Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NASCAR Trash Talk Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Spoke to my brother tonite. We're gonna try to ruslte up some tickets to Bristol for old time sake. Gonna have to study up on the drivers and pick a favorite. I don't think Sterling Marlin is still racing is he?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    Spoke to my brother tonite. We're gonna try to ruslte up some tickets to Bristol for old time sake. Gonna have to study up on the drivers and pick a favorite. I don't think Sterling Marlin is still racing is he?
    According to NASCAR, he is on their current list of licensed drivers

http://www.nascar.com/drivers/list/cup/dps/#cnnsort
    (click on 'Driver Table')

but did not qualify for Sunday's race at Daytona.

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2008...p.html#cnnsort

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

What's with the sunglasses?

Besides the, um, decorations at my workplace, the closest I get to the subject is the Sunday newspaper coupons. Recently there was one (forget the product) showing several drivers (people wearing logo-ed jumpsuits). In the back was a dude in sunglasses.

Clearly this was an interior photo, so there was no bright sunlight in the room.

It's dawned on me that I've seen that fellow more than once, and always in the sunglasses. Is he just shy? Blind? (Sortof obviates the driver career, though.)

I know who Hank Williams Jr is and why he wears sunglasses, and paid attention when the paper ran a pic of him without them (legal matter, had to take them off). Why does this car dud --whoops, I mean dude -- always freakin' wear sunglasses?

[always seeking enlightenment]

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    That being said, let the trash begin:

I hope Tony Stewart kicks ace and Toyotas work for him.
    Stewart should've stayed high - he had the race won...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Yippee.

I guess whazzis-face representing my corporate employer won whatever it was.

Sunglasses!Dude appeared on the cover of one of my Sunday newspaper magazines.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Working where I do requiers some parting knowledge (so i watch ESPN and know who won the race - and thats about it).

There was a joke several years ago that was the way rednecks count:

Wallace
    Earnhardt
    Ervin

the names have changed now, but the joke can still work...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    Yes, I think we all get it now that NASCAR is a sport often associated with all things redneck and that may not be to everyone's taste. Further, it is recognized that this is a 'trash talk' thread, BUT even so, it's really not the intent of trash talk threads to dis the sport itself - usually the folks posting are enthusiasts of the sport and are rooting for a particular team/player and are dissing the teams they want to see beat. Posters, for instance, on the football and baseball trash talk threads would find it got pretty old pretty fast if every other post was "Man baseball sucks", "Man, football is so lame and such a waste of time".

So with that let's leave the NASCAR thread to racing enthusiasts so they can read remarks about racing without having to sift through so much editorial. Thanks.

I remember years back reading about drivers and their teams playing games with the rules at Indy racing. One rule, for instance, was that you were permitted only so many gallons for fuel tanks. The rule lawyers figured out that didn't apply to the fuel lines so some drivers added yards and yards of fuel lines just to get a hair more capacity.....do we see stuff like that going on in NASCAR?
    Last edited by Maister; 18 Feb 2008 at 5:12 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I watched more than usual yesterday (due to the latest blizzard) - - the last 10 laps were fantastic!!!! I love NASCAR! and will be sure to tune again next February.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I am not a big NASCAR fan but I have been to some of the races with my friend who gets me in for free. I have a very hard time taking things seriously and end up making an ass of myself. My lack of reverence for drivers and anything else in the pit area earns me tons of dirty looks when I go to the races. It might have been the wonderbread t-shirt. That being said, there is something infectious about the atmosphere there. Going to a race in person is well worth it in my book, especially if you can get into the pit area.

I have more fun exploring the area where the driver's motor coaches are parked.I got to meet Richard Petty while tooling around in there, that was pretty cool since he is 'da man in NASCAR.

Can't remember if I posted these pics in an earlier NASCAR discussion or not. This was at last year's Atlanta race. It was really really really crowded. Just gives you an idea of what the pit area is like.

Yes, I just had to get him to autograph my hot pass.

BTW- I can't stand Jeff Gordon. I guess my favorite driver would be good ole' junior. He seemed to be really nice and down to earth.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I remember years back reading about drivers and their teams playing games with the rules at Indy racing. One rule, for instance, was that you were permitted only so many gallons for fuel tanks. The rule lawyers figured out that didn't apply to the fuel lines so some drivers added yards and yards of fuel lines just to get a hair more capacity.....do we see stuff like that going on in NASCAR?
    Not so much - NASCAR is pretty fanatical about inspecting cars and penalizing teams that try and stretch the rules. They impound cars and suspend crew chiefs for what might seem like minor infractions.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Stewart should've stayed high - he had the race won...
    Yeah. I think if Kyle Busch had been a little more head into the game, they could've duked it out to a photo finish there at the end. Of course, Stewart and Kyle's mental chemistry wasn't near what it was Sunday as it was on Saturday for the NNS.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I was at the Daytona 500 this past weekend (pictures to come as soon as I DL them and size them). Great experience, it was about my 10th race.

Things I saw this past weekend (on the track I don't have time to comment on the fans I saw)
    -Kyle Petty please hang it up you are wasting a spot in the top 35 that some other drive could use.
    -Hornish Jr. looked pretty racy at the Duel and Sunday I see big things from him
    -One fan comment. Back in the day you could see every driver had at least a handful of fans. Not anymore, 80% of the fans root for Dale Jr., Gordon, Johnson, or Stewart. the other 20% root for the other 40 drivers.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Kyle Petty please hang it up you are wasting a spot in the top 35 that some other drive could use.
    Does he drive for is own team (Petty Enterprises?)? I can't imagine another owner wasting a car on him.

