. 500 red and black balloons were released as well. You have to remember that the incident occurred on a Thursday, hence all the activities that occurred yesterday.

On Saturday, February 14, they are having a morning memorial service at the Convocation Center which I will be attending. In addition, a variety of activites are slated to occur throughout the day, including art exhibits, a memorial concert, displays of photographs, the laying of wreaths outside Cole Hall at 3pm, a reception honoring first responders, and an evening candlelight vigil.

Also, I just wanted to thank everyone here again for thinking about me and my university when this happened. It really means a lot.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    This evening, I went to a candlelight vigil for the 2nd anniversary of the NIU shooting.

This year, the activities were more limited and subdued. The vigil was fairly simple. It was held in our Martin Luther King Commons area. Our university president Dr. Peters said a few words in honor of each of the victims and what their lives represented and how we can all be inspired in how each of them led their lives. Church bells then tolled for each of the victims and a moment of silence was held. In the end, all of us students, without direction, lifted our candles up in solidarity. An earlier service was held at 3pm, in which wreaths were placed at the new memorial.

Work was finally completed on the memorial. It is very beautiful. It features five red granite walls, one for each victim, with their name. The walls also read "Forward, Together, Forward, Together, Forward", after our university's motto, "Forward Together Foward", which was also used as the motto in helping our campus heal. There are also five black benches, one for each wall, and a sculpture entitled "Remembered", which reaches up towards the sky. Trees and other shrubbery are also part of the site. The memorial is on the banks of a creek and faces Cole Hall, where the shooting happened. The memorial was entirely financed with private funds and was completed this past fall.

Additionally, Illinois' new governor Pat Quinn recently released funds as part of a statewide capital projects bill to rehab Cole Hall, based on a plan agreed upon by the NIU community. The plan will update the 70s-era facility. The auditorium where the shooting happened will be completely re-done, and broken into several different educational and non-educational space, no longer resembling an auditorium-like space, while the other auditorium will remain an auditorium but will be updated nonetheless. To make up for lost classroom space where the shooting happened, a nearby building will be expanded. Work on Cole Hall is expected to start in summer 2010 and hopefully be finished in 2011. Since the shooting, Cole Hall has been closed.

I still think of that day a lot. My GF went with me today, and I walked her around, talked about all the classes I had in Cole Hall, where I picked up my roommate when the shooting happened, where the ambulances lined up, where some of the victims sought refuge at the time. It brings back a lot of emotions, but it is important to remember. I thought Dr. Peters did a great job at explaining how we can learn a lot about life through how exemplary the victims led theirs' and how it is important that our university community move forward.

We are doing better. We still remember, and we are still scarred, but we continue to move forward.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The report on the Feb. 14 shooting was finally released yesterday. It is a 300 page document that includes the report from the police investigation, a detailed summary into how all parts of the university responded, an investigation into the shooter and his background and a hypothesis for why he may have done this, a report from the U.S. Fire Administration, a report from the Governor's office including letters signed by Gov. Rod Blagojevich and Atty General Lisa Madigan, memorial pages for each victim, excerpts from a book co-authored by the Student Affairs leaders of NIU and VA Tech, a bunch of policies adopted before and after the shooting, a detailed timeline including every police radio transmission that occurred during the first hour, amongst other things.

I recall Burb Fixer wanted to know how guys like this tick. This is probably as close as we're going to get to figuring that out, but we don't know for sure.

But for those that are just interested in general, here is the link: http://www.niu.edu/feb14report/. You then have to click the icon that says PDF download.

As our University President, Dr. Peters, remarked, this is final closure for the public aspect of the shooting. Information will still likely come in over the years, and the university will continue to heal, but this is all the information that has been collected to date in a public report.
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How bad am I shooting myself in the foot?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 03 Jul 2012, 6:07 AM
  2. A shooting in my town!
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Nov 2003, 1:30 AM
  3. Shooting range dilemma
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Jun 2001, 5:09 PM
  4. Shooting ranges