Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What little OCD things do you do...

Registered
    Aug 2007

What little OCD things do you do...

I was listening to the radio this morning and the DJ's were discussing little OCD things that they do. This got me thinking about what little strange obsessions I do.Here are some of my strange things:

-Anything that I can control and see the number on, has to be an even number. (volume on the tv, radio, my speed if driving a car with a digital speedometer, the temperature on a digital thermostat, etc.)

- When going through a yellow light I have to touch the ceiling of my car

- If I see the clock is 11:11 I make a wish on it

So what about you fellow Cyburbians, any strange things you do?

Keys, wallet, glasses, pen, and cell phone go in the same place every evening at home.

That's pretty much it, for me. I have compulsions aplenty, they just don't rise to the O in OCD.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    -M&Ms, or other candies of assorted colors, MUST be eaten by color in twos. The entire pile must be lined up by twos and eaten by taking the closest twos.
    The odd candies out of all colors are grouped and eaten first before I can think about them.

-I sleep better when all the clothes are in the hamper.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    -M&Ms, or other candies of assorted colors, MUST be eaten by color in twos. The entire pile must be lined up by twos and eaten by taking the closest twos.
    The odd candies out of all colors are grouped and eaten first before I can think about them.
    I have a similar habit. If I have a bag of skittles or other colored fruit candy I sort them by color and then take the odd candies out and eat them first. So if there are 5 greens, 8 red, 9 yellow, 8 orange, and 4 purple, I keep 4 of each color and eat the excess first. No idea why I started doing this. I remember doing it in the back of the car on the way to my grandparents' for Christmas when I was in 3rd grade. I'm not as religious about it with chocolate, because there isn't a flavor difference between the colors. See? It makes sense.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Usually have the volume on tv at number 9

When pumping gas I stop on a 0 or 5 (example $52.10 or $52.25)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Whenever I leave the house, I always stop at the end of the driveway and double-check that the garage door is all the way down. If I don't stop, I circle around the block and drive down the alley again.

I have to cut the foil off the wine bottle before I take out the cork. I just can't handle the jagged edge that's left when the cork is pulled through the foil. I also have the other liquor bottles arranged a certain way in the wet bar.

Right now, I don't think any of my other idiosyncratic behavior rises to OCD level. But hubby will tell you it's close!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

I hate it when the pump stops on the penny such as $30.01. It HAS to stop on the 0 or I will be forced to pump to the next dollar.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    food on the dinner plate must be eaten in a specific order (for example, all of the corn, then all of the potatoes, then all of the steak).

Only one open container of a certain food type is to be open in the cupboards at any given time (no matter how much I want to open the box of Count Chocula I cannot until the previosly opened box Special K has been finished).

All closet doors must be closed and secured and bedroom door must be open to its fullest possible extent before going to bed at night.

At work, my desk must be completely clear of any books, magazines, or paperwork before leaving for the day. Only the project that I will be looking at first thing in the morning is allowed out over night (and even then, only the most pertinent page(s) of that project). Additionally, on my desk next to my telephone the following items must be placed in this order (from bottom to top): steno style notebook, pad of paper taken from most recent hotel stay (currently its a pad from the FDIC Lodging Facility), one freshly sharpened pencil and one University of Michigan RSQE inkpen.

I cannot leave the gas station after filling up until I have ensured that I have recorded milage traveled since last filling, price per gallon paid, total gallons bought, and date (receipt generally covers this except I need to write the milage down... its when the pump doesn't print a receipt that I start to have problems).

That's all I can think of right now for my OCD but I should probably direct my fiance over to this thread... I'm sure that she could add a bunch more for me that I don't even realize I do.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i have to tell the pets, "No Wild Parties!" and that i love them before i leave the house.

i'm not obsessive about it (though i have been known to adjust existing rolls), but i prefer it when the toilet paper is in the holder so that the paper comes from above, not below the roll.

other than that i'm fairly laid back.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Whenever I leave the house, I always stop at the end of the driveway and double-check that the garage door is all the way down. If I don't stop, I circle around the block and drive down the alley again.
    I have done this too. Even now that I walk to work, I have circled back a couple of times.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    I hate it when the pump stops on the penny such as $30.01. It HAS to stop on the 0 or I will be forced to pump to the next dollar.
    Same here, I accidentally pumped over one time and spilled some gas on the side of my car, that was a bit embarrassing. Now I have mellowed out, and I will allow it to stop at xx.50 or xx.00.

I also am strange about making sure I lock the door before I leave the house in the morning, if there is any doubt in my mind, I will run back to check. 95% of the time it is locked but usually in the morning my mind is going 47 different places at once. I also can not leave the house with out my cell phone, I once turned around and drove 30 miles back to my house to grab my cell phone.

LOL, I guess I am crazy haha!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    You people are freaking nuts!!!!

I'm not sharing anything crazy that I may do
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    You people are freaking nuts!!!!