Hornish Jr. looked pretty racy at the Duel and Sunday I see big things from him
    He's proving he can run well in the pack. Franchitti has a long way to go...

Registered
    Jun 2007
    -One fan comment. Back in the day you could see every driver had at least a handful of fans. Not anymore, 80% of the fans root for Dale Jr., Gordon, Johnson, or Stewart. the other 20% root for the other 40 drivers.
    That's really kinda sad. I'm a fan of all the Joe Gibbs team, so I suppose I'll have to get some other gear to show more support.

Here's a question:

What was with all the hubbub around Keselowski on Saturday? Was ESPN just catering to all the Dale, Jr. fans because K's his protege?

Just wondering.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 19 Feb 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Bending the rules is as old as racing itself. Doing things like using aluminum or plastic for non-structural body parts instead of the specified steel (like for bumpers), etc, was common, normal and to be expected. It was always a 'cat and mouse' game between the shops and the techies.

Check out legendary Chief Wrench Henry "Smokey" Yunick, once quoted as saying "It's our job to cheat and it's your job to catch us":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Yunick

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Here's a question:

What was with all the hubbub around Keselowski on Saturday? Was ESPN just catering to all the Dale, Jr. fans because K's his protege?

Just wondering.
    I guess - I couldn't figure out any other reason for paying that much attention to him...

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I am very, very much into motorcyle roadracing and racing in general though I do not understand the nascar deal. Back in the day the racing was well a bit more interesting and the characters where way interesting.

As far as the racing goes the only NASCAR events I watch are the road courses at Watkins Glen and I believe they run sometimes at either Infinerion or Laguna.

If you want to watch oval racing watch sprint cars!
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Aug 2005
    They play with the rules, and NASCAR slaps them around:

Robby Gordon was docked 100 points and his crew chief was suspended for six races and fined $100,000 as NASCAR penalized 10 teams in its three different national series for infractions found at Daytona International Speedway.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. was one of seven drivers penalized for Nationwide Series infractions, and six crew chiefs were suspended. Todd Bodine, winner of the Truck Series race, and two crew chiefs were penalized.

The harshest penalty went to Gordon, who had an unapproved front bumper cover on his No. 7 Dodge during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500. The deduction of points drops him from ninth in the standings to 40th.

Frank Kerr, the crew chief, was fined $100,000 and is not eligible to return to the track until the April 12 race in Phoenix. Kerr was also placed on probation through the end of the year.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    They play with the rules, and NASCAR slaps them around:
    a hundred thousand dollar fine, suspension AND dropping his national ranking from 9th to 40th for an 'unapproved front bumper cover'? That sounds pretty harsh. I wonder how much or even if any competitive advantage would have been provided by having the unapproved front bumper cover?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Montreal in June anyone?

FORMULA ONE RACING ALL THE WAY, BABY!!!!!

none of this NASCAR stuff...blech

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Feel free to start a F-1 thread, LP.

Anyhoo...

...lousy racing weekend with all of the rain. Get 'em some tires with treads, man up, and run in the wet stuff.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Anyone watch the World Superbike Races this past sunday. Race one, Bayliss was unreal going off track and coming through the pack to win last corner.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    FORMULA ONE RACING ALL THE WAY, BABY!!!!!

none of this NASCAR stuff...blech
    I've often wondered what the difference is. Just seems like the auto racing principles and strategy would be pretty similar no matter what the 'style' of racing.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I've often wondered what the difference is. Just seems like the auto racing principles and strategy would be pretty similar no matter what the 'style' of racing.
    Mainly track set up. When you only go left, you set your car up so the car is easier to drive based on number of turns, length of straightaways, and banking angles.

Then add weather based corrections and environmental issues.

A short track is much different than a super raceway.

One reason restrictor plates were added for the super speedways is because the machines were starting to reach capabilities their human occupant couldn't. At a texas raceway a few years back, they had to cancel the race because a large number of drivers became ill from the effects of turning left so fast and so often there was blood pooling on one side of the body.

Afternoon races have effects like the track cooling as the sun sets, meaning you have to mechanically alter your car at pit stops as the race goes on to stay competitive. This sinks a lot of drivers.

Nomex suits are not cool if you are sitting in the shade at 90 degrees. No air conditioning in NASCAR, so you get the heat island effect from the pavement, your sitting in a performance vehicle with insane levels of engine heat, and you have to have hair trigger reflexes for 500 miles. Thats pretty impressive.

Not to mention that there is strategy.

GO #17!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    One reason restrictor plates were added for the super speedways is because the machines were starting to reach capabilities their human occupant couldn't. At a texas raceway a few years back, they had to cancel the race because a large number of drivers became ill from the effects of turning left so fast and so often there was blood pooling on one side of the body.
    I did not know that! Has anyone considered outfitting drivers with jet-pilot like compression suits to minimize the G's? Is that what a NOMEX suit is?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 147
    Last post: 30 Dec 2008, 2:36 PM
  2. 2008 South Trash Talk Thread
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 85
    Last post: 29 Dec 2008, 12:36 PM
  3. 2008-2009 NBA Trash Talk Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27