Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 NASCAR Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Jun 2007

2008 NASCAR Trash Talk Thread

Despite my searching the threads that mention NASCAR on Cyburbia, I want to see how this thread would fly. To those of you who dislike NASCAR because you think it's boring watching a bunch of cars turn left and/or it takes no talent, I think you greatly underestimate the strategy and physics involved in racing identically-aerodynamic cars around a short, relatively controlled track, and I strongly encourage you to watch a race and actually pay attention at least once. The slightest imperfection in vehicle maintenance and preparation can lose a race, even take you out. NASCAR drivers have to be incredibly in tune with the minute details of how their car is operating, in addition to understanding the various drafting and drifting aerodynamics associated with a set course. Plus, if you go to a race, it's about the greatest tailgate party ever.

That being said, let the trash begin:

I hope Tony Stewart kicks ace and Toyotas work for him.
    Hendricks blows. (Apologies to rabid Dale Jr. fans)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm a casual NASCAR watcher - I like to watch the races, but I don't root for any particular driver. My three nephews are really into it, though - the oldest likes Tony Stewart, the middle one is a Matt Kenseth fan, and the youngest is into Jeff Gordon (he doesn't know better ). I'm more of a follower of IRL and F-1...

I could easily start rooting for Dario Franchitti, though, simply because of the Ashley Judd factor.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Nuff said.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT-boringnascar-gallery-6.jpeg  

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Any thoughts on the open-wheelies in the Good ol' Boys' Circuit™ this season (Montoya, Villeneuve, Franchitti)? I thought that Montoya made several good on-the-track statements last season and I fully expect him to do very well this year.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2006
    My trash talk is that "this is rednecks goin around in circles".
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Any thoughts on the open-wheelies in the Good ol' Boys' Circuit™ this season (Montoya, Villeneuve, Franchitti)? I thought that Montoya made several good on-the-track statements last season and I fully expect him to do very well this year.

Mike
    Montoya has the makings of an excellent NASCAR driver - he just needs to focus his agressive driving a little better and stop running into folks. The rest of the open wheelers (with maybe one exception) had a rough week at Daytona - could be a long year for all of them.

I wish that IRL and Champ Car could get it together, merge, and lure back the defectors...but it ain't going to happen.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm particularly a big fan of team Shake & Bake, AKA Ricky Bobby and Cal Naughton Jr.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Hey, you left the P out

I do believe it's spelled

NASCRAP

[big corp employer sponsors a car...office full of logos & photos...OCD guy hosts a shrine to #3...]

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Montoya has the makings of an excellent NASCAR driver - he just needs to focus his agressive driving a little better and stop running into folks.
    I agree. That highlights the different skills needed in NASCAR that you don't get in the open-wheeled/road courses. All you have to do is look at how Montoya schooled everyone on the road courses last year. It's his element. He'll adjust quickly, though. I'll give him 5-6 years before he's in the top 5 at the end of the season, 10 years before he's either Cup champion or runner-up.
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 15 Feb 2008 at 5:00 PM. Reason: Irrelevent (and irreverent) information

Registered
    Dec 2003
    OK, how's this for trash talk:
    Future generations will watch in amazement to see grown men paid ridiculous sums of money for driving around in circles as they just burn up a nearly vanished fossil fuel for others' amusement. They curse the very nature of a culture that allowed this to happen and left so little for them. They wonder how a society could so completely fail at planning for its future as they gaze upon the now-useless gasoline powered vehicles rusting in junkyards.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Nothing substantial to say against it, I see. Just ignorant personal preferences and misinformation.

Keep in mind that this IS a trash talk thread.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    Keep in mind that this IS a trash talk thread.
    I thought your post was in good taste, P! (And funny)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I agree. That highlights the different skills needed in NASCAR that you don't get in the open-wheeled/road courses. All you have to do is look at how Montoya schooled everyone on the road courses last year. It's his element. He'll adjust quickly, though. I'll give him 5-6 years before he's in the top 5 at the end of the season, 10 years before he's either Cup champion or runner-up.
    Montoya also did exceedingly well at Martinsville, the shortest track on the circuit. Last year one of the TV guys did say that its two very sharp flat turns and long straights are pure road-course in their design - and perfect for him. He was also running top-ten during much of the first Daytona qualifying heat yesterday.

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I guess I'm not understanding how driving a car can be considered to be a sport (i.e. athletic endeavor).

In contrast...
    http://www.letour.fr/2008/TDF/COURSE...tour_2008.html
    Longest stage is 230 km, or 142 miles.
    In
    One
    Day

That's as far as the distance from my house to where my father lives (in a suburb of Detroit), a two-hour highway drive.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/dre0577l.jpg

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Lead Ballon warning.

May I start a thread to see how this will go until it gets shut down?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Can't this thread just be similar in nature to the MLB/NFL/Fantasy leagues threads without people completely dissing a form of entertainment that several people enjoy and find sporting? You don't like NASCAR. That's great. Don't post. Or have fun with it and don't make it difficult for people to show their fanhood for things, because I know I'm not the only NASCAR fan on this thread. Thanks.

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I guess I'm not understanding how driving a car can be considered to be a sport (i.e. athletic endeavor).
    I'm no big fan of NASCAR, IRL, or F-1, but I once listened to radio djs (Bob and Tom) in Indy as a driver took them for a test drive around the Speedway. At 125MPH the DJs were screaming a primal scream of abject fear. Try that with 42 other cars, all going 50+ mph faster, for 500 miles and then tell me it's not a sport.

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Lead Ballon warning.

May I start a thread to see how this will go until it gets shut down?
    Uh, No, Z. Don't do that.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Uh, No, Z. Don't do that.
    You got it, Dude. I will leave this subject alone.

After I add this:

Restrictor Plates

That's all I remember, something about restrictor plates
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I only know two things related to NASCAR:

Nobody from central FL goes anywhere near Daytona when the races are going on, unless they have tickets.

A fellow Cyburbian, who I won't name, claims it is almost orgasmic to walk down to the guardrail and feel the vibrations as the cars blast by. Honest. See, this one thing alone could interest more women in attending NASCAR events.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I used to be a big NASCAR fan. Attended several races per year in Bristol. Charlotte. Indy, and Daytona. I could name all the drivers, teams, fueds, who did good at what tracks, ect.

Then I got married

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I got married and then I was exposed to NASCAR.
    My husband watches all the time and he knows all the details. The girls and I watch mostly because it is on.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Been to a race - NOT ! What a waste of time !
    Desire to go to a race - NOT ! What a waste of money !
    Watching a race on TV - NOT ! What a waste of time !
    Collect/display anything related to it - NOT! What a waste of money !
    Decals/stickers on my car - NOT ! What a waste of money !
    Hats or jackets with anything related to it - NOT ! What a waste of money !

Any other way to say I don't like it ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Any other way to say I don't like it ?
    Sure. Reiterate your opposition to Wal-Mart because they always have NASCAR promotional items in big bins in the middle of the aisles. Like Dale Earnhart boxers.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Sure. Reiterate your opposition to Wal-Mart because they always have NASCAR promotional items in big bins in the middle of the aisles. Like Dale Earnhart boxers.
    So the tin of NASCART Dale chocolates I was going to get you at CVS yesterday would not have gone over so well?
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hey, if you don't like it, don't watch it and don't tell those whom do like it all about your dislike.

I'm not very crazy about figure skating, but then again I don't dwell on it.

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 147
    Last post: 30 Dec 2008, 3:36 PM
  2. 2008 South Trash Talk Thread
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 85
    Last post: 29 Dec 2008, 1:36 PM
  3. 2008-2009 NBA Trash Talk Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club