I'm not sharing anything crazy that I may do
    Aww. come on, what's the fun in that? We won't judge (too harshly anyway)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I do that too but it's just makes an easy way to scan my credit card billing for charges I didn't make, not really compulsive.

However, it's almost impossible for me to get out of bed on the other side.

Have to put left sock on before right, also left shoe before right.

Shirts go on before pants when starting from nekkid.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

T-shirts folded to four perfect corners

Collared shirts hung with perfectly formed collars minimizing the touching of adjacent shirts

just those two, weird huh?

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I don't like the food on my plate to touch. The potatoes should not touch the green beans, etc. And I eat one thing at a time (all the potatoes, then the beans, etc). I cannot just straighten a room in my house. If I'm going to do that, I have to dust, vaccuum, etc. This is why my house is often messy
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    3 is a bad number. 7 is a good number. I can't eat 3 of anything, it has to be more or less. I worked with an admin asst a few years ago who had this exact same thing going, with the same numbers.

When I'm doing something, it should be in fours: e.g., tapping my foot, stirring food.

I used to have this bad. It really started up in college when I first lived alone. Sometimes I would check the doors to make sure they were locked, and/or check the oven to make sure it was off, over and over and over... before I could go to bed. It was exhausting. I found myself counting words in sentences and trying to avoid any with 9 words. Then I had to try to hide it/stop around other people and I finally managed to train myself to quit doing the really weird stuff.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I try not to do repetitive tasks in multiples of 6, 7, 8, or 13. Basically, if there's any kind of luck attributed to a number (good or bad), I avoid it like the plague.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Closet organization

I have zoning districts for my clothes.
    The Mardi Gras section (seriously; I could go to a week-long event and not wear the same thing twice).
    The bike-decorated section (about to win another bicycle sweater on an auction site). (Lycra shorts and arm warmers are in a drawer; these are items imprinted with two-wheelers.)
    The periwinkle section (taking up more space every year.
    The contra dance dress section.
    The western hoe-down I'm caller of this here square dance section.
    Another rod is full of professional I know what I'm doing jackets, and they are hung in colorized order (white ivory beige peach coral etc.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I wouldn't call it OCD behavior, but I do eat my food in a certain order. I take a bite of the meat or the most tasty thing first. Then I eat my least favorite food on the plate, then the second favorite food, then the favorite (usually the meat).
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Oct 2003
    When using a red ink to underline terms or concepts, I once had to have it be a PaperMate bic pen. I wouldn't use any other red ink because it wouldn't catch my attention as well as any other red colours. Now that I've completed my school, I don't have thing about using a red PaperMate bic pen anymore.

I have a lot of things that I patternize in my writing. It probably comes from having to learn English as a second language and having to be ever so sure that whatever I'm writing makes sense visually. For example, I would never put a - and a , next to each other. Need an example?

Ever since I was given the gift by Joe and my two sisters - Marnie and Melissa - , I was thrilled to think that they would think so highly of me.

If I wanted to provide the names of my two sisters and still use the hypen, then I would re-write it as: "Ever since Joe and my two sisters - Marnie and Melissa - gave the gift to me, I was thrilled..."

In my car, I have a 6-cd player. The first cd must be the first Coldplay cd, the second cd must be the second Coldplay cd, and the third cd must be the third Coldplay cd. When the fourth Coldplay cd comes out in May, I wonder if I'll put it in the fourth spot!?!

When writing notes that I know or suspect that I will keep, I must write it on a 8 1/2 X 11 paper, not squeeze it all on a sheet from the desk notepad.

Someone mentioned about having corns, potatoes, and then meat. I'm actually the opposite. I eat the meat or the protein first, followed by vegetables and fruits with grains the last. But, I do this only because I was suggested to do this in order to get the most nutrients from the food that I eat.

Oh ya, the 11:11 thing reminds me of how whenever I see "9:11" on a digital clock, I am reminded of the 9/11 event. Not sure why it is so important for me to be reminded of 9/11 everytime I see 9:11 on a digital clock.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux View post
    ...the 11:11 thing reminds me of how whenever I see "9:11" on a digital clock, I am reminded of the 9/11 event. Not sure why it is so important for me to be reminded of 9/11 everytime I see 9:11 on a digital clock.
    As a former X-Phile...I always notice when a digital clock reads
    10:13.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When wearing a long sleeve dress shirt... I roll up my sleaves, roll down my sleaves [repeat thru the day]

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't think most of you have OCD; just habits. OCD interferes with daily life. It's not just how your live your life. It's compulsive stuff you have doing but can't help doing.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    ..... any strange things you do?
    Nope. I've perfectly re-adjusted to life on this planet.

I didn't know the toilet paper could be installed in another direction than over the top.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Apr 2012, 9:21 AM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 09 May 2010, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 9:41 AM
  4. two new things
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 17