Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your role and the image of the administration

Registered
    Aug 2005

Your role and the image of the administration

For those of you in the public sector, do you feel it is part of your job to protect the image of your Administration?

A situation came up at a recent meeting where one person made the suggestion that it is our job to make sure a certain project works because otherwise it would look bad for the Mayor.

I'm not sure how I feel about that statement. I'm interested in your thoughts.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    For those of you in the public sector, do you feel it is part of your job to protect the image of your Administration?

A situation came up at a recent meeting where one person made the suggestion that it is our job to make sure a certain project works because otherwise it would look bad for the Mayor.

I'm not sure how I feel about that statement. I'm interested in your thoughts.
    For someone who left a situation where the administration's creedo was vastly different than staff's, I would say NO. It is not your job.

Your job is to uphold your zoning codes, comp plans, and other stuff. Let the administration stand with mud on their face.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2005
    AICP Code of Ethics:

The Planner's Responsibility to Client and Employer:
    A planner owes diligent, creative, independent, and competent preformance of work in pursuit of the client's or employer's interest. Such performance should be consistent with the planner's faithful service to the public interest.

The answer is yes and no - especially considering how far up the chain of command you are. Are you a Director of Community Development or the Planning and Zoning Manager? The higher up you are the more political your job becomes, thus the more connected to the political structure you are. A planning manager or director that does not assist elected officials, where possible and within the ethical code of conduct, will not be in her or his job very long.
    Satellite City Enabler

BANNED
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    Just remember who signs your paycheck before you think of getting all high and mighty. Especially if there are others that depend on your salary and benefits.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DMG View post
    Just remember who signs your paycheck before you think of getting all high and mighty. Especially if there are others that depend on your salary and benefits.

this has nothing to do with being high and mighty, this has to do with clarifying what is a planner's actual job. and i belive one's morals and ethics are part of being a planner and part of serving the public interest.

i'm not that high up the totem pole so my job is less political. i don't like playing politics but realize it sometimes has to be done.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    This one is really situation and (admin) environment dependent. Making the Mayor look good and serving the public interest may not be mutually exclusive. If someone wants to take a good project and spin it into a political drive for the Mayor - why not? In the public service you often have to let the politicos take the spotlight and get all of the glory. Whether or not you want to remind that person, and the rest of the committee that there are also additional laudable goals to work towards depends on your position and politicking within the org. If you're not high up or don't have much clout you may want to keep your head down.

If the Mayor wants to cut down a protected/significant woodlot to look good for a special interest group, that is different and as a professional I would say you are obligated to point out the impacts of this course of action and whether or not it would be legal - or something like that depending on the situation.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Moving into planning from administration
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Sep 2011, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Nov 2007, 9:10 AM
  3. WPA - Works Progress Administration
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Mar 2006, 5:06 PM